Jacob Mayer
Maria Magdalena Karcher
Jacob Saylor
Rebecca Moyer
Rev. Daniel Saylor


Family Links

Rev. Daniel Saylor 1

  • Born: 24 Dec 1807, West Brunswick Twp., Schuylkill, PA 1
  • Christened: 6 Mar 1808, West Brunswick Twp.: Zion Red Church, Schuylkill, PA 1

  Noted events in his life were:

1. Baptism on 6 Mar 1808 in West Brunswick Twp.: Zion Red Church, Schuylkill, PA. Daniel, son of Jacob Seler & Rebecca, b. 24 Dec 1807, bp. 6 Mar 1808. Sponsors: Daniel Herdt 1

2. Book: History of Schuylkill County, 1881. 2
Evangelical Church. - The church of the Evangelical Association in Schuylkill Haven was organized in 1830. Rev. J. M. Saylor and his brother Daniel were the only members at the time of its organization. Both are still living. In 1835 the first trustee meeting was held, at which it was determined to erect a house of worship. This determination was carried into effect, and in 1836 the house was dedicated. It was a stone building, 38 by 50 feet, with a basement, and it stood on the site of the present church on St. Peter's street. At the time of ded- icating this church the membership had increased to sixty. A Sunday-school was organized the same year, with Daniel Saylor as superintendent. Worship was con- tinued in this church till 1856, when the increase of the congregation had come to require a larger and more commodious house and the present edifice, which is termed St. Peter's Church, was erected. It is of brick, 42 by 70, with a basement and gallery, and its cost was $8,000.

By reason of the loss of the church records it is not practicable to give a list of the many pastors that have served this church.

In 1873 Trinity Church branched from this congrega- tion to organize a church in which the services should be conducted wholly in the English language. In St. Peter's the German is used in a portion of the services. The present number of members is two hundred and twenty- one.

The Sunday-school was continued under the superin- tendence of Mr. Saylor for more than twenty years. He was followed by F. G. Boos, and he by Harry Sausser, the present superintendetit. The school numbers two hundred and fifty scholars.


1 Phillip A. Rice, Early Records of Zion's or "Old Red" Union Church (Closson Press, Apollo, PA 2003.), page 42.

2 W. W. Munsell, History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (New York: W. W. Munsell & Co., 36 Vesey Street, 1881), page 253.

Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This website was created 8 Jul 2024 with Legacy 10.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by searchtrees@gmail.com