|Bertha V. Mahan
Bertha V. Mahan 3 4 5 6
Another name for Bertha was Bertha Macken.1 7
FamilySearch ID: 9C6N-249.
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1870 in Hummelstown, Dauphin, PA. 8 The 1870 census recorded John Mahon, 42, living with wife Mary, 26; John, 8; Bertha, 4; and Fanny, 1. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
2. Census in 1900 in York, York, PA. 1 In the 1900 Census is listed John Beecher, age 38 born Jan 1862, married for 6 years to Bertha, 34, born Aug 1865. She had 3 children with 2 still living in 1900. He is a cigar maker. Living with them is Ward H, born July 1888; and Grace R. born Sep 1890 and John C. born Sep 1896. Everyone and everyone's parents were born in Pennsylvania.
3. Newspaper: Harrisburg Daily Independent: "New Cumterland: Mrs. Beecher, daughter Grace, and son John, of York, are spending several days with the former's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Mahan, of River street.", 17 May 1901, Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 9
4. Court: on 3 Sep 1901 in York, York, PA. Bertha Beecher residing at 391 S. 2nd St. in Steelton, PA appeared before C. F. Keech, York Alderman, and swore a signed statement that: "John H. Beecher, her husband, has by his barbarous and cruel treatment, mad life burdensome and home unbearable, and has driven his said wife and their minor child John Carson Beecher five years of age from their home, and has neglected and refused to properly support and maintain their said minor child the said John Carson Beecher."
5. Newspaper: Harrisburg Daily Independent: "New Cumterland: Mrs. Beecher, of York, Mrs. Frank Mahan, of Camden, N. J., and Mrs. Clarence Zarker, of Harrisburg, were guests of Mr. and Mrs. John Mahan, of River street, Sunday.", 3 Sep 1901, Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 10
6. Court: On 23 Sep 1901 the quarter sessions court ordered John H. Beecher to pay $150 bail conditioned that he pay to his wife the sum of $1.50 per week for the support of his child. on 23 Sep 1901 in York, York, PA.
7. Court: Mrs. Bertha Beecher filed with the court that she and John H. Beecher were living together at 105 E. Princess Street in York for the last two weeks with their minor child and that the said Beecher is supporting said child at home with $1.50 a week payment on 17 Jan 1902 in York, York, PA.
8. Newspaper: Harrisburg Daily Independent: "New Cumterland: Mrs. Beecher, of York, is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Mahan.", 11 Apr 1902, Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 11
9. Newspaper: Harrisburg Daily Independent: "New Cumterland: Mr. and Mrs. Beecher, of York, were guests of Mr. and Mrs. John Mahan, on Saturday.", 20 Mar 1905, Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 12
10. Census in 1910 in York, York, PA. 13 John Beacher [indexed in census as Beacher but handwriting can be Beecher], janitor, 45, was living with Bertha, home cleaner working out, 45, and John, 13. Bertha had birthed 3 children and 2 were alive in 1910. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
11. She was divorced on 31 Mar 1913 in York, York, PA. 3
12. Newspaper: York Daily: Divorce Cases: Divorces were granted to Bertha V. Beecher from John H. Beecher, 1 Apr 1913, York, York, PA. 3
13. Newspaper: York Dispatch: TAKEN TO STATE HOSPITAL, 11 Nov 1916, York, York, PA. 14 TAKEN TO STATE HOSPITAL - Mrs. Bertha Gotwalt and Mrs. Emma K. Wilson, both of this city, who had been inmates in the insane ward of the York county almshouse, were taken to tne state hospital at Harrisburg on the 1:40 o'clock train this afternoon. The women were in charge of Steward and Mrs. Charles E. Kessler and their daughter, Miss Lillian K. Gelsler.
14. Cause of Death: Bertha died at Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital in Harrisburg from paresis. She had been here since 11 Nov 1916., 5 Jul 1917, Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 4
15. Obituary: Harrisburg Telegraph: obituary of Mrs. Bertha V. Gotwalt on 6 Jul 1917 in Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 5 DEATHS. GOTWALT. -- Died on July 5, 1917, Mrs. Bertha V. Gotwalt, in her 52d years. Funeral services will be held on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, from the home of her brother, H. S. Mahan, 1610 North Fifth street, to which relatives and friends are invited to attend without further notice. Interment, Harrisburg Cemetery. York papers, please copy.
Bertha married John Henry Beecher, son of Paris Epler Beecher and Rebecca Guth, on 20 Sep 1883 in Glen Rock: Emmanuel United Methodist Church, York, PA.1 2 3 (John Henry Beecher was born on 14 Jan 1858 in Wrightsville, York, PA 15 16 17, christened in West Caln Twp.: St. John's Episcopal Church, Chester, PA, died on 26 Jan 1927 in York, York, PA 16 17 18 and was buried on 29 Jan 1927 in New Freedom: New Freedom Cemetery, York, PA 16 17 18.)
Bertha next married Gotwalt.
1 , Pennsylvania, York County, York Ward 6, Roll 1503 Book 1, Page 49.
2 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFMV-G9V John H. Beecher and Bertha Macken, 01 Jan 1895; citing Seven Valley, York, Pennsylvania, United States; FHL microfilm 22142.
3 , 1 April 1913, page 10. Divorce of Bertha V. Beecher from John H. Beecher.
4 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 75490. Bertha Gotwalt. Father John Mahan. Mother Mary Hogentogler.
5 , 6 July 1917, page 19. Obituary of Mrs. Bertha V. Gotwalt.
6 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/217658439.
7 , Pennsylvania, York County, Roll 1435 Book 1, Page 121b.
8 , https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZGV-CD9 John Mahon, Pennsylvania, United States; citing p. 11, family 87.
9 (Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania.), 17 May 1901, page 3.
10 (Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania.), 3 Sep 1901, page 8.
11 (Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania.), 11 Apr 1902, page 5.
12 (Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania.), 20 Mar 1905, page 4.
13 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MGC5-8M1 John Beacher Pennsylvania, York County, Roll 1435 Book 1, Page 121b.
14 , 11 Nov 1916, page 3.
15 , Pennsylvania, York County, Lower Windsor Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1201 Page: 502.
16 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 11624. John Henry Beecher. Father Paris E Beecher. Mother Rebecca Good.
17 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149637292.
18 (Ancestry.com. Original data: Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Historical Society of Pennsylvania.), Historical Society of Pennsylvania; Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records; Reel: 700. Trinity United Church of Christ, York, PA. Image 443 of 460. Burial of John Henry Beecher.
Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List
This website was created 21 May 2023 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by email@example.com