Henry Eisenhard 1
- Born: 1793 1
- Marriage (1): Mary Schmoyer
- Died: 1885 at age 92 1
- Buried: Trexlertown, Lehigh, PA 1
Noted events in his life were:
1. Book: History of Lehigh County, Volume II, 1914. 1
Henry Eisenhard, son of Andrew, was a farmer and mason in Macungie Township. He was born in 1793 and died in 1885, and was buried at Trexlertown. He married Mary Schmoyer and had seven children: Mary, who died single: Henry; Jonas; Lewis; Elvina, married Charles Ritter; Susanna, who died at the age of eighteen years and Paul.
Lewis Eisenhard, son of Henry, was a tanner and carpenter in Macungie Township, and a member of the Lehigh Church Lutheran congregation. He married Mary, daughter of Conrad Ainey and wife, nee Bogert.
Oscar O. Eisenhard, son of Lewis was born March 13, 1862, at Chapman's Station. He attended the schools of his native township as well as other in Whitehall and Fullerton and was employed for several years on a farm, after which he was employed as a furnaceman in the Allentown Rolling Mills for one year.
In 1882, he began to learn the business of a confectioner, and was employed by M. E. Brobst & Company, and by a Philadelphia firm. In 1902 he went into the confectionery business and after having conducted both manufacturing and retail business with Calvin Haas and John L. Landis, sold out in 1908 to H. F. Hausman and started in business at 1009 Hamilton Street. In March 1912, he went into the manufacturing business at 38 North Sixth Street, which he still conducts.
Mr. Eisenhard is a member of St. Michael's Lutheran Church, where he has served as deacon. He is a member of Greenleaf Lodge, No 561, F & A. M.; Allen Chapter, No 203, R. A. M.; Allen Commandery, No 20, K. T.; Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; Mary Livingston Chapter No 167, O. E. S.; and Carroll Council, Sr. O. A M. No 71.
Mr. Eisenhard married, April 5, 1885, Miss Carrie E. Heimbach, daughter of Benjamin F. and Julia Ann (Wentz) Heimbach. Mrs. Eisenhard was the organizer of and first worthy matron of Anne Penn Allen Chapter No 145, Order of the Eastern Star in 1913, and in 1914, was one of the organizers of and the first presiding officer of Mary Livingstone Chapter No 167, of the same order as well as a member of the Palestine White Shrine, No 5, meeting in Philadelphia.
Charles William Henry Eisenhard was born Nov 10, 1879, in Lower Macungie Township. He is a son of Charles Eisenhard and Tevilla Miller, and grandson of Henry Eisenhard of East Macungie, whose wife was a Jacoby. The parents of Tevilla Miller were William R. Miller and wife Catherine nee Kehm.
Charles W. H. Eisenhard attended the public schools of Lower Macungie and Salisbury townships. Having had early in life an inclination for teaching, he took two Spring courses of study in the Emaus High School. When he was ten years of age he had to leave school for two years, and after that missed from six to thirty days in a term. Notwithstanding these discouragements he kept on studying faithfully and supplementing his high school education with private studies he was able on Aug 31, 1901 to successfully pass a teacher's examination. The following term he commenced teaching in Ritter's school, Salisbury township, and has taught in said township ever since.
While teaching he took private lesson in algebra from Edward Yellis, Professor of Mathematics in the Moravian Seminary, and in 1910 and 1911 he attended the Saturday course for teachers at Muhlenberg College, taking a course in mathematics under Prof. J. A. Bowman. In December, 1912, he was granted a Teacher's Professional Certificate.
Mr. Eisenhard was married in 1902 to Gertie E., daughter of Hiram B. and Senia (Sell) Long. This union was blessed with the following children: Malcolm Charles Russell, born Sept 29, 1902; Althea Tevilla Orpha, born Dec 30, 1905; and Emerson Everett, born April 1, 1910.
Mr. Eisenhard, although his ancestors were Republicans, accepted the principles of the Democratic party. His first vote for President was for William Jennings Bryan, in 1900. Having served his party as township committeeman for three years, and in 1908 as chairman of the Third Legislative District of Lehigh County, he was in 1909 elected justice of the peace of Salisbury township for a term of five years, which term will be extended to the first Monday in 1916.
He is a member of the Reformed Church and was confirmed by the Rev. Charles E. Schaeffer at the Western Salisbury Church. To this church he still belongs, having served therein as a deacon, elder and trustee. He attended the Sunday school of the church and served over seven years as its superintendent. Later he organized the St. John's Sunday school at Summit Lawn, and he has been its superintendent ever since, except one year.
Mr. Eisenhard belongs to Lehigh Chamber O., K. of F., Lecha Wonk Tribe, I. O. R. M. and Lehigh Consultery, No 40, K. F.
He is a stockholder in the Mountainville Telephone Company, a rural line of the Bell Company and served as its secretary since its organization. During the last three terms he has been teacher of the Mountainville grammar school, also an officer for several years of the Lehigh County Teacher's Annual Institute.
William Walter Eisenhard, proprietor of the West End Hotel, Allentown, was born in the old Masonic Temple, Trexlertown, Jan 25, 1876. He was educated in the common schools and later learned the trade of barber with M. F. Thomas of Allentown. For a period of 16 years he successfully conducted a barber shop in the West End Hotel.
On April 1, 1913, he purchased his father's interest in the hotel, who also owned and conducted it. The building contains about fifty rooms, together with bar connections. The hotel employs ten hands. Mr. Eisenhard is a member of the Longswamp Reformed Church, and is a charter member of the Good Will Fire Company.
In 1896 he was married to Sallie R. Long, daughter of Dr. M. S. and Mary Swartz, of Longswamp. They have three children: Ray, Harry and Hilda.
Henry married Mary Schmoyer.