|George Thomas Heywood
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1870 in Saint Clair, Schuylkill, PA. 3 The 1870 census recorded Richard Heywood, huckster, 37, living with wife Grace, 37; Cyrus R., slate picker, 16; Grace E., 13; George, 6; William, 4; and Thomas Henry, 1. The parents and Cyrus were born in England, Grace E. in Massachusetts, and the younger children in Pennsylvania.
2. Census in 1880 in Girardville, Schuylkill, PA. 4 The 1880 census recorded living on Williams Street: Richard Haywood, laborer at mines, 48, living with wife Grace, 39; George, laborer at mines, 17; William, laborer at mines, 15; Thomas, 12. Also in the home is Richard's brother Robert Haywood, laborer at mines, 32. Richard, Grace, Robert and their parents were born in England. The children were born in Pennsylvania.
3. Cause of Death: George died at Ashland State Hospital from shock following 1st degree burns of face and hands, crushed vertebrae from mine accident, explosion, blown down chute, 3 Feb 1924, Ashland, Schuylkill, PA. 2
4. Newspaper: Philadelphia Inquirer: Girardville Miner Terribly Burned, 3 Feb 1924, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 5 Special to The Inquirer. SHENANDOAH, Pa., Feb. 2. George Heywood. a contract miner and one of Girardville's well-known citizens, was terribly burned about the head, face and body at East Bear Ridge colliery today. His sight is endangered. The victim recently lost his wife and & son in death. His condition is serious.
5. Occupation: miner at East Bear Ridge Coal Co. On 3 Feb 1924 in Girardville, Schuylkill, PA. 2
1 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "FamilySearch," database, <i>FamilySearch</i> (http://new.familysearch.org : accessed 21 Feb 2018), entry for Richard Heywood, person ID KWJC-HV6.
2 Ancestry.com, <i>Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966</i> (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate 13781 George Haywood Sr., Father Richard Haywood, Mother Grace Anderton, widowed.
3 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Year: 1870; Census Place: St Clair South Ward, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania; Roll: M593_1450; Page: 703B; Image: 645; Family History Library Film: 552949.
4 1880 United States Census, https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWVW-ZFW Richard Haywood, Girardville, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district ED 181, sheet 179D.
5 <i>Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA)</i>, 3 Feb 1924, page 4.