FamilySearch ID: LDMX-X3T.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Alt. Name: Original surname Bücher with umlaut above u pronounced as Beecher which became the surname used by descendants, circa 1766,.
2. Tax List: William Beacher: 85 acres, 3 horses, 3 cows, valuation 27 pounds, tax 3 shillings 6 pence, 1786, Manchester Twp., York, PA. 12
3. Census in 1790 in Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 13 Henry Becher was recorded with this family:
4. He appeared as a sponsor at a baptism on 1793 at Littlestown: Christ Reformed Church, Adams, PA. William Buecher appeared alone as the sponsor for the baptism of David b. 9 Jan 1793, son of Abraham Spanseyler and Elizabeth. [Note: Researchers should expect that the original German name handwritten in the church book was Spanseiler or Sponseller. See 1806 newspaper below for suit vs. Beecher & Sponseller.]. 14
5. Tax List: Henry, Samuel, and William Beecher appear on 1793 enumeration list for Germany Township, York (now Adams) county, 1793, Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 15
6. Tax List: 1795, Germany Twp., York, PA. William was listed with land, a wagon maker. Also lists a William, Jr.
7. He appeared as a sponsor at a baptism on 10 Apr 1796 at Littlestown: St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Adams, PA. Willm. Bücher and An. Mar. Sellin, single, appeared on 10 Apr 1796 for the baptism of Whillhelm Küfer [Keefer] b.11 Mar 1796, son of Friedr. and An. Mar. [Note: Researchers should suspect that the mother Anna Maria could be the daughter or sister of William Bücher, or, the daughter of Anna Maria Sell (Sellin is old German for the female gender of the Sell surname.) There was a close association between these families; the Sells appeared many times as sponsors for baptisms of children by William's brothers.]. 16
8. Court: Jacob Winterode's will was probated around this time and William was a witness or surety. on 3 Mar 1797 in , York, PA. 2
9. Court: His father Henry's inventory is filed and sons John and William were listed as executors. on 5 Dec 1797 in , York, PA. 2
10. Tax List: Willm. Beecher appeared on 1798 tax list. "6. Beecher, Willm. 64 perches of land, assessed 35., 1798, Germany Twp., York, PA. 17
11. Newspaper: Legal notice published in the Pennsylvania Herald & York General Advertiser, 5 Sep 1798, York, York, PA. 18 To be sold by order of Orphan's Court of York Co., a certain frame Messuage and lot adj a lot of Benjamin Bluebaugh, known on plan of said Town by No. 96, late the estate of Abraham Sponseller, decd. Terms made known by Wm. Beecher, adm'r. By order of the Court, John Edie, Clerk.
12. Tax List: History of Adams County, 1799, Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 19 In the History of Adams County book appears the tax assessment list for Germany Township for 1799. Included on the list:
13. Census in 1800 in Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 8 Several related families appear on the same Census page in 1800 in Germany Township. (The Beechers were recorded as Beahers.)
14. He appeared as a sponsor at a baptism on 1801 at Littlestown: St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Adams, PA. William was the witness for the baptism of William Reck, b. 17 Dec. 1800, son of Christian Reck and Sophia [William's sister.] He was listed as single. 20
15. Newspaper: Adams Sentinel: Commonwealth vs. Beecher & Sponseller, 19 Feb 1806, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 21 Commissioner's Office, Adams County, Pennsylvania
16. Census in 1810 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 9 Wm. Bucher is listed with this household:
17. Occupation: grocer circa 1810 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 5 22 In the History of Western Maryland on page 1063: "Referring to the files of the Maryland Herald and Hagerstown Advertiser, we find the following were residents of Hagerstown during the years from 1805 to 1815, inclusive:
19. Census in 1820 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 25 In 1820 the William Beacker household had:
20. Residence: Elisabeth Beecher is listed as a member of the German Reformed congregation in 1829. in 1829 in Greencastle, Franklin, PA. 26
21. William Beecher has no probate records in Franklin County, PA or Washington County, MD in May 1835 in Greencastle, Franklin, PA.
22. Tombstone: Section 4H Plot 10 - Inscription: William Beecher, son of Harry and Caharine Becher [SIC], age 65 yrs, 6 mo, 11 days. [Likely tombstone was worn when read and Harry was Henry.], 1 May 1835, Greencastle, Franklin, PA. 6 27 William is buried in the same section as the family of John Peter Herr (1757-1845) who married the Beecher family.
23. Book: 1882. 5
William married Elisabeth M. Herr, daughter of John Peter Herr Sr. and Susannah Weiss, on 12 May 1810 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD.1 (Elisabeth M. Herr was born on 17 Dec 1793 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD 1 28 29 30, christened on 19 Jan 1794 in Hagerstown: Reformed Congregation, Washington, MD,29 30 died on 26 Dec 1874 in Pottstown, Montgomery, PA 31 32 and was buried in Pottstown: Edgewood Cemetery, Montgomery, PA 31.)
1 Dodd, Jordan, Liahona Research, comp, Maryland Marriages, 1667-1899. (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000-. Original data.).
2 (Frederick, MD).
3 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, International Genealogical Index (R) (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of December 17, 2005).
4 , https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=175328180.
5 Scharf, J. Thomas, History of Western Maryland; being a history of Frederick, Montgomery, Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties from the earliest period to the present day; including biographical sketches of their representative men (Regional Pub. Co., 1968. Reprint of the 1882 ed. 2 volumes (1560 p.)), Page 1063.
6 John F. W. Pflueger, Tombstone Inscriptions of Franklin County, Pennsylvania (Chambersburg, Pa., Petticoat Press, 1985. 24 vols.), Vol. 5, Greencastle Cemeteries: German Reformed Cemetery.
7 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, International Genealogical Index (R) (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of December 17, 2005), Batch #: C507751, Sheet #: 00, Source Call #: 0014145, Printout Call #: 1002748, Dates: 1807 - 1849.
8 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Germany Township, Series: M32 Roll: 35 Page: 515.
9 , Maryland, Washington County, Hagerstown, Series: M252 Roll: 16 Page: 236.
10 , 17 Oct 1849. Page 3, Column 3.
11 , Book A:376, Henry's will written 23 Feb. 1795, filed under Becher.
(Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Tax and Exoneration, 1768-1801 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
Tax & Exoneration Lists, 17621794. Series No. 4.61; Records of the Office of the Comptroller General, RG-4. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), PA > York > Manchester, Beacher, William.
13 , Pennsylvania, York County, Berwick/Cumberland Townships, Series: M637 Roll: 9 Page: 470.
14 John M. Robinson, The Sponseller Family (John M. Robinson, 6016 Sarvis Ave., Riverdale, Maryland . April 1970.), Page 3, #36, Abraham Sponseller.
15 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Septennial Census, 1779-1863 (Septennial Census Returns, 17791863. Box 1026, microfilm, 14 rolls. Records of the House of Representatives. Records of the General Assembly, Record Group 7. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, PA.), York, 1793, image 42 of 69, Henry Beecher, William Beecher, Samuel Beecher.
16 (Family Line Publications, Westminister, MD 21157. No year.), Page 180.
17 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S. Direct Tax Lists, 1798 (United States Direct Tax of 1798: Tax Lists for the State of Pennsylvania. M372, microfilm, 24 rolls. Records of the Internal Revenue Service, 1791-2006, Record Group 58. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.), York County, Germany Township, Sam. Beecher, online image 106.
18 (York, York County, Pennsylvania.), Sep. 5, 1798 Edition.
19 (Warren, Beers & Co; Chicago, IL; 1886), Pages 262-271.
20 St. John's Lutheran Church, Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
21 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, 19 Feb 1806, page 6.
22 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland.), May 14, 1811 edition.
23 (www.FamilySearch.org), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F4ZT-SWL Daniel Bucher, 29 Mar 1818, Zion Reformed Church, Hagerstown, MD. Father William Bucher, Elizabeth.
24 (www.FamilySearch.org), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F4ZR-PQ8 Susana Bucher, 2 Jan 1814, Zion Reformed Church, Hagerstown, MD. Father William Bucher, Elizabeth.
25 , Maryland, Washington County, Hagerstown, Series: M33 Roll: 46 Page: 110-111.
26 (Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania, United States), https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/249949 Zion German Reformed Church and East Conococheague Church Records, 1818-1864, Family HIstory Library Microfilm 382822.
27 , Email received 20 Aug 2018.
28 , Pennsylvania, Montgomery County, Pottstown Boro, Series: M432 Roll: 799 Page: 115.
29 , FHL US/CAN Film 14145 Item 1 Church records of Zion United Church of Christ, 1766-1807 [Hagerstown, Maryland].
30 (www.FamilySearch.org), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F4ZR-NQ8 Elisabetha Herr, 17 Dec 1793.
31 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147179919.
32 (Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio), Lookup at http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/hobits/ 28 Dec 1874, page 1 col. 7, Elizabeth Beecher, died December 26, age 82, only sister of Rev. W. Herr of Dayton, in Pottstown, Pennsylvania.