|Honorable John Scott
Honorable John Scott 1
- Born: 14 Jul 1824, Alexandria, Huntingdon, PA 1
- Marriage (1): Anne Elizabeth Eyster on 8 May 1849 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA 1
- Died: 28 Nov 1896, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA at age 72 1
- Buried: Philadelphia: Woodlands Cemetery, Philadelphia, PA
Noted events in his life were:
1. Book: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. 2
SCOTT, John, (son of John Scott [1784-1850] ), a Senator from Pennsylvania; born in Alexandria, Huntingdon County, Pa., July 24, 1824; attended the common schools and Marshall College, Chambersburg, Pa.; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1846 and practiced in Huntingdon, Pa., 1846-1869; prosecuting attorney 1846-1849; member of the revenue commission in 1851; member, State house of representatives 1862; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate and served from March 4, 1869, to March 3, 1875; was not a candidate for reelection in 1875; chairman, Committee on Claims (Forty-third Congress); moved to Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1875; general counsel of the Pennsylvania Railroad 1875-1877 and general solicitor 1877-1895; died in Philadelphia, Pa., November 29, 1896; interment in Woodlands Cemetery.
2. Occupation: United States Senator from Pennsylvania.
3. He has conflicting birth information of 24 Jul 1824 and Alexandria: Alexandria Cemetery, Huntingdon, PA. 2
John married Anne Elizabeth Eyster on 8 May 1849 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA.1 (Anne Elizabeth Eyster was born on 8 Nov 1824 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA 1 and died on 26 Mar 1911 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 1.)
<i>Register of the General Society of the War of 1812</i> (Washington, D.C.: The Society, 1972, 710 pgs.), Page 566.
<i>Biographical Directory of the United States Congress</i> (1974-Present, Washington, D.C.