Sophia Deborah Beeker 1
- Born: 10 Jan 1808, , Davidson, NC, USA 1
- Marriage (1): Levi Rhodes on 31 Jul 1835 in , Davidson, NC, USA 1 2
- Died: Hedrick Grove, Davidson, NC, USA
FamilySearch ID: 9N34-JH5.
Noted events in her life were:
1. Newspaper: Western Carolinian: United In Wedlock. In Davidson County, on Friday, July 31st, by Philip Hedrick, Esq., Mr. LEVI RHODES to Miss OPHIA BUCKER., 8 Aug 1835, Salisbury, Rowan, NC, USA. 3
2. Census in 1840 in , Davidson, NC, USA. 4 Free White Persons - Males - Under 5: 2
Free White Persons - Males - 20 thru 29: 1
Free White Persons - Females - Under 5: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 20 thru 29: 1
Persons Employed in Mining: 1
No. White Persons over 20 Who Cannot Read and Write: 1
Free White Persons - Under 20: 3
Free White Persons - 20 thru 49: 2
Total Free White Persons: 5
Total All Persons - Free White, Free Colored, Slaves: 5.
3. Probate on 4 Dec 1848 in , Davidson, NC, USA. 5 State of North Carolina
to the worshipful the Justices of the Court of Pleas and quarter sessions for said county Feb. Term 1849
We Philip Hendrick, Justice of the Peace of said county, and Georg Beck Sen., John Young and John Swing, freeholders in obedience to the annexed order proceeded on the 4th day of December 1848 to view the Estate of Levi Rhodes decd. and out of the crop, stock and provisions on hand we have laid off and allotted to Sophia Rhodes widow as follows: 10 bushels of wheat and the growing crop on hand, 35 bushels of corn on hand, 3 hogs on hand, all the flax on hand, 1 tub of ? and all the vegetables on hand, 1 pot & frying pan on hand, 1 axe on hand, 1 bed & stand on hand and all the poultry on hand, and there being not sufficient of the crop stock and provisions on hand to make a comfortable provision for the said widow and family for a year, we assess the deficiency to the sum of forty seven dollars to be paid to the said widow by the administrator of the said Levi Rhodes decd. And we have further laid off and allotted to the said Sophia Rhodes on bed and its necessary furniture and one wheel and pair of cards as her absolute property and put her is possession of the same.
Given under our hand and seal the 4th day of December 1848.
4. Census in 1850 in , Davidson, NC, USA. 6 The 1850 census recorded in the Southern Divison of Davidson County: Sophia Rhodes, 42, living with her children: Sarah, 14; Isaac, 13; John, 7; and Mary, 5. Everyone was born in North Carolina. Sophia's real estate was valued at $100. Her next door neighbors are Daniel Beck, 35, and Peter Tysinger, 65.
5. Census in 1860 in Southern Division, Davidson, NC, USA. 7 The 1860 census recorded Sophia Roads, 50, living with her children: Sarah, 23; Isaac, laborer, 22; John, 17; and Mary, 15. Everyone was born in North Carolina. The post office was Cotton Grove. Sophia's real estate was valued at $100 and personal estate $50. She could not read or write, but her children could.
6. Book: The Heritage of Davidson County 1982, 1982. 1
RHODES (ROADS, RHOADS) and SHAW - 939
by Elise Rhodes Honeycutt
Sources: family records
Charles Lindsay Rhodes, b. 27 Sept. 1862, d. 2 Jan. 1952, m. Margaret Cornelia Shaw, b. 15 Sept. 1871, d. 23 Nov 1965, dau. of John Shaw, the son of Robert Shaw and Neaty Henrick, dau. of Daniel and Peggy Younts Hedrick. The parents of Charles were Isiac, b. 14 Feb. 1837, d. 10 July 1893, and Hulda Stockinger Rhoads, b. 12 Mar. 1837, d. 27 Oct. 1911. The children were Henry, Eli, Charles, Matchias and Eliza Jane.
Issac Rhoads was the son of Levi Roads, b. 1815, and Sophia Depopha Beeker, b. 10 Jan. 1808. Levi, who was raised by Henry and Barbara Garner Beeker near Denton m. 31 July 1835 Sophia Beeker, the dau. of Henry and Barbara. Their children were Sally (12 Oct.), Issac (14 Feb. 1837), John (6 Jan. 1843), Mary (29 May 1845), and Frank. John and Frank were killed in the Civil War. Levi, his wife and children lived 1 mile southwest of Hedricks Grove.
Hulda Stockinger Rhodes, my great grand-mother was drowned when crossing a creek on a log.
Sophia married Levi Rhodes on 31 Jul 1835 in , Davidson, NC, USA.1 2 (Levi Rhodes was born in 1815 1 and died in 1848 in Hedrick Grove, Davidson, NC, USA 1 5.)