|Mary E. Church
Another name for Mary was Mary C..7
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1850 in District No. 23, Cooper, MO, USA. 8 The 1850 census Nelson Church, farmer, 41, living with wife Abigail, 36; daughters: Esther A., 14; Iuba M., 12; Amanda M., 10; Amelia E., 7; Mary E., 4; and sons Benjamin F., 2; and Leroy N., 1. The parents were born in New York, Esther and Iuba in Michigan, Amanda in Indiana, and the others in Missouri. Nelson's real estate was valued at $3000.
2. California State Census census in 1852 in , San Joaquin, CA. 9 The 1852 California Census recorded in San Joaquin county: Nelson Church, 48, born in Maine; wife Abigal, 38, born in New York; Esther A., 16, born in Michigan; Julia M., 14, born in Michigan; Amanda M., 12, born in Michigan; Amelia E., 9, born in MIssouri; Mary E., 6, born in Missouri; Benjamin F., 4, born in MIssouri.
3. Census in 1860 in Elkhorn Township, San Joaquin, CA, USA. 10 The 1860 census recorded Nelson Church, farmer, 50, living with wife Abigail, 45; Julia, 21; Amelia, 17; Mary E., 14; Benjamin F., 12; Nelson R., 10; and Martha E., 7. Nelson was born in Vermont, Abigail in New York, Julia in Michigan, Martha in California, and all other children in Missouri. The post office was Fugitts, Ca., which was renamed Liberty, whcih today is a ghost town.
4. Census in 1870 in Liberty, San Joaquin, CA, USA. 11 The 1870 census recorded living in Liberty: Abg. Church [indexed in census as Abe Church], female, 54, born in New York, with her daughter Mary Church, 23, and son Benjamin Church, 21, both born in Missouri. The Church's are in the household of D. Parer, harness maker, 33, born in Ohio, and his wife Amelia, 25, born in Missouri [who is Abigail's daughter.] The post office in 1870 was Stockton. [Today Liberty is a ghost town, originally named Fugitt's. The town's location was at today's Libery Rd. and Lower Sacramento Rd. in Acampo and all that remains is Liberty Cemetery to the east where Nelson Church is buried.]
5. Census in 1880 in Twp. No. 7, Shasta County, CA. 1 J. H. Beecher, merchant, 34, was a boarder living with his wife, Mary, 28; Gus. C., 4; and Jas. A., 2. J.H. was born in Ohio, his father in Pennsylvania, and mother in Nova Scotia. Mary was born in Michigan and her parents in New York. The children were born in California.
6. Census in 1900 in Anderson Twp., Shasta, CA. 6 James H. Beecher, 54, agent Wells Fargo, born Jun 1846, was married for 27 years to wife Mary E., 52, Dec 1847. She had birthed 4 children, all alive in 1900. With them: Edna, 15, Mar 1885; and George L., 11, Aug 1888. James was born in Ohio, his father in Pennsylvania, and mother in Nova Scotia. Mary was born in Missouri and her parents in Indiana. The children were born in California.
7. Census in 1910 in San Leandro, Alameda, CA. 7 James H. Beecher, occupation express, 64, was married for 38 years to wife Mary C., 61. She had birthed 4 children, 3 alive in 1910. With them was George L., 21. James was born in Ohio, his father in Pennsylvania, and mother in England. Mary was born in Missouri and her parents in Indiana. George was born in California. The column is checked to indicate James fought for the Union Army in the Civil War.
8. Census in 1920 in Visalia, Tulare, CA. 12 The 1920 census recorded that Mary E. Beecher [ indexed wrong in census as Bucher since two handwritten e's can look like a u ] was living as "aunt" in the household of Benjamin Franklin Lawless at 822 S. Chestnut Street i Visalia. [Ben's mother, born Esther E. Church, was the sister of Mary E. Church Beecher, and was the second wife of Ben's father, Charles W. Lawless.] In the 1920 census Mary is recorded as widowed, 74, and she and her parents were born in Missouri. Benjamin F. Lawless, occupation "bee man," 62, was with his wife, Pamella, 53; and sons Charles F., 20; Fedora, 18; and Clarence, 13. Ben was born in Canada, his father in Iowa and mother in Missouri. Pamela and her parents were French Canadians. Their sons were born in California.
Mary married James Harvey Beecher, son of Isaac Beecher and Mary Amanda Shaw. (James Harvey Beecher was born in 1846 in Tuscawarus Twp., Stark County, OH 1 6 13 14 15 and died on 20 Sep 1917 in , Alameda, CA 15 16.)
1 1880 United States Census, California, Shasta County, Township No. 7, Series: T9 Roll: 82 Page: 86.
2 California Vital Records, Death index record for James Alexander Beecher.
3 California Vital Records, Death index record for Gustave Clememes Beecher.
4 FamilySearch.org, California Death Index, 1940-1997 (Department of Public Health Services, Sacramento.), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VPD7-5GG James Alexander Beecher, 06 Feb 1947; citing Department of Public Health Services, Sacramento.
5 FamilySearch.org, <i>California, County Marriages, 1850-1952</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K8VG-W32 James H Beecher in entry for James A Beecher and Ella B. Nichols nee Barnes, 04 Jan 1942; citing p. 121, Los Angeles, California, United States; FHL microfilm 2114738.
6 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, California, Shasta County, Anderson Township, Series: T623 Roll: 112 Page: 94.
7 <i>1910 United States Census</i>, California, Alameda County, San Leandro City, Series: T624 Roll: 69 Page: 15.
8 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MDZ4-J17 Nelson Church, Cooper county, part of, Cooper, Missouri, United States; citing family 384, NARA microfilm publication M432.
9 FamilySearch.org, <i>California State Census</i>, 1852, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V4N6-RFR Nelson Church, San Joaquin, California; citing p. 82, State Archives, Sacramento; FHL microfilm 909233.
10 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, Year: 1860; Census Place: Elkhorn, San Joaquin, California; Roll: M653_64; Page: 952; Image: 338; Family History Library Film: 803064.
11 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Year: 1870; Census Place: Liberty, San Joaquin, California; Roll: M593_86; Page: 82B; Image: 168; Family History Library Film: 545585.
12 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, Year: 1920; Census Place: Visalia, Tulare, California; Roll: T625_153; Page: 13B; Enumeration District: 228; Image: 471.
13 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, Indiana, LaGrange County, Lima Village, Series: M653 Roll: 274 Page: 649.
14 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Indiana, LaGrange County, Lima, Series: M593 Roll: 333 Page: 250.
15 California Vital Records, Death index record for James H. Beecher.
16 California Vital Records, Death index record for James H Beecher.