George Jacob Neuhard 2
- Born: 25 Jul 1752 3
- Marriage (1): Anna Maria Kohler on 18 May 1773 in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA 1
- Died: 18 Sep 1835 at age 83 3
Another name for George was Georg Jakob Neuhart.3
Noted events in his life were:
1. Religion: in North Whitehall Twp.: Egypt Reformed Church, Lehigh, PA From the church register notes:
52. George Jacob Newhard was a son of Michael Newhard, and was born July 25, 1752. He married Anna Maria Kohler, daughter of Jacob Kohler, May 18, 1773. He removed to Allentown, where he followed the trade of a cabinetmaker. He died Sept. 18, 1835.
2. Book: History of Lehigh County, Volume III, 1914. 4
George Jacob Newhard, youngest son of Michael, Sr. was born July 25, 1752, and died Sept. 18, 1835. He married, May 18, 1773, Anna Maria Kohler, daughter of Jacob Kohler.
She was born May 6, 1752, and died Feb. 6, 1823. They are buried in the old Allentown Cemetery. George Jacob Newhard removed from Whitehall Township to Allentown in 1773, where he lived at the northeast corner of Eighth and Hamilton Streets.
In the Revolution, he served as a private in the company of his brother-in-law, Capt. George Graff. He was a joiner by occupation, and made writing desks, clock cases and other articles of furniture.
He served six years in the Legislature while Lehigh was still a part of Northampton County and in 1814 was elected county commissioner.
He had seven children:
1. Mary Elizabeth, born Dec. 28, 1774.
2. Catharine, born Aug. 29, 1776.
3. Abraham, born Oct. 26, 1777, died Feb. 28, 1863, married April 5, 1798 Maria B. Reber, born June 9, 1776, died June 24, 1831, and second, Mrs. Mary M. Blumer, nee Scheirer, widow of Jacob Blumer, born Jan. 18, 1787, died Dec. 29, 1858. He had six children: James, born Jan. 23, 1800; Thomas, born April 18, 1802, died Jan. 31, 1868, who was an undertaker, and married Maria Musselman; Samuel, born Feb. 7, 1804, had a son, Dilworth H., of. Warren, Ohio; Maria Anne, born Oct. 15, 1805, died Oct. 8, 1875, married Adam Koons; Ephraim, born Jan. 8, 1813, died 1818; and William Henry, born Feb. 22, 1818.
4. Susanna, born Oct. 28, 1779, died Aug. 24, 1854, married (first) Adam Rieb, born 1769, died 1833, and (second.) John Rornig. Her daughter, Catharine, married Martin Schwenk.
5. Peter Newhard, born July 26, 1783.
6. Mary Barbara, born May 16, 1786, died March 6, 1862, married, May 17, 1812, Jacob Kuntz, a famous gunsmith of Philadelphia.
7. Jacob Newhard.
Peter Newhard, son of George Jacob, was born in Allentown, July 26, 1783, and died Feb. 19, 1860. As a young man he assisted his father and about 1812 opened the first hardware store in Allentown, on Hamilton Street, east of Eighth. He was coroner of the county in 1816 and 1817, and in October, 1817, was elected to the State Legislature, and re-elected in 1818 and 1819, 1824, 1825 and 1829, the term then being one year. In October, 1833, he was elected State Senator and re-elected in 1837. In October, 1838, he was elected to Congress representing Lehigh, Schuylkill and Berks counties, and received in Lehigh, 2,411 votes, as a Democrat, to 2,359 votes cast for Walter C. Livingston, and was re-elected in 1840. He was chairman of the town council in 1824 and 1837 and burgess in 1843. He was also a trustee of the Allentown Academy. He married, in 1810, Sarah Rornig, daughter of John Adam and Elizabeth Barbara (Newhard) Rornig. She was born May 24, 1791, and died Dec. 3, 1876. They had four children, two of whom died young: Owen, born Dec. 19, 1814, died March 19, 1836; and Sarah E., born July 16, 1826, died in 1832. The surviving children were Edmund R., and Amanda A., who married Walter C. Smith.
George married Anna Maria Kohler, daughter of Jacob Kohler Sr. and Maria Barbara Neuhard, on 18 May 1773 in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA.1 (Anna Maria Kohler was born on 6 May 1752 3 and died on 6 Feb 1823 3.)