|John Gerhard Alburger
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1850 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 2 The 1850 census recorded in the Spring Garden Ward 1 of Philadelphia: John G. Alburger, occupation victualler, 40, living with wife Catharine, 40; Abraham H., victualler, 18; Philip H., 16; John, 14; Anna Louisa, 12; Catharine, 9; William Henry, 7; Mary Dorothy, 5; Charles Sheridan, 2; and George Tryon, 10 months. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. John's real estate was valued at $23,000, a very large amount for the times.
2. Census in 1860 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 7 The1860 census recorded John G. Alburger, victualler, 49, living with wife Catherine, 50; Philip H., butcher, 25; John, salesman, 23; May A., 19; Catherine, 19; William H., 17; May D., 14; George T., 11; and Edward T., 8. All were born in Pennsylvania. Also in the home were Lena Hoffdoffer, 21, born in Germany; Margaret Graham, 19, born in Scotland; and John Fiss, 20, born in Pennsylvania. John's real estate is valued at $35,000, a large amount for the times.
3. Residence: 5616 Callowhill St., Philadelphia, PA on 24 Mar 1863 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 8
4. Census in 1870 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 9 The 1870 census recorded John Allberger, retired victualler, 69, living with wife Catharine, 60; and three sons: William, victualler, 27; George, dry goods dealer, 24; and Edward, victualler, 18. Also in the home is John's daughter-in-law, Mary Allberger, widowed, 31, with her children: Jacob, 14; William, 14; John, 7; Abram, 7; and Kate, 3. Also living with them: Susan Vallan, 26, domestic servant, and William Scharg, victualler, 20. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. John's real estate was valued at $90,000, an unusally large amount for the times.
5. Residence: 1870 Philadephia City Directory: Mary, Edward T., and John G. living together in 1870 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 10 Alburger, Mary E., wid Abram H., h 705 Callowhill.
6. Residence: 1873 Philadelphia City Directory: Edward T., George T., John G., and William H. Alburger at 705 Callowhill in 1873 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 11 Alburger, Edward T., butcher, h 705 Callowhill
7. Residence: 405 Franklin St., Philadelphia, PA on 16 Aug 1879 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 6
8. Obituary: Philadelphia Inquirer: obituary of John G. Alburger on 18 Aug 1879 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 5 On Saturday morning, after a brief illness, John G. Alburger, a gentleman identified with many matters pertaining to the public interests, and well known from his prominence in the old Whig element, died in the seventieth year of his age. He was born in this city in 1810, and was the oldest son of Abram Alburger, of the old district of Spring Garden. In 1852 he was appointed colonel of militia by General Johnston. He was a member of the First German Reformed Church, Race street, below Fourth. His ancestry, but two generations removed, were of the sect known as "Palantinates," who were contemporaneous with the French Huguenots, who pursued and persecuted by Louis XIV, fled to this country for asylum, and became the founders of the German Reformed Church.
John married Catherine Halzell. (Catherine Halzell was born on 13 Oct 1809 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA,2 12 died on 28 Jun 1900 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 1 12 and was buried on 2 Jul 1900 in Philadelphia: Laurel Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia, PA 1.)
1 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Church and Town Records, 1669-2013, Historical Society of Pennsylvania; Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records; Reel: 1174 PA > Philadelphia > Laurel Hill Cemetery Alburger Index, Online image 11.
2 , https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4C2-TYV John G Alburger, Spring Garden, ward 1, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States; citing family 185.
3 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 36016. Edward I. Alburger. Father John Alburger. Mother Catherine Halzell.
4 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=87110607.
5 , 18 Aug 1879, obituary of John G. Alburger.
6 , 18 Aug 1879, death notice of John G. Alburger.
7 , Year: 1860; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 13, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: M653_1163; Page: 861; Image: 447; Family History Library Film: 805163.
8 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Church and Town Records, 1669-2013, Historical Society of Pennsylvania; Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records; Reel: 806. Moore Undertaker. 24 Mar 1863 burial of Mary D. Alburger father John G. Alburger.
9 , Year: 1870; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 13 District 37, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: M593_1397; Page: 293B; Image: 104; Family History Library Film: 552896.
10 Ancestry.com, U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, 1870 Philadelphia City Directory, online image 86.
11 Ancestry.com, U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, 1873 Philadelphia City Directory, printed pages 137-138, online images 78-79.
12 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=139926941.