|Mary Amanda Shaw
Noted events in her life were:
1. Diary:,. Mary Amanda Shaw Beecher's nephew, William Shaw, Jr. kept many letters and other info relating to his family. This includes several letters written by Isaac and Mary Amanda Beecher. In William's memory book he recalls: "I was at the wedding of my father's sister, Mary Shaw, to Isaac Beacher. Rev. William Shaw was the oldest, and Mary was the youngest of all. She was born in 1810, married 1832, died in 1849 at Lima, Indiana. I was about fifteen years old then."
2. Census in 1840 in Tuscawarus Twp., Stark County, OH. 10 In 1840 the household of Isaac Beeker [Beecher] had:
3. Letter: 22 Feb 1841, East Greenville, Stark, OH. An original letter written by Mary Amanda was placed for sale online on eBay in 2007. A description of the item for sale was also published at http://paper-trail.blogspot.com/2007/08/amanda-mary-becker-or-becher-and-her.html and the description follows:
4. Census in 1850 in Tuscawarus Twp., Stark County, OH. 11 Isaac Becker, tailor, 40, was living with wife Mary, 39; Alexr, 19; Ann, 15; Anthony, 12; James, 4; and Augustus, 1. Also in the home: Ann Shaw, 85 [mother-in-law]; and Rudy Harris, 23. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania except Ohio for James and Augustus.
5. Census in 1860 in Lima Twp., LaGrange, IN. 12 Isaac Beecher, day laborer, 54, was living with wife Amanda, 50; James, 14; Gustavius, 11; Margaret, 8. Isaac and Amanada were born in Pennsylvania, the children in Ohio. Isaac had no real estate value; his possessions were worth $163.
6. Census in 1870 in Lima Twp., LaGrange, IN. 4 A.R. Beecher, butcher, 32, was living with wife Margaret, 27; and Geo. C., 1. A. R. was born in Pennsylvania, the others in Indiana.
7. Census in 1880 in Lima Twp., LaGrange, IN. 13 Mary A. Beecher, 70, widow, was living alone in the 1880 census. She was born in Pennsylvania and her parents in Ireland.
8. Fact: Notes about family of Mary Shaw Beecher with her family photo, 24 Aug 1894, Lima Twp., LaGrange, IN. 1 "Great" Aunt Mary "Shaw" Beecher says August 24, 1894, "I was born in Stassburg, Lancaster Co., Pa., in the year 1810, April 25. My father's name Alex. Shaw who left Ireland in 1801 at the time of the rebellion against King Craft. He was the son of William Shaw who lived in County Down, Ireland, near Belfast, Ireland. My mother, Anna Renfrew, who lived County "Entram" adjacent to County "Down". My grandfather was of aristocratic stock. His father was a linen merchant and manufacturer and sold his goods at Belfast. My father died in 1809, October, at about 45 years of age with typhoid fever. In 1801 landed in New York City, thence to Philadelphia, Pa., thence to Lancaster County. He had 15 -- William, John, James, and Alex.
9. Obituary: on 21 Nov 1894 in Lima Twp., LaGrange, IN. Mary A. Shaw, daughter of Alexander and Anna Shaw, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., April 25, 1810, and was married to Isaac Beecher, May 5, 1826. She moved with her husband to Stark County, O., in 1839 and in Lima, Ind., in 1854. Her husband departed this life November 2, 1873, and she was called away in death November 20, 1894. There had been born to the above parents nine children, John W., Amand(a) M., Alexander W., Isaac N., Nellie., Anthony R. James H., Gustavus N., and Jennie M., of whom two sons and two daughters are living in California. A.W. Beecher, over 40 years a citizen of Lima, was by location the nearest friend of his mother during her long widowhood and was ever found faithful to his trust. The funeral service of Mrs. Beecher was conducted by her pastor in the Presbyterian Church in which she had been an acceptable member more than 40 years. A large audience of those whom she had long been associated were in attendance.
Mary married Isaac Beecher, son of Emanuel Becher and Elener Chesney, on 5 May 1826.1 (Isaac Beecher was born on 7 Aug 1806 in , Lancaster, PA 2 4, christened on 8 Nov 1806 in New Holland: Trinity Lutheran Church, Lancaster, PA and died in 1873 in Lima Twp., LaGrange, IN 3 5.)
1 <i>Statement from Mary Shaw Beecher</i> (Family story with photograph of Mary Amanda Shaw Beecher and son Alexander Washington Beecher, shared by Selcher1 on Ancestry.com), Photo inscribed "Aunt Mary Beecher, Lima, Indiana. Original photo by J. A. Wilson, New Albany, Ind."
2 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, Indiana, LaGrange County, Lima Village, Series: M653 Roll: 274 Page: 649.
3 Lingenfelter, Keith, <i>Keith Lingenfelter Genealogy and Research Collection</i> (Special Collections Department, Meriam Library, California State University, Chico. Online at: http://www.csuchico.edu/lbib/spc/lingenfelter/toc.htm), Page 6.
4 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Indiana, LaGrange County, Lima, Series: M593 Roll: 333 Page: 250.
5 <i>Memorial & Biographical History of Northern California</i> (The Lewis Publishing Co., 1891), Biography of George Champlin at http://www.calarchives4u.com/biographies/tehama/teh-cham.htm.
6 <i>History of Northeast Indiana</i> (Chicago & New York: Lewis Publishing Co., 1920), Page 418.
7 Ancestry.com, "Indiana, Death Certificates, 1899-2011," Certificate 13. Alexand W. Beecher. Father Isaac Beecher. Mother Mary Shaw. Informant Charles H. Beecher.
8 <i>LaGrange County, Indiana Health Department</i>.
9 <i>Records of Linda Meyers</i> (Linda Meyers, descendant of Gustavous Beecher), Email 15 Jul 2008.
10 <i>1840 United States Census</i>, Ohio, Stark County, Tuscarawas Township, Series: M704 Roll: 427 Page: 140.
11 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, Ohio, Stark County, Tuscarawas Township District 138, Roll: M432_731; Page: 172.
12 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, Indiana, LaGrange County, Lima Village, Series: M653 Roll: 274 Page: 649-650.
13 1880 United States Census, Indiana, LaGrange County, Lima, Series: T9 Roll: 290 Page: 324.