Michael Neuhard 1
- Born: 7 May 1742, Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA
- Christened: 19 Sep 1742, North Whitehall Twp.: Egypt Reformed Church, Lehigh, PA 1
- Marriage (1): Maria Barbara
- Died: 1814 at age 72 2
Another name for Michael was Michael Neuhart.3
Sponsors were Peter Traxel, George Jacob Kern, Maria Margaretha Neuhard, Catharine Elisabeth NEUHARD.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1790 in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA. 4 He appears in the 1790 Census as Nyhart, Michel having:
2 free white males of 16 years and upward including heads of families
2 free white males under 16 years
4 free white females, including heads of families
This listing could also be his son Michael, depending on who was recorded as the head of the household.
2. Book: Anniversary History of Lehigh County, Volume III, 1914. 5
Michael Newhard, eldest son of Michael, was born May 7, 1742, and died in 1814. He was a weaver and farmer and owned 200 acres in North Whitehall, and in the War of the Revolution served as a private. He was a deacon of the Egypt Reformed Congregation, where his father had been elder and deacon. He and his wife, Mary Barbara, had twelve children:
1. Michael Newhard, born in 1764, married Elizabeth, and had children: Magdalena, born July 16, 1792; Salome, born Jan. 19, 1794; John, born Aug. 26, 1796; Peter, born April 19, 1799; and Elizabeth, born Nov. 13, 1801.
2. John Peter Newhard, born Nov. 16, 1765.
3. Maria Magdalena, born Feb. 3, 1767, died Aug. 11, 1823, married John Steckel, and had four children: Salome, wife of Jacob Biery; Daniel, born 1789, died 1877, married (first) Salome Keck, (second) Elizabeth Frantz, and had twelve children; Peter, born 1792, died 1849, married (first) Elizabeth Hartman, (second) Esther Burkhalter; and Joseph, born 1802, died 1880, married Sarah Troxell.
4. Margaret Newhard, born Dec. 1, 1769, died April 9, 1846, married Adam Laubach.
5. Mary Barbara, born July 3, 1771.
6. Frederick Newhard, born Dec. 19, 1772, married, June 24, 1794, Elizabeth Newhard and had eight children: Catharine, born Feb. 1, 1795; Jonas, born Sept. 1, 1797; Michael, born Oct. 2, 1799, died Aug. l, 1865, married in 1825 Magdalena Buchman, born Dec. 2, 1806, died June 18, 1871, and had six children: Edwin, married Sarah Schnerr, whose daughter, Polly A., married O. P. Leh; John Hiram, born 1834, died 1900, Benjamin F., born 1837, Henry, born 1840, Aaron P., born 1844, married Christianna Bachman and had children: Harvey E., Robert A., John N., and Wm. E., and Eliza; Joseph; Mrs. Hettie Hoch; Mrs. Elizabeth Kreidler; Mollic, wife of Jonas Bachman; Mrs. Ross; and Charles. Charles Newhard, son of Frederick, was born Feb. 10, 1807, and died July 10, 1882. He was employed on the Lehigh Valley Railroad and lived at Hokendauqua. He married Eliza Koch, who was born May 26, 1805, and died Nov. 25, 1892. They had four children: Jacob, William, Charles, and Mary, wife of Dennis Fry. Charles Newhard, son of Charles, was born in 1846 and died in 1909. He was a railroader and manufacturer of cough syrup. He married Fianna Roth and had eight children: Emma, wife of John Miller; John H.; Maggie J., wife of Frank T. Merkle; Elizabeth; Francis C.; Harry D.; Benjamin 'S.; and Estella, wife of John Hawk, of Freemansburg.
Francis C. Newhard, son of Charles, Jr., farmer at Seiple's Station, was born at Slatington, Feb. 13, 1873. He was reared upon the farm of Francis J. Newhard, with whom he bad lived seventeen years. In 1897 he went to Allentown, where he drove a milk team and later for two years was a trolley car conductor. In 1907 he began farming at Seiple's Station, where he purchased the Alfred Seiple farm of 54 acres and in 1910 erected his present residence. He has a valuable herd of cattle and conducts a dairy farm. He and family are members of Salem Reformed Church, Allentown. Mr. Newhard married, Nov. 28, 1896, Sarah A., daughter of John and Catharine (Scheirer) Helfrich, and grand-daughter of George Helfrich. They have three children: Walter G., William F., and Albert H. 7. John Newhard, son of Michael, Jr., was born Sept. 29, 1774, and died May 28, 1848. He married, June 27, 1797, Sarah Koch, who was born Dec. 17, 1774, and died Dec. 29, 1851. They had nine children: Jonas, born May 21, 1798, died Dec. 15, 1855, married Catharine Miller and had children: Jacob; Thomas; David, of Lincoln, Neb.; and Ezra, of Lehighton, born 1833, died 1902, who had a son, George, and four daughters; Peter, born Jan. 20, 1800, died Aug. 21, 1801 ; Elizabeth, born March 17, 1802, married David Eberhard; Michael, born June 1, 1804, died Aug. 2, 1873, married Regina Lerch, and had ' six children; Joseph, born Nov. 20, 1806, died May 13, 1879; Maria, born March 23, 1809, died May 15, 1867, married Joseph Newhard, born 1805, died 1894; Abraham, born March 12, 1812, died Nov. 5, 1868, who had a son, David F., born July 29, 1842; Lydia, born Sept. 27, 1814, died Dec. 12, 1897, married Peter E. Strauss, and had a son, James; and Owen Newhard, born Jan. 20, 1818, died Dec. 14, 1890, who married Hannah Bear, born 1820, died 1895, and had children: Henry A., John, Alfred J., Silas, and Joseph. Henry A. Newhard, son of Owen, died at Siegersville, March 2, 1912, aged 66 years. He was a coal, grain and lumber merchant, and was a director of the Allentown Trust Company, and a member of Jordan Reformed Church. He married Catharine Bower, and had two sons: William B., and Elmer J.
William B. Newhard was born in 1876, near Siegersville, and was educated in the public schools and the Kutztown State Normal School. He is a member and deacon of Jordan Reformed Church, and a member of the K. G. E., and Jr. 0. U. A. M. He married, in 1898, Jennie, daughter of Clinton Guth, and has one child, Ida C.
ELMER J. NEWHARD was born near Siegersville, July 22, 1878. He attended the local schools and assisted his father in the coal and grain business. In 1897 he came to Allentown and entered the retail shoe business at 641 Hamilton, with his brother-in-law, as the firm of John J. Hauser & Company, and continued until December, 1912, when the business was discontinued. He was also one of the partners of the Roney & Berger Shoe Manufacturing Company, for eight years. Upon the death of his father he succeeded him as a director of the Allentown Trust Company. Mr. Newhard died Jan. 11, 1913 after an illness of only one week. He was a member of Bargpr Lodge, No. 333, F. & A. M; Alien R. A. Chapter, No. 203; Alleq Commandery, No. 20, K. T.; Rajah Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S.; Allentown Lodge, No. 130, B. P. 0. ,E.; Allentown Lodge, No. 1299. Loyal Order of Moose; Allentown Tent, No. 389, Knights of .the Maccabees; Jordan Council, No. 746, Jr. 0. U. A. M.; Red Men; Golden Eagles; and Allentown Post, T. P. A. He was a member of St. Michael's Lutheran church and active in church work. He married Ellen J., daughter of Samuel Ritter, and had one daughter, Alma. He was buried in Greenwood cemetery, with Knight Templar honors.
Michael Newhard, son of John, had six children: Maria Anne,. married David Swartz; Abraham; John, married Anna Kleppinger, had no children; Mary, married Charles Young; Magdalena, married John Kuhns; and Sarah, married Rev. Abraham Bartholomew, and had sons: Rev. Albert Bartholomew, of Manheim; and Rev. Calvin Bartholomew, of Pottsville. Abraham, son of Michael, was born Oct. 17, 1836, and married Mary Schall. He had eight children: Levi, of Fountain Green, III.; Senia, wife of Georg? Kleckner; David, of Egypt; Mary, wife of Adam Beers; Jane, wife of Michael Deibert; Francis, of Illinois; Nathan, married Rebecca Diefenderfer; and Ellen, wife of Frank Van Billiard. 8. Juliana, daughter of Michael, Jr., was born Sept. .23, 1776, and married, May 2, 1796, Henry Haas. 9. Peter Newhard, born Dec. 23, 1778, died Dec. 7, 1856, married Maria Remaley, and had eleven children. He lived in Washington Township. 10. Maria Salome, born March 11, 1781. 11. Daniel Newhard, born Dec. 17, 1788, had children: Charles; Eliza, married. Jacob Wickert; Mrs. Hettie Druckenmiller; Maria, married Stephen Schmidt; and Nathan. Nathan had children: Alfred, married Maria Berlin; Benjamin F., born 184.5, died 1899, a miller near Emaus, who married Lydia Annie, daughter of George and Esther Klotz, born Oct. 19, 1846, died July 7, 1914, and had children: lrwin, Robert, Edwin, Frederick, and Minnie, married Harry Jones; William, who married Rosa Koch; Joseph; Sallie A., wife of John Kuchrier; and Jane, born 1850, died 1901, married William F. DeLong. 12. Jonas Newhard, born March 12, 1793, married Catharine Saeger, born July 16, 1794, died Sept. 17, 1842. Their children were: Reuben, born Sept. 13, 1814; Levina, born Nov. 12, 1817, married Eli Steckel; Eliza, born Jan. 22, 1816, died June 21, 1853, married Peter Hecker, born Oct. 28, 1809, died Oct. 4, 1899, and had three 'children: Capt. Lewis P. Hecker, William F. Hecker, and Mrs. A. W. DeLong; and William Newhard, born Sept. 24, 1820, died Feb. 9, 1892, married Caroline .Knauss, died Feb. 3, 1909, and had children: Elwood L., and Winfield. Elwood L. Newhard married Martha Snyder and had children: Libbie, Winfred, Mabel, Fred, Ruth, and George.
Michael married Maria Barbara.