|Francis Eugene "Franny" Beecher Sr.
Another name for Francis was Franny Beecher.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Fact: Franny Beecher's biography is published online at Wikipedia. Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franny_Beecher
2. Census in 1930 in Norristown, Montgomery, PA. 3 The 1930 census recorded Norman H. Lougharn, 40, living with wife Florence M., 35; step-sons Ellsworth Z. Beecher, 13; Francis E. Beecher, 8; and daughter Norma H. Lougharn, 0. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
3. Census in 1940 in Norristown, Montgomery, PA. 4 The 1940 census recorded Norman Lougharn, taxi driver, 50, living with wife Florence M., 45; daughter Norma Lougharn, 10; son Harry Lougharn, 8; and stepsons Ellsworth Beecher, bag maker in paper co., 23; and Francis Beecher, presser in fiber co., 18. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
4. Military on 26 Jan 1943 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA: World War II enlisted. His enlistment record:
5. Occupation: 1951 Norristown City Directory: Beecher, Frank E. (Florence) musician r 531 E. Main in 1951 in Norristown, Montgomery, PA. 5
6. Occupation: guitarist in 1955. In August 1955, Beecher played for the first time on national TV with Bill Haley and the Comets performing "Rock Around The Clock" and soon afterward was promoted to a full-time member of the band, appearing with the group in the films "Rock Around The Clock" and "Don't Knock The Rock."
7. Newspaper: Philadelphia Inquirer: New split-level homes, 124 and 130 Henry rd., Trooper, have been sold by James D. Scully for the Providence Hills Building Corp. To Francis E. Beecher and A. Frank Strouse, for $13,490 each., 2 Dec 1956, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 6
8. Immigration record when entering Brazil on 14 Apr 1958 in , , , Brazil. 1 Name: Francis Eugene Beecher
9. Newspaper: Delaware County Daily Times: Franny Beecher Quit The Commet, 14 Jul 1960, Chester, Delaware, PA. 7 Three musicians who have been members of the Bill Haley grouip for the past five years have quit the Comets.
10. Occupation: Car Salesman at Adam Scheidt Ford, 1400 W. Main St. Norristown on 11 Aug 1960 in Norristown, Montgomery, PA. 8
11. Newspaper: News Herald: Ad: Blue Anchor Inn, Route 309 Sellersville DANCING Friday and Saturday Nights to Franny Beecher and his Ambassadors, 1 Jul 1965, Perkasie, Bucks, PA, USA. 9
12. Newspaper: Lebanon Daily News: Ex-Comets remember rocking around clock, 17 Apr 1983, Lebanon, Lebanon, PA. 10 -----
13. Residence: 101 Henry Rd, Eagleville, PA on 24 Feb 2014 in Eagleville, Montgomery, PA, United States.
14. Obituary: New York Times: Franny Beecher, 92, Rock Guitarist for the Comets, Dies on 25 Feb 2014 in New York, New York, NY. 11 Franny Beecher, who joined Bill Haley and His Comets as lead guitarist after the group had helped kick off the rock 'n' roll era with the hit "Rock Around the Clock" in the 1950s, died on Monday in a nursing home near Philadelphia. He was 92.
15. Obituary: Philadelphia Inquirer: Franny Beecher, 92, guitarist for Comets on 26 Feb 2014 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 12 (photo: Franny Beecher in 2005)
16. Obituary: Times Herald: obituary of Francis E. Beecher Sr. On 26 Feb 2014 in Norristown, Montgomery, PA. 13 Francis E. Beecher "Franny", Sr. of Norristown, passed away peacefully on Monday February 24, 2014. He was 92 years old. Born September 29, 1921, in Norristown, he was the son of the late Eugene and Mamie (nee Schreck) Beecher and the beloved husband of Florence T. (nee Organtini) Beecher with whom he shared over 60 years of marriage. Franny was a world renowned guitarist and composer of music who started out playing country & western. He composed the guitar instrumental "Goofin' Around" and "Blue Comet Blues" among others. Early on Franny performed with Buddy Greco & the Four Sharps when he was discovered by Benny Goodman. Franny performed as a member of the Benny Goodman Beep Bop Band, Sextet and Orchestra. He was best known as an original member of Bill Haley and The Comets, performing on national T.V. many times and had appeared in many motion pictures with the band. He traveled extensively throughout the world during his music career, which spanned over 75 years and finally retired in 2007. He became a legend in his own time. Franny continued to play locally performing at the Bridgeport Rib House up until the age of 90. He was inducted in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame in 2012, the Wildwood Hall of Fame in 2012, the Rock-A-Billy Hall of Fame in 1997 and was most recently in 2013, inducted into the Norristown High Hall of Fame Class of 1938. In his spare time and at home, Franny enjoyed spending time in front of the T.V. watching old cowboy and monster movies. He was a prankster and playful teaser who loved to press his luck playing the lottery and at bingo. Most of all he looked forward to Sunday morning breakfasts at the Collegeville diner and spending time with his family. Franny will be sadly missed by his wife Florence his three children; Francis E. Beecher, Jr. and his wife Karen, Pauline A. Grinstead and her husband William, and Robert J. Beecher, he is the proud grandfather of; Michelle Beecher, Jennifer Portela (Juan), Rebecca Nagle, Patricia Cutrona (Girolamo), Dereck Beecher (Jocelyn), and Brandon Beecher, and three great grandchildren; Paulina Portela, Olivia Portela and Carmela Cutrona. He was preceded in death by four siblings. Relatives and friends are invited to share in Franny's Life Celebration service on Friday February 28, from 6 to 9 PM at Boyd-Horrox of East Norriton, 200 West Germantown Pike 610-277-7000. Eulogy and Remembrance service will begin at 7:30 PM, and the viewing will continue after. Interment will be private at the convenience of the family.
Francis married Florence Theresa Organtini, daughter of Alfonso Organtini and Helen Marie Viviani. (Florence Theresa Organtini was born on 2 May 1925 in Norristown, Montgomery, PA 14.)
1 FamilySearch.org, <i>Brasil, Cartões de Imigração, 1900-1965</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KX2H-J57 Francis Eugene Beecher, 1958.
2 <i>The Times Herald (Norristown, PA)</i> (Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania. http://www.timesherald.com/), 26 Feb 2014. Obituary of Francis E. Beecher.
3 <i>1930 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHZQ-MP5 Norman H Lougharn, 1930.
4 <i>1940 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQC8-9R7 Norman Lougharn, Ward 1, Norristown, Norristown Borough, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 46-134, sheet 3B, family 58.
5 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, 1951 Norristown City Directory, page 49, online image 28.
6 <i>Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA)</i>, 2 Dec 1956, page 51.
7 <i>Delaware County Daily Times</i> (Chester, Pa.), Page 37.
8 <i>The Mercury (Pottstown, PA)</i>, 11 Aug 1960, page 29.
9 <i>News Herald (Perkasie, PA)</i>, 1 Jul 1965, page 7.
10 Lebanon Daily News, 17 Apr 1983, page 63. Music.
11 <i>New York Times</i> (New York, New York. Some articles online at http://query.nytimes.com/), https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/arts/music/franny-beecher-92-rock-guitarist-for-the-comets-dies.html?mcubz=3 25 February 2014 Newspaper Page B16.
12 <i>Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA)</i>, 26 Feb 2014, page B5. Obituary of Franny Beecher.
13 <i>The Times Herald (Norristown, PA)</i> (Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania. http://www.timesherald.com/), 26 Feb 2014. Obituary of Francis E. Beecher. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesherald/obituary.aspx?n=francis-e-beecher&pid=169861998.
14 <i>1930 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHZQ-4VD Florence Organtini in household of O Organtini, Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 0101, sheet 10B, family 178.