|Rev. Jeremiah Jacobs
Noted events in his life were:
1. He has conflicting birth information of His death certificate has 1816 birth year but his tombstone is engraved 1817., 25 Dec 1816 and , York, PA. 2
2. Census in 1850 in York, York, PA. 6 The 1850 census recorded Jeremiah Jacobs, tanner, 36, living with wife Mary Ann, 32; daughter Lannah Augustus, 2; and son Charles C. 1. The next household is Catharine Jacobs, 51, living with Charles, plasterer, 23; and John, 5. [Note: John is Jeremiah's son according to his Michigan death certificate, suggesting that in 1850 he was living with his grandmother Catherine, unless she is Jeremiah's older sister.] Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
3. Census in 1860 in Woodland Township, Barry, MI, USA. 7 The 1860 census recorded Jeremiah Jacob, farmer, 43, living with wife Mary A., 41; John, 16; Ann L., 13; Charles C., 11; William W., 10; and Isiah I. V. C., 6. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. Jeremiah's farm was valued at $300 and personal estate $250. The post office was Woodland.
4. Newspaper: Detroit Advertiser and Tribune: "The Income Tax. Returns from 3d Congressional District. Washtenaw County - Second Division. Jacobs, Jeremiah, $572", 22 Aug 1865, Detroit, Wayne, MI. 8
5. Census in 1870 in Roxand Township, Eaton, MI, USA. 5 The 1870 census recorded Jeremiah Jacobs, baptist clergyman, 52, living with wife Mary, 52; and daughter Ann, teacher, 23. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. Jeremiah's real estate was valued at $600 and personal estate $400. The post office was Roxand Centre.
6. Newspaper: Detroit Advertiser and Tribune: "Religious. Church and Ministry. Mr. Jeremiah Jacobs was set apart to the work of the Gospel ministry at the Roxand and Sunfield Baptist churches, in Eaton county, June 22, by a Baptist council Rev. Job Moxom moderator.", 28 Jul 1870, Detroit, Wayne, MI. 9
7. Census in 1880 in Roxand Township, Eaton, MI, USA. 10 The 1880 census recorded Jeremiah Jacobs, farmer, 63, living with wife Mary A., 63, and son Charles C., farm laborer, 31. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
8. Newspaper: Shenandoah Evening Herald: Personal. Rev. J. Jacobs of Roxanna, Mich., is visiting his brother, William Jacobs, of town. [Note: Roxanna should be Roxand Township in Eaton County, Michigan.], 28 Oct 1895, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 2 4
9. Census in 1900 in Sunfield, Eaton, MI, USA. 11 The 1900 census recorded two Jacobs brothers in separate households on the same census page as their father. Charles C. Jacobs, day laborer, 50, born Jul 1849, single, was living next to the household of his father, Jeremiah Jacobs, 82, Dec 1817, widowed. They owned their homes. Listed a few households away is John A. Jacobs, music teacher, 55, Sep 1844, single, who was renting a home. All and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
10. Cause of Death: too much morphine, 20 Aug 1903, Sunfield, Eaton, MI, USA. 2
11. Issue: 6 children, 4 living at his time of death, 20 Aug 1903, Sunfield, Eaton, MI, USA. 2
12. Occupation: minister on 20 Aug 1903 in Sunfield, Eaton, MI, USA. 2
Jeremiah married Mary Ann Sinclair on 29 Jul 1843 in York: First Moravian Church, York, PA.1 (Mary Ann Sinclair was born in 1817 in , , PA,12 died in 1890 in Needmore, Eaton, MI, USA 12 and was buried in Needmore: Needmore Cemetery, Eaton, MI, USA 12.)
1 M. W. Lau, <i>Jacobs Families of York County, Pennsylvania and Surrounding Areas</i> (Notebook at York County History Center in surname file shelves, 929.2 J17), Page 176, Jeremiah Jacobs.
2 Ancestry.com, <i>Michigan, Death Records, 1867-1950</i> (Death Records. Michigan Department of Community Health, Division for Vital Records and Health Statistics, Lansing, Michigan.), Certificate 464. Jeremiah Jacobs. Father ? Jacobs. Mother unknown. Informant J. Augustus Jacobs.
3 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=41964768.
4 <i>The Evening Herald (Shenandoah, PA)</i>, 28 Oct 1895, page 4. Personal.
5 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MHHN-PBY Jeremiah Jacobs, Michigan, United States; citing p. 26, family 208.
6 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, Jeremiah Jacobs. Census Place: York North Ward, York, Pennsylvania; Roll: M432_839; Page: 43B; Image: 660.
7 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWDB-R1K Jeremiah Jacob, Woodland Township, Barry, Michigan.
8 <i>Detroit Advertiser and Tribune</i>, 22 Aug 1865, page 5. The Income Tax.
9 <i>Detroit Advertiser and Tribune</i>, 28 Jul 1870, page 3. Religious. Church and Ministry.
10 1880 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWS3-3GX Jeremiah Jacobs, Roxand, Eaton, Michigan, United States; citing enumeration district ED 62, sheet 59A.
11 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSM3-N2C Charles C Jacobs, Jeremiah Jacobs, John A. Jacobs, Sunfield township Sunfield village, Eaton, Michigan, United States; citing sheet 7B, family 160.
12 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=41964856.