Deborah Jane Benson 1 2
- Born: 4 Mar 1953, Dalton, Whitfield, GA 1 2
- Marriage (1): James Elon Abernethy
- Marriage (2): Jonathan Scott Beacher
- Marriage (3): Jerry Jenkins
- Died: 18 Feb 2020 at age 66 1 2
- Buried: 21 Feb 2020, Dallas, Paulding, GA 1 2
FamilySearch ID: G2ZV-FGH.
Noted events in her life were:
1. Obituary: Benson Funeral Home: Obituary of Deborah Benson Abernethy on 18 Feb 2020 in Dallas, Paulding, GA. 1 2 Deborah Benson Abernethy passed this life in the warm and loving embrace of her family on February 18, 2020, just fifteen days short of her 67th birthday, after losing her struggle against brain cancer. Deborah is survived by her daughter Marisa and son-in-law John Duvoisin of Rye, NY; son Matthew, daughter-in-law Hadley, and granddaughter Reynolds Abernethy of Atlanta, GA; husband Jerry Jenkins of Hilton Head, SC; sister Susan and brother-in-law Tony Wilson of Dallas, GA; brother Jamie and sister-in-law Amy Benson of Dallas, GA; and the extended Abernethy and Benson families.
Deborah, the eldest child of James and Robbie Benson, was born in Dalton, GA on March 4, 1953. She grew up in Dallas, GA, attended Paulding County High School (1971), graduated undergrad from the University of Georgia (1974, where she was Editor of the UGA Yearbook), and later received her appraisal degree from George Washington University. Throughout her life, Deborah was active in a myriad of pursuits and interests both personal and work related, including working as a caterer, a home economics teacher, an executive headhunter, a kitchen designer, a docent for the Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory University, a genealogy researcher, treasurer of the International Society of Appraisers, Daughter of the King member at the Cathedral of St. Philip where she did needlework and embroidery, champion trick water skier, and accomplished scuba diver. Deborah was an accomplished art and antiques appraiser, which became the main passion of her working life. She established and ran her own appraisal business, Deborah Abernethy Appraisers, Inc., for which she received recognition with a 35-year Lifetime Achievement Award from Who's Who in America. Before her cancer was diagnosed in July 2019, she traveled frequently from South Carolina back to Atlanta to remain engaged in her business activities. Her granddaughter, Reynolds, was the light of her life and the thing she wanted most for the remainder of her life was to hold Reynolds and her future grandbabies in her arms. Deborah was a delight and inspiration to all who knew and loved her and she will be sorely missed, but her indomitable spirit will live on in our cherished memories of her and she will forever be in our hearts.
Visitation will be held on Thursday, February 20th from 4-8PM and Friday, February 21st from 12-2PM, with memorial services being held on Friday, February 21st at 2PM in the chapel at Benson Funeral Home, 309 Hardee St., Dallas, GA, 30132, with interment following the service in the Benson family plot at Dallas Memory Gardens.
Deborah married James Elon Abernethy. (James Elon Abernethy was born in Jul 1957 and died on 28 Feb 2005 in Marion, Perry, AL, United States.)
Deborah next married Jonathan Scott Beacher, son of John Henry Beacher and Isabel Martha Bury.
Deborah next married Jerry Jenkins.