Johan Peter Becher
Anna Maria Schneiderin
Johan Engel Becher
(1731-1815)

 

Family Links

Johan Engel Becher 1

  • Born: 1731, Sadweitschen, Ostpreussen, Prussia 1
  • Christened: 3 Nov 1731, Sadweitschen: Deutsch Reformierte Kirche, Ostpreussen, Prussia 1
  • Died: 18 Nov 1815 at age 84

  Noted events in his life were:

1. Residence: in Gusev, , Kalingrad Oblast, Russia. This town is today known as Gusev, Russia.

Gusev (German: Gumbinnen; Lithuanian: Gumbine; Polish: Glabin/Gabin) is a town and the administrative center of Gusevsky District of Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, located at the confluence of the Pissa and Krasnaya Rivers, near the border with Poland and Lithuania, east of Chernyakhovsk.

The settlement of Gumbinnen (from Lithuanian: Gumbine: tuber) in the Duchy of Prussia was first mentioned in a 1580 deed. The village had been laid out at the behest of the Hohenzollern duke Albert of Prussia in 1545. In 1709-11, the area was devastated by the plague and had to be redeveloped under the rule of King Frederick William I of Prussia. He granted Gumbinnen town privileges in 1724 and from 1732 resettled the area with Protestant expellees from the Archbishopric of Salzburg, who had been exiled by Prince-Archbishop Count Leopold Anton von Firmian.

Under border changes promulgated at the Potsdam Conference in 1945, northern East Prussia, including Gumbinnen, became part of the Russian Federation, and the town's name was changed to Gusev, in honor of a Red Army captain, Sergei Ivanovich Gusev, who was killed in action near Gumbinnen in January 1945.

2. Die Deutsch-Schweizerische Reformierte Gemeinde in 1731 in Sadweitschen, Ostpreussen, Prussia. Satellite photo of church: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Szirgup%C3%B6nen&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.592546,22.281615&spn=0.001354,0.004128&sll=54.52427,21.670532&sspn=2.776904,8.453979&t=h&z=19

History of church from http://www.judtschen.de/Fritz-Schuetz.html

Diese Kirche wurde etwa 1714 in Sadweitschen erbaut, sie war eine sogen. Kirchenscheune, deren Bauausführung gleich im ersten Jahrzehnt derartige Mängel aufwies, dass sie einzustürzen drohte und die Kolonisten wiederholt zu lebhaften Klagen Anlass nahmen. Der erste Prediger in Sadweitschen war Heinrich Wasmuth. Gemeinsam mit dem französisch-schweizerischen Kolonisten erreichten die Sadweitscher deutschschweizerischen endlich vom König 1731, gelegentlich seines Besuches in Gumbinnen, den völligen Neubau einer reformierten Kirche in Gumbinnen, die 1736 begannen, in Gegenwart des Königs 1739 feierlich eingeweiht wurde. Mit diesem Augenblick wurde die Sadweitscher Gemeinde mit der Gumbinner reformierten Gemeinde verschmolzen und zwar so, dass die Benutzung der Kirche der deutsch-reformierten und der französisch-reformierten Gemeinde partitätisch zustand. Nach einer anfänglichen etwas schwierigen Regelung des Gottesdienstes wurde er für die Folge so gehandhabt, dass vormittags die französische und nachmittags die deutsche Gemeinde Gottesdienst abhielten. Von der Deutsch-Schweizerischen Kirchengemeinde in Sadweitschen sind uns noch erhalten das Taufregister und das Sterberegister. Die Eintragungen lassen erkennen, dass die Schreibung zwischen deutschen und französischen Schweizerkolonisten nicht so scharf durchgeführt worden ist, denn es sind eine beträchtliche Anzahl französische Schweizer wenn auch z. T. unter erbärmlich verstümmelten Namen darunter. Allem Anschein nach war die Zugehörigkeit zur Sadweitscher Kirche auch abhängig von der Entfernung, die doch zuweilen recht beträchtlich war, und Asphaltstraßen hatte man noch nicht. Besonderes Interesse beansprucht in den Sadweitschen Kirchenbücher der in Preußischen tätig gewesene sogen. "Schweizerdoktor" Joachim Legler, der mit dem Burggrafen Alexander zu Dohna und dem Schweizerinspektor Lacarriere in Judtschen das Dreigestirn bildete, das sich um das Wohl der Schweizerkolonie außerordentliche Verdienste erworben hat. Sein Geburtsort war bis heute unbekannt. Mit dankenswerter Hilfe des Kantonarchivs in Glarus ist für sicher zu halten, dass er aus Diesbach im Kanton Glarus stammte, von wo er mit seinem Bruder Rysch in Pruszischken landete. Auch sein Sterbetag war bisher unbekannt, ich habe ihn im Sadweitscher Sterberegister feststellen können. Joachim Legler kam 1712 als Begleiter eines Zuges Schweizer in Ostpreußen an, nach unsäglichen Schwierigkeiten, nach entsetzlichem Kampf mit Krankheit und Entbehrungen, die Legler aber immer wieder für seine Weggenossen zu überwinden verstand. Er gelangte nach Pruszischken und blieb dort mitten unter seinen Landsleuten. Für die Folge betätigte er sich nicht nur als Arzt, sondern als Landwirt, da auch ihm Land zugeteilt war. Vor allem widmete er sich dem Wohlergehen seiner Landsleute, die in den völlig fremden Verhältnissen doch recht viel auszuhalten hatten. Sein nicht unbedeutendes Vermögen war durch seine ständige Hilfsbereitschaft zusammengeschmolzen, so dass es ihm im Alter von 66 Jahren (eingewandert war er mit 46 Jahren) recht schlecht ging. Dies kam besonders zum Ausdruck, als ihm durch den Landphysikus Dr. Gottsched, dem Bruder des Dichters, die Ausübung seiner ärztlichen Tätigkeit untersagt wurde, offenbar weil er in Preußen damals vorgeschriebenen Examina nicht nachweisen konnte. Dies führte zu einem schweren Konflikt, in dem seine Landsleute durch wiederholte Eingaben an den König um Aufhebung des Verbotes eingriffen, das endlich den Erfolg hatte, dass Legler unbehelligt blieb. Meine Umfrage bei den in Betracht kommenden medizinischen Schweizer Universitäten konnte den Nachweis seines medizinischen Studiums nicht erbringen, doch müssen seine ärztlichen Kenntnisse, wir er sie auch erworben haben mag, so bedeutend gewesen sein, dass außer den offenkundigen Bezeugungen seiner Landsleute, er bei einem militärischen Kommando von 500 Mann zur Regulierung der Pissa in Szirgupönen das Zeugnis eines ausgezeichneten Arztes erhielt. Es steht jedenfalls fest, dass er sich einer außerordentlichen Liebe und Verehrung erfreute. Sein Grab ist unbekannt verschwunden und kein Denkmal aus Stein ehrt das Andenken an diesen vortrefflichen Mann. Und doch kann es kein schöneres Denkmal geben, wie die schlichte Eintragung in das Sadweitscher Sterberegister: Es starb am 9. Oktober 1744 "der alte schweizer Doctor, 84 Jahre alt." Ich muss nochmals auf die Kirche in Sadweitschen zurückkommen. Bei der Vereinigung mit der Kirche in Gumbinnen wurde das Sadweitscher Gebäude abgebrochen und verwendbares vermutlich in der Gumbinner Kirche verbaut. Dass "zwei lange Kirchenbänke" urkundlich dem historischen Krug in Sadweitschen übermacht sein sollen, ist ein Märchen. Bei der in Fragen kommenden Urkunde handelt es sich um den Kaufkontrakt des Rittmeisters von Falck über den Krug zu Sadweitschen, in welchem gesagt ist, "dass er alles was erd-, niet- und nagelfest ist", dazulassen hat, an Inventarienstücken aber nichts mehr als einen langen Tisch nebst denen dazu gehörenden Banken. Diese Urkunde ist von 1726, also aus einer Zeit, in der noch niemand an die Auflösung der Sadweitscher Kirche gedacht hat. Und dann soll in jener tief religiösen Zeit dieses Geschenk ausgerechnet an einen Krug erfolgt sein?

English translation by Google:

This church was built about 1714 in Sadweitschen, she was an absorbed. Barn Church, whose construction in the very first decade had such defects that it threatened to collapse and the settlers repeatedly animated actions, was attended. The first preacher was Henry Sadweitschen Wasmuth. Together with the Swiss-French Swiss-German settlers who arrived Sadweitscher finally by the King in 1731, on occasion of his visit to Gumbinnen, the completely new construction of a Reformed Church in Gumbinnen, which began in 1736, was inaugurated in the presence of the king in 1739 solemnly. From that moment, the municipality was merged with Sadweitscher Gumbinner reformed community in such a way that the use of the German Reformed Church and the French Reformed congregation partitätisch state. After an initial bit difficult regulation of the service he was for the episode managed so that in the morning and in the afternoon, the French, the German church service were holding. Of the German-Swiss church in Sadweitschen us have survived the baptismal register and the register of deaths. The records reveal that the letters between German and French colonists Swiss has not been carried out so sharply, because there are a considerable number of French Swiss albeit partly under names including pathetic mutilated. It appears that the membership of the church was Sadweitscher also depends on the distance, but that was sometimes quite substantial, and asphalt roads had not yet known. Special interest claimed in the Sadweitschen church books in the Prussian works gewesene absorbed. "Swiss Doctor" Joachim Legler, who formed the Viscount Alexander Dohna and Swiss inspector Lacarriere Judtschen in the triad, which has gained for the welfare of the Swiss colony extraordinary achievements. His place of birth was unknown. Thankfully with the help of the Archives in Canton Glarus is to hold for certain that it came from this stream in the canton of Glarus, where he landed with his brother in Rysch Pruszischken. His dying day was unknown, I can find him in Sadweitscher Death. Joachim Legler 1712 came as a companion to a Swiss train in East Prussia. After unspeakable difficulties after horrific battle with illness and deprivation that Legler but always understood to overcome for his fellow It reached Pruszischken and remained among his countrymen. For the episode, he was active not only as a doctor but as a farmer, as well as his country was allocated. Above all, he devoted himself to the welfare of his countrymen who were in the completely strange situation but endure a lot. His not inconsiderable fortune had dwindled by its constant willingness to help, so that he was at the age of 66 years (he had immigrated at 46 years) was pretty bad. This was particularly expressed when it was prohibited by the Landphysikus Dr. Gottsched, the brother of the poet, the exercise of his medical practice, apparently because he did not at that time in Prussia was prescribed examinations. This led to a serious conflict in which intervened his countrymen by repeated petitions to the king for lifting the ban, which finally had the success that Legler remained undisturbed. My survey of the eligible medical Swiss universities could provide proof of his medical studies do not yet have his medical knowledge, we may he have it also acquired, have been so significant that apart from the obvious evidences of his countrymen, he military in a command of 500 men to regulate Pissa in Szirgupönen received the testimony of a distinguished physician. It is certain that he is an extraordinary love and devotion pleased. His grave is gone unknown and a stone monument honoring the memory of this excellent man, and yet there can be no finer monument, like the simple entry in the Sadweitscher Death: It died on 9 October 1744 "the old Swiss Doctor, 84 years old." I have to come back to the church in Sadweitschen. In union with the Church in Gumbinnen was Sadweitscher the building was demolished and usable probably built in the Gumbinner church. That "two long pews" documented the historic pitcher should be about making in Sadweitschen is a fairy tale. When coming into questions certificate is the purchase contract of the captain of Falck on the pitcher to Sadweitschen, is told in what, "he everything is buried, nailed firmly," to be, has to Invent aria pieces but nothing more as a long table along with those associated banks. This document is from 1726, that is from a time in which no one has thought of the resolution of Sadweitscher church. And then at that time deeply religious this present is calculated to be a pitcher?
.


Sources


1 FamilySearch.org, Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NVZS-CQB.



Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This website was created 8 Jul 2024 with Legacy 10.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by searchtrees@gmail.com