Rev. John Conrad Bucher Sr. 1 2 3 4 5 6
- Born: 10 Jun 1730, Neunkirch, Schaffhausen, , CHE 2 3 4 6 7
- Marriage (1): Maria Magdalena Hoch on 26 Feb 1760 in Carlisle, Cumberland, PA 1 2
- Died: 15 Aug 1780, Annville, Lebanon, PA at age 50 1 2 3 6
- Buried: Lebanon: Tabor First Reformed Church, Lebanon, PA 1 6
Another name for John was Rev. Johan Conrad Bucher.8
FamilySearch ID: LH7K-7DK.
This ancestor is included in our Genealogy Y-DNA Research which reveals the others he is related to.
If you are a male, you can learn who your earliest ancestor is by participating in our Genealogy Y-DNA Research with a simple two-minute mail-in test. See http://www.searchtrees.com/dna for the latest research findings.
He went to Annville to perform a nuptial ceremony, and amidst the festivities of the occasion suddenly expired from heart disease.
Tombstone inscriptions in First German Reformed graveyard of Lebanon, Pa. reads:
Hier Ruhet Im Todt Der Leib Conrad Bucher Prediger 12 Yahr In Libanon Geboren Den 10ten Juni, 1730. Mit Seiner Ehefrau, Magdalena, Lebte Er 20 Yahre Zeigte S. Kinder - 4 Sind In Die Ewigkeit Vorangegangen, Gestorben Den 15ten August, 1780. Seines Ruhmvolles Alters, 50 Y., 2 M. Und 5 Tage. Bucher.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Fact: Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 9 Researchers of this Bucher should note there is a special file at the Pennsylvania State Archives in Manuscript Group 382 to be explored, described as follows:
Papers of John Conrad Bucher and his descendants and of the related Frederick Hummel family of nearby Hummelstown. A veteran of both the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War, John Conrad Bucher, 1730-1780, was a minister of the German Reformed Church, Harrisburg. His son, John Jacob Bucher, 1764-1827, was a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature, 1803-1808, 1814-1816, and John Jacob's son, John Conrad Bucher, 1792-1851, was a member of the United States Congress 1831-1833. Frederick Hummel, 1728-1779, was the founder of Hummelstown.
The Papers consist of correspondence, receipts, business and legal documents, engravings, photographs and miscellaneous items pertaining to the careers of The Rev. John Conrad Bucher, John Jacob Bucher and Representative John Conrad Bucher. The Bucher/Hummel Family Papers are divided in to five parts: papers of The Rev. John Conrad Bucher (1730-1780); 2) papers of his son John Jacob Bucher (1764-1827); 3) papers of Jacob's son Representative John C. Bucher (1792-1851); 4) papers of other descendants, which include the records of Eliza Bucher Hummel and related family; and 5) a large collection of genealogical notes spanning two generations.
The papers of Rev. John Conrad Bucher (1730-1780) include French and Indian War muster rolls and returns for Lieutenant Colonel Asher Clayton's 2nd Battalion, Pennsylvania Regiment, 1764 (some signed by Conrad Bucher, Adjutant) and military orders (1759-1771), correspondence (1761-1777) (some in German, at least one with a translation), sermon notes (1734-1755), almanacs (1768 & 1771), and a print of Bucher's sister Mary Elisabeth. There are also a few letters to Mary (Hook/Hoch) Bucher, wife of J. Conrad (1788-1790). The papers of John Jacob Bucher (1764-1827) include business records (1799-1825), correspondence (1784-1827), a diary (1785-1790), a pass to travel to Switzerland 1789 (with seal), trip notes (1789), and a will and an estate inventory (1827-1840). The inventory for Susan (Horter/Hurter) wife of J. Jacob (1839), also will of her father John Horter (1823). There are also miscellaneous documents concerning the children.
The papers of John Conrad Bucher (1792-1851) include letters of appointment and election (1825-1850), correspondence (1813-1848), personal and travel journals (1811, 1818-1827), cash account books (1853-1867), legal documents (1839-1847), a seating diagram of Congress with names (undated), and an invitation from the President (unsigned). Also present are Ellen (Isett) Bucher personal papers (1825-1881), and books of remembrance for her daughters, one with a booklet of hair samples.
Other papers include legal documents, handwritten wills, newspaper clippings and other memorabilia for descendants (1850-1948), focusing on the line of Eliza Bucher Hummel, the daughter of John Conrad Bucher, her daughter Elizabeth Hummel Fendrich, and her granddaughter Eliza (Fendrich) MacDonald and their descendants.
The genealogical information includes letters from various relatives regarding the Bucher and Hummel families, along with Horter, Hook and other families. A Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) form is included that takes the Bucher family back five generations. Several unidentified pictures are included and a more recent negative which appears to have been made for Mrs. Ralph Wilson. Subject files are arranged alphabetically, with individual records in chronological order. <a href="http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/DAM/mg/ys/m382ys.pdf">See box list for details.</a>
2. He has conflicting birth information of 13 Jul 1730 and Neunkirch, Schaffhausen, , CHE. 1
3. He immigrated from 1755 to 1757. 1 No ship has been yet identified in our research. We are still looking. Since John Conrad was recruited to America by the British to serve in the military, he may not have arrived in the fashion of most German/Swiss immigrants and therefore is not recorded on any passenger list in Pennsylvania German Pioneers or other volumes. British citizens coming to America were not considered immigrants nor were they required to take the Oath of Allegiance to the King upon arrival, so the solider John Conrad may have discreetly arrived aboard a military ship.
4. Military in 1758: expedition of General Forbes for the reduction of the French at Fort Duquesne. 1
5. He appeared as a sponsor at a baptism on 22 Jul 1767 at Carlisle, Cumberland, PA. John Conrad Bucher and wife Maria Magdalena were sponsors for the baptism of John Conrad, son of Martin Huber and Anna Elizabeth, born 15 Jul 1767, baptized 22 Jul 1767, and died 26 Jul 1767. 10
6. Residence: in 1768 in , Lebanon, PA. 1
7. Newspaper: The Pennsylvania Gazette, 13 Apr 1769, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 11 Philadelphia, April 4, 1769.
THE following Officers, who served in the Pennsylvania Regiment, in the Year 1764, viz. Captains Hunter, Kern, Green, Houssegger, Lems, Hendricks, Brady, W. Piper and Bucher; Lieutenants Stewart, Wiggens, Hays, Nice, Hunsicker, Askey and McAllister; Ensigns W. Piper, McMeen, Morrow, Stiene and Forster, are desired to meet at Mr. John Harris, in Paxton Township, Lancaster County, on the 15th Day of May next, in order that a Division may be made of the Land granted to them by the Honourable Proprietaries, and are requested to be punctual in their Attendance, that the Expences attending the Survey, and other Charges, in prosecuting the Application, may be discharged.
TURBUTT FRANCIS, Lieut. Col. J.P. DE HAAS, Major.
WILLIAM PLUNKETT, JAMES IRVINE, Capts. Commissioners.
8. Newspaper: An advertisement appeared in the Pennsylvania Gazette newspaper, 14 Oct 1769, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 12
FOUR DOLLARS Reward.
Lebanon - BROKE out and strayed, from a pasture near Jacob Wernplantation, in Cocalico township, Lancaster county, two horse creatures, viz. a likely dark bay horse, 4 years old, 16 hands high, shod all round, trots and paces, has no brand, but a mark on the off side, of a kick of a horse, and the hoof is split of the same leg, with a short tail. Also a black mare, about 10 or 11 years old, 14 hands high, a natural pacer, branded on the near buttock with P B, she was lately shod before, has saddle marks on both sides, and was lately hurt near the shoulder, where no hair is yet grown. Whoever brings them either to WILLIAM HENDEL at Tulpehocken, or CONRAD BUCHER at Lebanon, shall have the above reward, or Two Dollars for either of them.
9. Oath: He took the oath of allegiance to the State of Pennsylvania, 10 Jun 1778, Lebanon Twp., Lancaster, PA. 13
10. He appeared as a sponsor at a baptism on 22 Jun 1780 at Lebanon: Tabor First Reformed Church, Lebanon, PA. Conrad Bucher and wife Mar. Magd. are sponsors for the baptism of Johan Conrad son of Jacob Peter and Cathrina. 14 15
11. Court: on 4 Jul 1789 in , Dauphin, PA. 16 At an Orphans Court holding at Lebanon in and for the County of Dauphin the 4th day of July AD 1789 Before John Gloninger, Henry Sheffer and Thomas Clark Esquires Justices of the Same Court.
Elizabeth Bucher and Conrad Bucher minor children of the Reverend Conrad Bucher late of the Township of Lebanon Minister of the Gospel deceased, being above the age of fourteen years appear in Court and chose Jacob Bucher of Lebanon Township guardian over their estate during their respective minorities and the court approved and appoints the said Jacob Bucher their guardian accordingly.
12. Book: Annals of the Buffalo Valley, 1877. 17
1768, 5th November. Thomas and Richard Penn purchased from the Six Nations, at Fort Stanwix, (now Rome, New York,) the remainder of the Valley whose annals we are writing. As one of the incentives to this purchase, I may state that, as early as the year 1764, the officers of the first and second battalions who served under Colonel Bouquet, made an agreement with each other, in writing, at Bedford, "that they would apply to the Proprietaries for a tract of land sufficiently extensive and conveniently situated, whereon to erect a compact and defensible town; and, also, to accommodate each of us with a reasonable and commodious plantation; which land and lots of ground, if obtained, we do agree shall be proportionally divided, according to our several ranks and subscriptions," &c. Signed by Lieutenant Colonels Turbutt Francis and Asher Clayton, Major John P. deHaas, Captains Jacob Kern, John Procter, James Hendricks, John Brady, William Piper, Timothy Green, Samuel Hunter; Henry Watson, adjutant first battalion; Conrad Bucher, adjutant second battalion; William Plunket and James Irvine, captains; Lieutenant Daniel Hunsicker; Ensigns McMeen and Piper, et al. They appointed Colonel Francis, Captain Irvine, &c., commissioners to act for all the officers. These commissioners made an application to the Proprietaries on the 30th of April, 1765, in which they proposed to embody themselves in a compact settlement, on some good land, at some distance from the inhabited part of the Province, where, by their industry, they might procure a comfortable subsistence for themselves, and by their arms, union, and increase, become a powerful barrier to the Province.
They further represented that the land already purchased did not afford any situation convenient for their purpose; but the confluence of the two branches of the Susquehanna at Shamokin did, and they, therefore, prayed the Proprietaries to make the purchase, and make them a grant of forty thousand acres of arable land on the West Branch of the Susquehanna. Lieutenant Thomas Wiggins and Ensign J. Foster, who were absent from Bedford when the agreement was signed, were subsequently admitted into the association. The minutes of the association are published in full in the first volume of the Collections of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
1769. GOVERNOR, JOHN PENN. Representative of Berks, Edward Biddle; Sheriff, Jacob Shoemaker. Representatives of Cumberland, William Allen and John Montgomery; Sheriff, David Hoge; Prothonotary, Hermanus Alricks. On the 3d of February, the commissioners of the officers of the first and second battalions met at the Governor's, and obtained an order allowing them to take up twenty-four thousand acres, to be divided among them in distinct surveys, on the waters of the West Brand of the Susquehanna, each three hundred acres to be seated with a family within two years from the time of survey, paying £5 sterling per hundred, and one penny per acre, &c.
The names of the officers in whose favor the order of survey issued were Colonel Francis, Major deHaas, Captains Irvine, Plunket, Hunter, Kern, Green, Houssegger, Sems, Hendricks, Brady, Piper, Bucher, Lieutenants, Stewart, Wiggins, Hays, Nice, Hunsicker, Askey, McAllister, Ensigns Piper, McMeen, Morrow, Steine, and Foster and the order signed by John Lukens, surveyor general, and directed to William Scull and William Maclay.
By advertisement, dated the 23d of February, the land office was to open to receive applications for lands in the "New Purchase," on the 3d of April. "So long a day was fixed to give the back inhabitants time to repair to the office." Meanwhile surveys were made on special orders for the Proprietaries or their friends.
On the 18th of February, William Maclay made the first survey in person on the west side of the river. His field notes are yet preserved among the records of the deputy surveyor's office of Union county. He began at a black oak on the river, afterwards the south-east corner of the Richard Manning tract, and ran S. 60º W. 7º, W. 212, S. 45º W. 755, S. 49º E. 295, to the black oak or Spanish oak on the river, on the line of the purchase or Gabriel's land; thence up the river N. 36º E. 51, N. 45º E. 233 1/2, N. 39º E. 462, and N. 26 1/2º E. 220, to the place of beginning. He says this survey is of land above George Gabriel's, for which Andrew Allen has a warrant, and on which Charles Willing intends an old right of five hundred acres, "neither of which are in my hands yet."
The next day, Sunday, the 19th, he says he received from Colonel Francis the Charles Willing location. The caveat, Willing vs. Allen, was determined on the 21st of December, 1772, by the board of property. Present, Mr. Tilghman, Hockley, Physick, and Lukens. "That the location on the warrant of Charles Willing (which bore date the 24th December, 1768) is such an appropriation of five hundred acres and allowance, that it was not liable to the Proprietaries' warrant," and they directed the surveyor general to divide the land by a line N. 49º W. from the river, so as to leave five hundred acres of the lower end to be returned for Willing. This division line is about where the present road running west from Hettrick's store, in Monroe township, Snyder county, is laid. The distance of the river line of the John Cox survey, (which included Gabriel's settlement,) from the mouth of Penn's creek to the Indian line, was two hundred and ninety-two perches; of the Richard Willing, from the black oak or Spanish oak, marked by Gabriel and the Indians, to a white oak, which stood on the river bank near Hettrick's store, was two hundred and ninety-five and one half perches. The Andrew Allen reached thence six hundred and seventy-one perches, to a black oak which stood below the Sunbury ferry, nearly opposite the old tavern.
The Richard Manning survey (made in 1770) extended up one hundred and fifty perches to a maple, where began the John Galloway, which ran up three hundred and forty-eight perches, to the confluence of the West Branch. I will here add, as having interest upon the question of the location of Fort Augusta, that a topographical survey found among the same papers of this date, has a station on the mouth of the little stream that enters the river below the present bridge. The course to the main point is N. 27º E. and S. 53 1/2º E. to the " redoubt at Fort Augusta." The survey next above the "Galloway," is the Daniel Hoffman, (1814,) extending one hundred and eighteen perches; then comes the Joshua McAfee, (the John Mason place,) surveyed in 1771, extending up sixty-eight perches, and we are in Buffalo Valley.
22d February, the Reverend John Ewing's survey was made; the first in the Valley. It extends from the mouth of Buffalo creek, six hundred and seventy-five perches, to a walnut that formerly stood on Doctor Dougal's line. Mr. Maclay's starting point for this survey was sixty or seventy rods above the present site of the iron bridge across Buffalo creek. This survey contained eleven hundred and fifty acres. 24th February, Mr. Maclay surveyed the Bremmer tract for John Penn. He notes in his field-book the fine spring at late Andrew Wolfe's, the one on the Cameron farm, and the one at Ellis Brown's, and leaves out "the pine barrens," as he calls the present Linn place. This tract contained one thousand four hundred and thirty-four acres, and was called the " fiddler's tract," tradition said, because given a fiddler for one night's performance on the violin. Bremmer was a music dealer in the Strand, London, and was, perhaps, a fiddler by occupation. 28th February, the site of Lewisburg was surveyed for the Proprietaries, by Mr. Maclay, commencing at a white oak, at the present Strohecker's landing. At sixty-eight perches he notes the spring now belonging to the University grounds. This line he makes one mile long, to the mouth of Buffalo creek; he then ran up the creek to a hickory that stood where the present road reaches the creek at the iron bridge; thence he ran due south, two hundred and eight perches, to a pine, the stump of which was dug up when the railroad excavation was made north of the Eighth Street school building; it stood some eight feet inside of Jacob Derr's fence;) thence he ran S. 50º E., two hundred and ninety-eight perches, to the river. Several of the latter line trees stand near the cemetery. These lines now mark the limits of the borough, with the exception of the Jacob Spidler place, which was taken out of the borough many years ago by act of the Legislature.
In the latter part of February many of the officers of the first and second battalions met at Fort Augusta, and agreed to take the land upon the terms proposed by the Proprietaries, and that one of the tracts should he surveyed on the West Branch, adjoining Montour's place, (Chillisquaque creek,) and one in Buffalo Valley. In order to expedite business, it was agreed that Captains Plunket, Brady, Piper, and Lieutenant Askey, should go along with Mr. Maclay to Buffalo Valley, and Captains Hunter and Irvine with Mr. Scull, to direct the survey in the Forks.
On the 1st, 2d, and 3d of March, Samuel Maclay, for William, ran out the officers' survey. He commenced at a white oak on now William Spotts' land, at the east of the Limestone ridge, and ran west and south-west to the east line of what is now William Young's land, in Lewis township. The western line he ran N. 318 to Buffalo creek; thence he ran north of the present turnpike, until he crossed its site a little east of Vicksburg, and came back to a white oak, yet standing, one hundred and twenty-five rods east of where Salem church is now; thence he ran south to an elm on Turtle creek, and west and south-west to the place of beginning.
This survey embraced the heart of Buffalo Valley, and, as their minutes say, "was made without opposition;" and the officers returned to Fort Augusta, held a meeting, and determined that the third tract of eight thousand acres should be surveyed on Bald Eagle creek. Captains Hunter, Brady, and Piper were appointed to over-see that survey, to be made by Charles Lukens. The record says that Colonel Francis, Doctor Plunket, and Major deHaas, furnished the stores on the present occasion.
16th May, The officers met at Harris' Ferry. Messrs. Maclay, Scull, and Lukens laid before them the drafts of their respective surveys. Mr. Maclay reported the tract surveyed by him in Buffalo Valley contained eight thousand acres; Mr. Scull that in the Forks, six thousand and ninety-six, which left nine thousand nine hundred and four for Bald Eagle creek, and Mr. Lukens' survey was several thousand acres short of the quantity.
They agreed then that Colonel Francis should receive his share, two thousand seven hundred and seventy-five acres, surveyed to him in one tract, adjoining the tract purchased by him of Montour. Colonel Francis' tract accordingly extended from Chillisquaque creek down to and included Northumberland point.
Boyd and Wilson purchased of him, and erected the mill at the mouth of Chillisquaque creek, in 1791, and John Lowdon bought the site of Northumberland town from Colonel Francis, and it was patented to his wife, Sarah Lowdon, 7th July, 1770.
Same day, 16th of May, lots were drawn for the choice of lands. Captain Hendricks, having won the first choice, took the eastern end of Buffalo Valley survey, now the Zellers, Aurands, &C., farms. Captain William Plunket then chose the Dreisbach place, site of the church, &c. Captain Brady the Maclay place afterwards, now Joseph Green's, William Cameron, Esquire's, &c. Captain Kern next took the site of Vicksburg. Lieutenant Doctor Thomas Wiggins got three hundred and thirty-nine acres. Doctor Wiggins resided in Lower Paxton township, now Dauphin county. By his will, proved August 31, 1798, he devised to his brother, John Wiggins, his land in Northumberland county; and by the will of John Wiggins, second, proved November 30, he devises it to John and James Wiggins Simonton, each one hundred and ten acres. Honorable John W. Simonton many years associate judge of Union county, still owns this military fief.
Reverend Captain Conrad Bucher secured the tract now owned by the Pontius's; Captain Timothy Green the site of the Rockey mill; Lieutenant Askey the site of Mifflinburg; Captain Irvine the place so long owned by the Kleckners; Lieutenant Stewart the old Foster place; and Lieutenant McAllister the old John Hayes place. Captains Plunket and Brady superintended the running of the division lines, which was accomplished by Samuel Maclay, on the 25th, 26th, 27th, and 28th of May.
13. Book: Pennsylvania Genealogies, Mainly Scotch Irish And German by William Henry Egle, 1896. 4
JOHN CONRAD BUCHER. b. 10 Jun 10 1730 in Neukirch, Canton of Schaffhausen, Switzerland. Educated for the ministry of the German Reformed Church at the Universities of Marburg and St. Gall.
Arrived in the Province of Pennsylvania 1 Nov 1755. The French and Indian war being in progress he entered the Provincial army, and was commissioned ensign April 1, 1758, and station at Fort Louther, Carlisle.
Served in Forbes' great expedition against Fort Duquesne in summer and autumn of 1758. April 19, 1760, he was promoted to a lieutenancy, and July 12, 1764, commissioned as adjutant, and promoted to a captaincy on the 31st of the same month. His several commissions on parchment are in custody of his descendants in Harrisburg, Pa.
He served in Bouquet's expeditions against the Indians in 1763 and 1764; they fought the battle of Bushy Run, August 5, 1763, the greatest battle on record between the whites and Indians (Pennsylvania Archives Second Series, Vol. 2).
As remuneration to the offices for their services, the Proprietaries appropriated twenty-hour thousand acres of land to be distributed among them according to rank, of which Captain Bucher drew six hundred and sixteen acres in Buffalo valley, now Union County, and five hundred and forty acres on the north side of Bald Eagle, including mouth of Marsh creek, in Centre county. This is known as the Officer's survey.
Peace with the Indians having been secured, he resigned his commission in 1765, and thenceforward devoted his time and labors to the ministry, serving with zeal and sel-abnegation the churches at Falling Spring (Chambersburg), Shippensburg, Carlisle, Hummelstown, etc. until the year 1768, when he accepted the call to the German Reformed Church at Lebanon, then Lancaster county, whither he removed his family in 1769.
Here he remained, officiating stately and serving the several congregations in, then, Lancaster and Cumberland counties, until his death, actually dying "in harness," August 15, 1780, and was buried in the graveyard of the church of which he was pastor. An ancient-looking sandstone, inscription in German, in which language he usually preached, marks the spot.
He took the oath of allegiance to the State of Pennsylvania June 10, 1778. The Rev. Bucher m. February 26, 1760, at Carlisle, by the Rev. George Duffield, Maria Magdalena Hoch, daughter of George Hoch, one of the very earliest citizens of York, Pa., (and of his wife who was of the Lefevre family -- French Hugenots;) b. February 2, 1742; d. at Alexandria, Pa., March 11, 1819.
They had issue:
JOHN-JACOB b. 1 Jan 1764; m. Susannah Margaret Hortter
JOHN-GEORGE, b. 4 Oct 1766 at Carlisle PA; d. Mar 1843 at Lebanon PA; m. Hannah-----; d. s.p.
ANNA-DOROTHEA b. 1 July 1769 in Lebanon; d. 3 Sept 1770
ELEANORA-DOROTHEA b. 23 Apr 1772 in Lebanon; d. 18 Oct 1772
MARIA-ELIZABETH b. 8 Apr 1773 in Lebanon; d. Apr 1791
JOHN CONRAD 18 June 1775, m. Hannah Mytinger
14. Book: The Pennsylvania German, Jul 1903. 1
Source: THE PENNSYLVANIA GERMAN, Vol IV, LEBANON PA, July 1903, No. 3.,
FAMOUS PENNSYLVANIA GERMANS
REV JOHN CONRAD BUCHER
Scholar, Soldier and Pioneer Preacher
by REV. A. STAPLETON, A.M., M.S.
[small illustration on first page: Bucher Arms -- "Shield, Azure, and Centre Argent on which is a Beech tree -- eradicated, vert, on which hangs a hunter's horn-- stringed, or -- Crest, the tree and horn as on the shield."]
"From time immemorial the natives of Switzerland have been noted for their valor, love of freedom and nobility of character. Not even the mighty legions of Julius Caesar could conquer the brave inhabitants of her snow capped Alpine summits and lake-embosomed valleys. Her history abounds in episodes of startling and absorbing interest, and her territorial limits have ever been too circumscribed for her virile race, hence great numbers of her people have sought a wider field for their activities in foreign lands.
During the provincial period of our country the stream of immigration from Switzerland to America was very heavy, especially to Pennsylvania, and this Commonwealth can point to no better class of people within her bounds than the descendants of the Swiss immigrants. From this famous land and race came John Conrad Bucher -- the scholar, soldier and pioneer preacher.
PARENTAGE AND EARLY LIFE
John Conrad Bucher came from a distinguished patrician family, whose ancestral records run back in an unbroken line over four centuries. They were of the Reformed faith and prominent in church life from the days of the Reformation. As indicating the rank of the family it may be noted that Mary Elizabeth (1732-1812), a sister to John Conrad Bucher, became the wife of the Count John Conrad von Pyre. John Conrad Bucher was born July 13th, 1730, in Neukirk, near the city of Schaffhausen, on the Rhine. His father, John Jacob Bucher, was "land vogt" of the district of Schaffhausen. This office was of considerable importance. The father spared no pains or expense in the education of his son. The records show that John Conrad attended the Universities of Basil and St. Gall in his own country, besides visiting, as was then the custom, other great seats of learning, to round out his education. His "Gedenk Buch" (memento book) contained the autographs of Zollikoffer, the great theologian, and Mosheim, the renowned church historian, and others; men who were leaders in the literary world of that day.
Besides a knowledge of the classical, he also possessed a thorough knowledge of Hebraec and European languages. Among his theological books are Dutch, French, English and German, all of which bear marks of studious usage. His sermon notes abound in Greek-Latin and Hebrew references which indicates a practical knowledge of these languages in a degree rarely possessed by literary men.
[small oval illustration on page 292: Countess Von Pyre, nee Mary Elizabeth Bucher, sister of Rev J. Conrad Bucher, born in Switzerland, May 16, 1732, married first to Dr. Ott and secondly to Junker J. Conrad Pyre.]
HIS COMING TO PENNSYLVANIA AND MILITARY CAREER.
The general supposition is that John Conrad Bucher, like many other young men of quality, took service in the army of the Dutch Republic, and then entered the British Army under a commission at the breaking out of the war between France and England in 1755. It is well known that England at this period sought the services of competent foreign officers to command her troops sent to operate against the French in America. It has been held that Bucher came as an officer in the Braddock Expedition which arrived in the spring of 1755, and that he was present at the crushing defeat of Braddock at Ft. Duquesne, July 9, 1755. Against this supposition stands the fact that Bucher's arrival is given as November 1st, 1755, at which time the army had been withdrawn from Western Pennsylvania, and was preparing to operate in distant quarters. It should also be noted that he brought with him a large number of theological books -- family heirlooms -- genealogical records etc., all of which indicates his arrival in a civilian instead of a military capacity. Among the relics mentioned is a massive gold signet ring. The Bucher coat of arms is cut intaglio in a fine square ruby, flanked with diamonds. This ring bears the date 1541, and has been in the family since that time.
[footnote: Vide Penna Arch. Second Series, Vol 11, p. 559.]
The first definite knowledge we have of our subject in a military capacity is his participation in the expedition of General Forbes for the reduction of the French at Fort Duquesne in 1758. In that expedition the British forces were supplemented by a Pennsylvania contingent of 2,800 men, mostly commanded by German, Dutch and Swiss officers.
The intelligent reader need hardly be told that this Expedition in which the youthful Colonel Washington, who was fated to become "the father of his country," again distinguished himself, was of the greatest importance to the Province, as one of its immediate results was the founding of Pittsburg on the site of the captured Fort Duquesne, and the opening up of the Upper Ohio region for settlement.
After the successful termination of the expedition in the autumn of 1758, the Provincial forces were disbanded with the exception of 150 men who were stationed in small detachments in the frontier forts. Bucher remained in this service and was stationed at Ft. Louther, at Carlisle, Penna. In 1759 he was in charge of small detachments on the frontier, spending most of his time at Ft. Louther. In the winter of 1759 and 1760 he was in charge of the garrison at Carlisle, and acted also as recruiting officer. On February 26, 1760 he was married at Carlisle, as will be presently more fully noted. On April 19th he was commissioned lieutenant, and placed in command of the defenses of the valley, as is shown in the following order:
"Carlisle, 12th June 1760
"Sir-- I am commanded by General Monkton* [*footnote: Commander of the British forces] to acquaint you that you are to remain at Carlisle-- with the command of -- rank and file to guard the king's stores stationed at that place. The General has therefore seen fit to order that you are not on any account to absent yourself from Carlisle or suffer any of your command to do it. You will carefully preserve an exact discipline and give all the assistance in your power to Mr. Adam Hoops, agent to the provision contractors in loading and unloading and forwarding the stores and provisions to the army. The General has also directed me to acquaint you that he has ordered the commanding officer at Shippensburg to report to you, and he is to follow all such orders and directions as you may from time to time have occasion to send him, copy thereof you are, with your own reports, to transmit to the General.
"I am, sir, your most obedient humble servant
"Horatio Gates, M.B.
"To Lieut. Boughart, of the 1st Bat. The Penna. Regt."
The war between the mother country and France was still in progress and the times were full of peril. Indian forays were frequent, and Bucher's command was frequently called out to repel the savage invaders. In the autumn of this year he received the following order from General Gates, the commanding officer:
"Carlisle, 3rd November, 1760
"Sir-- It is General Monkton's orders that you march forthwith to join Captain Nelson on Sideling Hill with all the men of your command here that are fit for duty. When you have performed all the services required of you by Captain Nelson you are to return to Carlisle.
"I am, sir, your obedient, humble servant,
"Horatio Gates, M.B.
"To Lieut. Bougert, commanding detachment of the Pennsylvania, Carlisle."
After this service he returned to the post at Carlisle for the winter. The following spring, under orders of General Monkton, dated June 12th 1761, Lieutenant Bucher was placed in charge of the transportation service at Ft. Pitt, a position that required great energy and alertness in view of the great danger from the wily savages.
In 1762 we have nothing definite in regard to the movements of Lieut. Bucher, other than may be gathered from the general operations of the Provincial troops on the Pennsylvania frontiers as found in the Archives of the State. A sudden change, however, occurred to break the monotony and routine of garrison duty. Although the Treaty of Paris in February, 1763, had closed hostilities between the mother country and France, nevertheless the greatest peril that ever confronted Pennsylvania, with the exception of the Confederate Invasion, during the civil War, was suddenly thrust upon our frontiers by the uprising of the Indian tribes of the Northwest.
This movement in the spring of 1763, known in history as "Pontiac's Conspiracy," was a concerted action of the Northwestern tribes to make a simultaneous attack on all the frontier forts from Fort Bedford at the base of the Alleghenies to Detroit in the Lake region, with the purpose of driving the encroaching white race into the sea. The great conspiracy was well planned, and eight of the eleven garrisoned posts quickly succumbed. A great number of soldiers and civilians were cruelly butchered by the savages, and over 2,000 families, or practically all the inhabitants north of the Blue Mountains, fled for their lives. The Pennsylvania Archives state that on July 25, there were 1,384 refugees in the little village of Shippensburg alone. Details of this great struggle are not material in this connection, except as they may be related to the subject of this biography. As soon as possible the British Government dispatched all the regular troops available to Carlisle, where a formidable expedition was fitted out for the relief of Fort Legonier and Fort Pitt, then closely besieged by the red men. The command of this perilous expedition was entrusted to Col. Bouquet, who, like Lieutenant Bucher, was a Swiss in the British service. With this expedition was attached a part of the royal American Regiment, composed of brave Pennsylvania frontiersmen, to whose lot it fell to do the hard work of flanking and pioneering. In this command was John Conrad Bucher, as Lieutenant in Captain James Piper's company. The expedition proceeded undisturbed on its way to the relief of Fort Pitt, until they reached Bushy Run, in now Westmoreland County. Here on August 5th, the advance guard was suddenly set upon by the Indians in force, who had left their investment of Fort Pitt and had purposed to ambush the expedition. The main force of Bouquet was hurried forward and one of the most terrific battles ever fought between the white and red races ensued. When darkness closed the conflict at night it showed the army in dire straits, with every prospect of being utterly annihilated on the following day. May we not suppose that Lieutenant Bucher, who as we shall presently show, was already then a minister, spent this night of woe and despair in giving spiritual comfort to the dying, and, like Paul at Melita, cheering his fellow men with the promises of Divine assistance? Of his timely ministrations in the dire extremity we have no doubt.
The battle of Bushy Run was won by the whites and the army saved from destruction by a brilliant ruse, into which the Indians, who were led by some of the shrewdest chiefs their race has ever produced, should have been the last to fall. On the second day of the battle the whites purposely attenuated their line of battle at a point where the Indians were most strongly massed. Bouquet had rightly divined what the foe would consequently think and do. Without dreaming of its purpose, and supposing that the thin line meant weakness and was easy of penetration, the red men rushed against this point of least resistance, never dreaming of the fleet-footed 77th Highlanders and royal Americans, who had been partly concealed, and who, quickly enfilading them, crushed them as between the upper and nether millstone. The brilliant victory that followed broke the power of the red men-- the beleaguered forts were relieved, and Pontiac's conspiracy foiled.
Contemporaneous with this movement, a force of Indians had collected on the Great Island in the Susquehanna river below the present city of Lock Haven. A company of Lancaster County Rangers had a severe encounter with a part of this Indian force, in the Muncy Hills, in which both sides sustained a considerable loss.
To clear the entire region of hostiles an expedition under Captain Armstrong, fitted out at Fort Shirely in Huntington county, consisting of about 300 Provincials. In this expedition was Lieutenant Bucher, who acted in the capacity of adjutant to the command. Armstrong hoped to surprise the Indians, but the wily savers were alert, and as the whites approached, they abandoned their encampment, leaving behind a considerable amount of supplies.
A part of the Provincial force remained on the Island until late in November. In that month a sale was held of the captured stores, Lieutenant Bucher acting as clerk. The purchasers were mostly officers from the Cumberland Valley.
BOUQUET's GREAT EXPEDITION
Although the Indians were defeated, they were not wholly subdued. Convoys to the frontier forts were still attacked, and Indian bands penetrated the settlements, leaving death and destruction in their trail. On July 26, 1764, Enoch Brown, a school master and all his pupils, with one exception, were massacred and the school house burned, a few miles north of Green Castle, in now Franklin county.
To send an overpowering force right into the Indian country and destroy their villages and plantations was an undertaking of last resort, and all the resources of the province were taxed to fit out the expedition.
This great movement was again entrusted to the efficient leadership of Colonel Bouquet, and the place of rendezvous was again Carlisle. A great quantity of stores and ammunition was gathered here for the maintenance of the army. To this command was attached the Second Battalion of the Pennsylvania regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Asher Clayton commanding. On July 12, 1764, Lieutenant Bucher was promoted to the rank of Adjutant in which capacity he had previously served, as we have already noted. This promotion was quickly followed by another, namely, on July 31 when he was given a captain's commission. Captain Bucher acted as adjutant for his regiment in this expedition, and some of his neatly-kept and hitherto unpublished returns are still in the possession of his descendants. As showing the great importance of this expedition it is worthy of note that the Government bent every energy to equip it. Governor John Penn, grandson of the founder of the Province, came personally to Carlisle to direct its organization. After many vexatious delays the army was ready on August 9th, 1764, to enter upon the most daring and formidable expedition ever sent against the red race. After an encouraging address by Governor Penn, the army took up its line of march over the old Forbes road, by way of Forts Bedford and Pitt, right into the heart of the Indian country on the Muskingum river in Ohio. The brilliant success of the expedition, in the subjugation of the red men and the recovery of over 400 white captives, with which the touching story of the little German girl Regina is inseparably connected, need not be related here.
Peace having dawned at last, Captain Bucher resigned from the army in the spring of 1765, after a continuous service of about seven years.
By the terms of their service in the last campaign, which is the "Bouquet Expedition" of history, the officers of the Provincial contingent were entitled to bounty lands. At a meeting held on the 8th of September, at Ft. Bedford, on their return march, they decided to select their lands in close proximity. A command was appointed to negotiate the matter with the Government. In 1768 and 1769, on the west branch of the Susquehanna river, 24,000 acres were surveyed for them in Buffalo valley, in now Union and Bald Eagle Valley, in now Clinton and Centre county, and on the Chillisquaqua creek above Sunbury. The tracts were given by drawing lots, Captain Bucher obtaining a fine body of land in Buffalo Valley, which he exchanged for a property in Lebanon, which remained in the possession of his descendants until 1844. After a most eventful military service of seven years, in which period he participated in three great campaigns, frought with peril, and all the excitement incidental to contact with hostile savages, it would seem Captain Bucher, now a regular minister, still inclined to the public service. There is extant a letter written to him, dated at army headquarters, in New York, April 27, 1769, by an officer named John Small, in which the writer acknowledges the receipt of a letter from Bucher, written at Carlisle "about a twelvemonth ago," in which the latter's application for a chaplaincy or some other government service, is clearly implied. The writer was an intimate friend and states that he had worked unremittingly in Bucher's interests, but hither to without avail, and advised him to communicate directly with General Sir Frederick Haldemand, who was also a Swiss in the British service, and at that time in command of the South, with headquarters in Florida.
When the War of the Revolution broke out, it found Captain Bucher in ill health, as the result of his severe service in the frontier wars. His military ardor, however, was undaunted and the fire of his Swiss patriotism unquenched, and he was ready to enter the struggle for American freedom.
In the previous wars, as we have seen, he served in a purely military capacity, but in the new conflict he chose a relation more in harmony with his holy calling. He accepted the chaplaincy in the "Germany Regiment," so called because composed of soldiers from the German counties of Pennsylvania.
We have no data relating to his services in the opening stages of the war, but that he was in active service in 1776, there can be no doubt. In the spring of 1777, it is probable that his feeble health did not permit him to follow the fortunes of war, and he sought and obtained a leave of absence. Among his papers is an autograph letter in the German language, from that stern old disciplinarian, the Baron von Arnt, at that time in command of the regiment, of which the following is a translation:
"Quibbleton, May 4th 1777
"Highly Honored Sir Chaplain-- At my entry into the Regiment it came to my knowledge that you were attached to it as Chaplain, but are now at home on leave, but as I cannot have anybody belonging to the Regiment absent without the greatest necessity, I herewith give you the order to return to it without further delay, otherwise your resignation will be required, and some one else take your place, so I do hope to have the pleasure of seeing you with us soon.
"I am respectfully,
"Baron Von Arnt
Col. of the German Regiment.
The records of the German Regiment are very imperfect, and we do not know whether Chaplain Bucher obeyed the summons or not. In the event of his return, he saw plenty of hot work, in the campaign in which the regiment participates soon after this summons.
HIS MINISTERIAL CAREER
It has been already observed that John Conrad Bucher came to America with a very thorough intellectual equipment, undoubtedly with a purpose to pursue the sacred calling of the ministry. By what authority he was invested with the ministerial office we have not as yet determined, but of its regularity we cannot doubt.
He first began to exercise ministerial functions in the spring of 1763, in Carlisle, while in command of a detachment of Provincials there. His marriage record begins in March, and his baptismal record in April of this year. Some of his sermon notes are also dated at Carlisle in the beginning of this year. His baptismal and matrimonial entries in 1763 and 1764 are broken by great gaps caused by the military campaigns with which he was connected. He, however, exercised occasionally while in active service at such widely separated points as Fort Leigonier, Bedford, Redstone, Fort Pitt and the Susquehanna. His marriage record for 1765 included 44 pairs, and a much larger number in 1766, showing him to have been popular in this line of service. After his resignation from the army in 1765 he became the pastor of the Reformed Society at Carlisle and Falling Springs, or Chambersburg, in the Cumberland Valley, and Middletown and Hummelstown, east of the Susquehanna. This is shown by his records, which bear entries of baptismal services, etc., under these respective captions. In 1766, he was regularly ordained by the order of the Synod, to the full functions of the ministry, which, as we have seen, he had already exercised for three years.
In 1768 he removed to Lebanon, not, as had been supposed, to take exclusive charge of the Reformed Society there, but rather to reside on his own properties, which, as we have noted, he acquired in exchange for his bounty lands. His field of labor became much enlarged. We will give an extract from his record as found in his diary, beginning with January, 1768: January 1,3,4,5, Carlisle; 8th, Quittapahilla; 9th and 10th, Lebanon; 11th, Heidelberg; 12th, Weiseichenland; 17th, Carlisle; 24th, Falling Springs (now Chambersburg); 29th, Quittapahilla; 31st, Carlisle. February 1st, Heidelberg; 2d, Weiseichenland; 3d, Rapho; 7th, Hummelstown and Middletown; 8th, Blassers; 9th, Maytown; 14th, Carlisle; 21st, Falling Spring; 26th, Jonestown and Klopp's; 27th, Camberlin's; 28th, Lebanon and Quittapahilla; 29th, Schaefferstown.
This itinerary, which continues with but slight variations, and occasional detours, constituted his regular field of labor, extending into Lancaster, Lebanon, Berks, Dauphin, Cumberland and Franklin counties. His extra trips, made doubtless, at the urgent solicitations of weak and destitute societies, often involved a travel of hundreds of miles through unbroken forests and over lofty mountains. We here give a few examples from his diary. April 13, 1768, we find him at Dr. Schuebley's, in Franklin county, and the next day at Hagerstown, Maryland. And a few weeks later, May 3d, he preached at Quiggle's, and on the 5th on the Codorus; both places were in York county. The following September he preached at Reading, in Berks county. In October he made the following tour: October 2, Carlisle; 4th, Falling Spring; 5th, Dr. Schuebley; 6th, Hagerstown; 7th, Peter Shang's; 8th, Sharpsburg near the Potomac; 9th, Frederick; the last four appointments being in Maryland. He then returned to his regular field. A few weeks later, May 6th, he was in Bedford, and on the 13th and 20th, at Ft. Redstone. He was undoubtedly the first trans-Allegheny minister to preach in the German language. His diary of 1771 shows that he had relinquished the congregations and seldom crossed the Susquehanna, but preached regularly at the following places: Lebanon, Quittapahilla, Maytown, Manheim, Rapho, Weiseichenland, Hummelstown, Blasser's, Jonestown, Lancaster and Hemphill.
In giving and estimate of the character of John Conrad Bucher, we are led to say unhesitatingly that he was one of the most learned and zealous of all the ministers of colonial times. He preached in the English, French, and German languages. He never wrote out his sermons in full, but made beautiful and well arranged sermon briefs or notes, mostly in the German language. That he took pains in their preparation is shown by the frequent Greek, Latin and Hebrew references found in them. Several hundred of these briefs are still preserved in a silk-lined receptacle, in the fabric of which is woven the name "J.C. Bucher," and the date 1767.
This noble, patriotic and zealous divine was suddenly cut down by the hand of death in the midst of his best years. On August 15,1780, he went to Annville to perform a nuptial ceremony, and amidst the festivities of the occasion suddenly expired from heart disease. His age was 50 years, 2 months and 5 days. His ashes repose in the Reformed churchyard at Lebanon, Penna.
THE WIFE AND FAMILY OF JOHN CONRAD BUCHER
Inasmuch as there has been hitherto considerable uncertainty in regard to the parentage of the wife of John Conrad Bucher, we have, after considerable research, gathered the following facts. In 1733 John George Hoke and his wife, Barbara, with their family, arrived in Philadelphia from Germany. Among the minor children recorded in the Pennsylvania archives was John George, Jr.
The town of York in Pennsylvania was laid out by order of the Proprietors in 1741 and the first lots were sold in November of that year. Among the first purchaser of lots was Samuel Hoak, who purchased lot 105, and George Hoak, who purchased the adjoining lot, No. 107. These men we know to have been brothers, and the latter was the father of Mrs. Bucher. Prior to locating in York, George Hoak married in Lancaster county, Barbara Lefevre, who was either a daughter or granddaughter of Isaac Lefevre, who married Catharine, the eldest daughter of Madame Ferree. The Ferrees and Lefevres were French Huguenots, who fled from France at the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and located in the Palatinate. From thence they went in 1709 to England, being assisted by Queen Ann, and from thence to New York and two years later (1712) to Pennsylvania, locating on lands granted them by William Penn during their sojourn in England.* [* see memorials of the Hugenots by the author of this article.] George Hoak and wife, Barbara, were among the first members of the Reformed Church at York. Their eldest child seems to have been Mary Magdalena. They also had a son, Benjamin, who in Provincial days settled near Winchester, Va., and Peter, who was one of the first citizens of Uniontown, Fayette county, Penna.
Some time prior to 1759 George Hoak removed to Carlisle, Penna. There is extant a letter from a presumable suitor addressed to Molly Hoke, Carlisle, dated September 13, 1759, in which the writer pays his respects to her parents. On August 21, 1761, his son in law, Lieutenant Bucher, wrote to him from Fort Pitt, addressing his letter to George Hoke, Esq., Carlisle. Finally, the records of the county show that in 1762 George Hoke, of Carlisle, died, and his wife Barbara became his executrix. The identity of the family is thus incontrovertible established. The Hoke family attended the Presbyterian Church, under Dr. Duffield, and that distinguished minister likewise performed the ceremony at the marriage of Lieutenant Bucher and Mary Magdalena, or "Molly" Hoke, which occurred, as we have stated, on February 26, 1760* [*footnote: She was born February 2d, 1742, at York, Penna., and died at the home of her son at Alexandria, Pa., March 11th, 1819.] On November 4th, 1762, Dr. Duffield gave Mrs. Bucher an honorable dismissal from his congregation * [footnote: Rupp's, Berks Co. P. 458.] and inasmuch as Lieutenant Bucher soon thereafter assumed the functions of the ministry, we are inclined to the belief that the spring of 1763 marks the beginning of the Reformed Society at Carlisle under his care, while serving as an officer of the garrison. Their family consisted of four children, namely, John Jacob, who was born January 1st, 1764, and died October 16, 1827. John George was born October 4, 1766, and died April 8, 1843; Mary Elizabeth was born April 8th, 1773, and died in 1791, and John Conrad, who was born June 18, 1775, and died in 1852, besides two that died in infancy.
The sons were all men of considerable prominence. John George lived and died in Lebanon; John Jacob made his residence in Harrisburg, and was one of the first and foremost citizens of the place. He was coroner of Dauphin county in 1796, a justice in 1798, a member of the Legislature from 1803 to 1808, a Commissioner to erect the State Capitol in 1810. In the Legislature from 1814 to 1816, and Associate Judge from 1818 to his death in 1827. His son, John Conrad, born December 28, 1792, was in his day one of the leading citizens of the Commonwealth, a member of Congress, and an Associate Judge for many years. The many letters still preserved by his descendants from many leading men of the nation, among them several Presidents of the United States, indicates his high standing in public affairs. John Conrad, the youngest son of the immigrant, located in Alexandria, Huntington county, where he was a merchant. In 1812-1815 he was postmaster, in the Legislature in 1815-1818, and County Commissioner from 1825 to 1828.
A considerable number of descendants from maternal lines also became noted. Among the number we may specially mention the late Dr. Thomas Conrad Porter, D.D., LL.D., a grandson of John Conrad Bucher, Jr. Dr. Porter was born in 1822, and died in 1901. He was a scholar of rare ability and lofty attainments, and for many years occupied the chair of Biology and General Geology in Lafayette College.
Dr. Porter made extensive researches in various fields of study, especially in Botany, and many contributions of permanent value issued from his prolific pen. He was a linguist of note, an expert in Finnish and other obscure literature. He was an authority on Ecclesiastical history and enriched the literature of his Church with valuable contributions. Although bearing an Anglo-Saxon name, he nevertheless was proud of his German ancestry and at the time of his death was the President of the Pennsylvania-German Society.
Conclusively we may add that John Conrad Bucher was on terms of intimacy with the foremost men of his times. Among his papers, now unfortunately scattered, were many from his companions in arms, the famous Generals Bouquet and Stanwix. In ecclesiastical circles he was intimate with the noted Peter Miller, Prior of the Ephrata community, who was one of the most learned men of his times, and who, by direction of the Continental Congress, translated the Declaration of Independence into the German language. One of his bosom friends in the Forbes and Bouquet expeditions was Major, afterwards General, John Philip de Haas, of Lebanon, Pennsylvania. General de Haas was a member of his congregation at Lebanon and sponsor at the baptism of most of his children.
The descendants of Rev. John Conrad Bucher, now so widely scattered over the Union. have just reason to feel proud of their illustrious ancestor, and the Reformed Church in America will doubtless assign him a more honorable position in her history as his sterling qualities and valuable services to his adopted country and the Church are better known and appreciated.
[We append the following beautiful tribute from the pen of Prof. J.H. Dubbs, D.D., of Lancaster, Pa., first published in Philadelphia Press among "Poems Worth Reading," and kindly furnished us by Mrs. E.B. Hummel, of Harrisburg, Pa. -- Editor.]
We have read full oft of the heroes grand
Who live in the annals of Switzerland;
Of the courage high and the warlike deed
Of Tell, and Melchthal, and Winkelried;
But in rhyme the story has ne'er been told
Of the little band of Switzers bold,
Who across the sea, to its Western shore,
The precious faith of their fathers bore.
Names uncouth in the English tongue--
Goetschius, Schlatter-- remain unsung;
But as brave were they as the men who fell
On the fields of Uri or Appenzell.
Have you read the story of one who came
Across the ocean in quest of fame,
>From the place where over the rocky wall,
At grand Schaffhausen, the waters fall?
Have you heard how he wielded his valiant sword,
But laid it aside to serve the Lord?
It was Conrad Bucher! Let me tell
How he served the king and his Maker well.
In the quiet cloisters of old St. Gall
John married Maria Magdalena Hoch, daughter of George Hoch and Barbara Lefevre, on 26 Feb 1760 in Carlisle, Cumberland, PA.1 2 (Maria Magdalena Hoch was born on 2 Feb 1742 in York, York, PA,1 2 3 18 19 20 died on 11 Mar 1819 in Alexandria, Huntingdon, PA 1 2 3 18 19 20 and was buried in Alexandria: Hartslog Cemetery, Huntingdon, PA 20.)
Reverend Duffield of the Presbyterian Church in Carlisle performed the marriage ceremony. 1