|Gomer Jenkins Evans
Noted events in his life were:
1. Bertha appeared in the household of Reese John Evans in a census in 1910 in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, PA. 8 8 The 1910 census recorded renting a home at 28 Spruce Street: Reese Evans, coal miner, 47, living with wife Gwen, 38; son Gomer, silk mil, 17; daughter Olwen, 12; and daughter Bessie, 10. The children were born in Pennsylvania and their parents in Wales. Reese and Gwen were married for 13 years, and she had birthed 5 children, 3 alive in 1910.
2. Occupation: machinist, Jones & Laughlin, Eliza Furnance, 2nd Ave., Wilkes Barre, PA on 5 Jun 1917 in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, PA. 9
3. He was described as medium height, medium build, blue eyes, brown hair on 5 Jun 1917 in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, PA. 9
4. Residence: 59 Marion St., Wilkes Barre, PA on 5 Jun 1917 in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, PA. 9
5. Military on 23 Jan 1918 at Sea: Killed in action. Enlisted 10 Dec 1917. Machinist's mate, 2nd class, U.S. Navy. Died U.S.S. Solace, 23 Jan 1918. Cerebro pinal fever.. Father: Reese J. Evans, 65 Seneca St., Pittsburgh, PA. 7
Gomer married Adeline Woomer, daughter of Isaiah S. Woomer and Angeline Caroline Beacher, on 18 Nov 1916 in Wellsburg, Brooke, WV.1 (Adeline Woomer was born on 25 Feb 1897 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA,1 10 11 12 13 14 died on 20 Dec 1957 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA 12 14 and was buried on 23 Dec 1957 in Pittsburgh: Allegheny Cemetery, Allegheny, PA 12 14.)
1 West Virginia Division of Culture and History (Vital Records search. http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/ .), Marriage of Gomer Jenkins Evans, age 24, born Wilkes-Barre, living in Pittsburgh, PA, to Adeline Woomer, 21, born Shenandoah, PA, living in Pittsburgh, PA.
2 Ancestry.com, U.S., Navy Casualites Books, 1776-1941, Gomer Jenkins Evans, d. 23 Jan 1918.
3 Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=177798584.
4 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, 1 Mar 1979.
5 United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K6KF-67X Gomer Evans, 1917-1918; citing Pittsburgh City no 1, Pennsylvania, United States, NARA microfilm publication M1509.
6 1920 United States Census, Year: 1920; Census Place: Wilkes-Barre Ward 14, Luzerne, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1597; Page: 21B; Enumeration District: 259; Image: 1155.
7 Ancestry.com, U.S., Navy Casualties Books, 1776-1941, Online image 260. Evans, Gomer Jenkins.
8 1910 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MG8K-7FQ Reese Evans, Wilkes Barre Ward 14, Luzerne, Pennsylvania.
9 United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6KF-67X Gomer Evans.
10 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KHFR-Z2C Isia Woomer in entry for Fred J Felbinger and Adeline Evans, 1924.
11 1910 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MGQ3-KCZ Adaline Woomer in household of Charles Blackburn, Chartiers, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 40, sheet 1A, family 6.
12 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=46542960.
13 1900 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M347-DLS Isaiah Worner, Shenandoah borough Ward 4, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet 6A, family 87, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1241484.
14 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 107694. Adeline Felbinger. Father Isaac Woomer. Mother Angeline Beacher.