Another name for John was Jack Cook.4
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1910 in Prineville, Crook, OR, USA. 5 The 1910 census recorded Jack Cook, occupatoin odd jobs, 32, living with wife Blanch, 20; daughter Gladis, 3; and sons Jack A., 14 months, and Alvin, 3months. They were married for 4 years, being Jack's first marriage and the 2nd for Blanch. Jack and his parents were born in Virgnia. Blanch and her parents were born in Ohio. The children were born in Oregon, and strangely their father is listed as born in Ohio and mother in Kentucy.
2. Census in 1920 in Elkhorn Township, San Joaquin, CA, USA. 2 The 1920 census recorded John Cook, 41, born in Virginia, living with wife Nettie, 50, born in Wisconsin; stepdaughter Goldie Miller, 18, born in Alabama; and daughter Gladys Cook, 13, born in Oregon. John's parents were born in Scotland. Nettie's father was born in the United States and mother in Indiana. Goldie's father was born in Alabama and her mother in Wisconsin, indicating she is Nettie's daughter by birth. Glady's father was born in Virginia and mother in Kentucky, indicating her mother is not Nettie.
3. Census in 1930 in Eden Township, Alameda, CA, USA. 6 The 1930 census recorded John Cook, salesman in grocery, widowed, 51, living in the household of Lydia Gerard, sales lady in grocery, widowed, 41. John was born in Virginia and his parents in Scotland. Lydia was born in Indiana and her parents in Germany. The census was recorded on 3 Apr 1930.
4. Residence: on 30 Jun 1930 in Hayward, Alameda, CA. 1
5. Census in 1940 in Eden Township, Alameda, CA, USA. 7 The 1940 census recorded at West A. Street: John Cook, married, no occupation, 61, living alone. He was born in Virginia. John had only completed the 2nd grade of school.
6. Fact: On his WWII draft registration he lists his daughter, Gladys Seferd [Seifert] of as his nearest relative. She lived at 100 Clerina, Vallejo, Ca. And married Walter Albert Seifert.., 25 Apr 1942, Vallejo, Solano, CA, USA. 3
7. He was described as 5" 7", 215 lbs., blue eyes, brown hair, light complexion on 25 Apr 1942 in Hayward, Alameda, CA. 3
8. Residence: 2284 West A Street, Hayward, Ca. On 25 Apr 1942 in Hayward, Alameda, CA. 3
John married Blanch Griffin. (Blanch Griffin was born on 4 May 1888 in , , OH and died in 1959.)
John next married Ellen Parthenia Clemm, daughter of James A. Clemm and Elizabeth Ann Stallings, on 30 Jun 1930 in San Leandro, Alameda, CA.1 (Ellen Parthenia Clemm was born on 16 Apr 1879 in Colfax, Whitman, WA, USA 8 9 10 and died on 30 Jul 1972 in San Leandro, Alameda, CA 9 10.)
1 Ancestry.com, <i>California, Marriage Records from Select Counties, 1850-1941</i> (Original data: Marriage records, select counties and years. California State Archives, Sacramento, California.), Ellen Beecher, father James Clem, mother Elizabeth Stallings, married John Cook, father John Cook, mother Mary McKay, 30 Jun 1930 in San Leandro.
2 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MH4C-GC2 John Cook, Elkhorn, San Joaquin, California, United States; citing sheet 9B, family 216, NARA microfilm publication T625, FHL microfilm 1820143.
3 FamilySearch.org, <i>United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V48V-6KD John Cook, 1942.
4 Ancestry.com, <i>California, Marriage Records from Select Counties, 1850-1941</i> (Original data: Marriage records, select counties and years. California State Archives, Sacramento, California.), Marriage of Gladys Cook (father Jack Cook, mother Nettie Miller) and Orval Lavern Yound, 2 Mar 1928, in Alameda, California.
5 <i>1910 United States Census</i>, Year: 1910; Census Place: Princeville, Crook, Oregon; Roll: T624_1279; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 0056; FHL microfilm: 1375292.
6 <i>1930 United States Census</i>, Year: 1930; Census Place: Eden, Alameda, California; Roll: 109; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 0251; Image: 589.0; FHL microfilm: 2339844.
7 <i>1940 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K931-RB8 John Cook, Eden Judicial Township, Alameda, California, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 1-57, sheet 28B, family 695, NARA digital publication of T627, roll 185.
8 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, California, Shasta County, Anderson Township, Series: T623 Roll: 112 Page: 94.
9 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current (Ancestry.com Operations Inc), Ellen Parker, SSN 555-21-6219.
10 FamilySearch.org, California Death Index, 1940-1997 (Department of Public Health Services, Sacramento.), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VPHN-K97 Ellen P Parker, 30 Jul 1972; Department of Public Health Services, Sacramento.