|Sherman T. Shigley
FamilySearch ID: L653-TNZ.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1880 in Prairie Township, White, Indiana, United States. 9 The 1880 census recorded William Shigley, farmer, 58, living with wife Anna, 47; George M., farm worker, 20; Sherman T., farm worker, 16; Alice, 13; Ada, 11; Guy, 6; and Bessie E. 3. William and his parents were born in Ohio. Anna and her parents were born in Sweden. The children were born in Indiana.
2. Census in 1900 in Battle Ground, Tippecanoe, IN. 10 The 1900 census recorded Shurman Shigley, grocery, 36, born Jul 1864, living with wife Laura L, 33, Aug 1867; May, 10, Jul 1890; and Russel, 8, Jul 1892. Laura was married for 10 years to Sherman and she had birthed 2 children, both alive in 1900. Everyone and their parents were born in Indiana except Sherman's father in Ohio and mother in Sweden.
3. Census in 1910 in Battle Ground, Tippecanoe, IN. 11 The 1910 census recorded owning a home at 500 North Salisbury Street in Battle Ground: Sherman Shigley, restaurant proprietor, 46, living with wife Laura, 42; May, 19; and Russell, 17. The census columns record Laura and Sherman were married at age 20 and she had birthed 2 children by 1910. They and their parents were born in Indiana.
4. Census in 1920 in Indianapolis, Marion, IN. 12 The 1920 census recorded renting at 939 E. Prospect Street: Sherman T. Shigley, foreman for transfer company, 55, living with wife Minnie M., 53; and stepdaughter Ester Smith, 18. Everyone and their parents were born in Indiana except Sherman's mother in Sweden, and Minnie's father in Pennsylvania.
5. Cause of Death: disentary, 5 Sep 1944, Indianapolis, Marion, IN. 4
6. Residence: 1206 English Ave., Indianpolis, IN on 5 Sep 1944 in Indianapolis, Marion, IN. 4
7. Obituary: Indianapolis Star: obituary of Sherman T. Shigley on 6 Sep 1944 in Indianapolis, Marion, IN. 7 SHIGLEY Sherman T., age 80 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Minnie H. Shigley, father of Russell Shigley and Mrs. May Black of Lafayette, Ind.; stepfather of Mrs. Esther Willis, George Newby, Herbert Newby and Mrs. Elmer Buck, brother of Mrs. Bessie Westermann of Hollywood, Cal.; Guy Shigley of Marell, Neb., passed away Tuesday a. m. Funeral Thursday, 3 p. m., at Shirley Bros.' Central Chapel, 948 N. Illinois st. Burial Floral Park. Friends may call at the chapel after 1 p. m. Wednesday. Lafayette papers copy.
Sherman married Laura Frances Beeker, daughter of Manford A. Beeker and Mary Magdalene Stoyker, on 13 Feb 1890 in Battle Ground, Tippecanoe, IN.1 The marriage ended in divorce. (Laura Frances Beeker was born on 7 Aug 1868 in Battle Ground, Tippecanoe, IN,13 14 died on 14 Jun 1954 in Lafayette, Tippecanoe, IN, United States 13 14 and was buried on 17 Jun 1954 in Battle Ground: Pretty Prairie Cemetery, Tippecanoe, IN, USA 13 14.)
Sherman next married Minnie Mae Allison, daughter of Washington Allison and Martha Medden, on 25 Aug 1917 in Newport, Campbell, KY.2 (Minnie Mae Allison was born on 23 Jun 1866 in Muncie, Delaware, IN,3 15 died on 10 Dec 1950 in Indianapolis, Marion, IN 3 15 and was buried on 12 Dec 1950 in Indianapolis: Floral Park Cemetery, Marion, Indiana, United States 3 15.)
1 FamilySearch.org, Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XFX4-KRY Sherman T. Shigley and Laura F. Beeker, 13 Feb 1890; citing reference item 4 p 84; FHL microfilm 872,060.
2 FamilySearch.org, Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FW17-9TX Sherman T. Shigley and Minnie M. Smith, 25 Aug 1917; citing Newport, Campbell, Kentucky, United States, Madison County Courthouse, Richmond; FHL microfilm 1,913,169.
3 , 12 Dec 1950, page 29. Obituary of Mrs. Minnie Shigley.
4 Ancestry.com, "Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2017," Certificate 27715. Sherman T. Shigley. Father Thos. G. Shigley. Mother Mary A. Johnson born in Sweden. Informant: Esther Willis, daughter.
5 "Journal and Courier (Lafayette, IN)," 10 Dec 1937, page 10, obituary of John L. Beeker.
6 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/183348615.
7 , 6 Sep 1944, page 16. Obituary of Sherman T. Shigley.
8 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/207463077.
9 1880 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MHSB-8DR William Shigley, Prairie, White, Indiana, United States; citing enumeration district ED 185, sheet 342D.
10 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M994-YY4 Shurman Shigley, Tippecanoe Township (west part) Battle Ground city, Tippecanoe, Indiana, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 111, sheet 1B, family 26.
11 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MK5Y-B9P Sherman Shigley, Wabash, Tippecanoe, Indiana, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 188, sheet 4B, family 86.
12 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MFWY-F8H Sherman T Shigley, Indianapolis Ward 13, Marion, Indiana, United States; citing ED 221, sheet 5A, line 11, family 107.
13 , https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7215274.
14 Ancestry.com, "Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2017," Certificate 19401. Laura Frances Shigley. Father Manford Beeker. Mother Magdalene Stroker.
15 Ancestry.com, "Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2017," Certificate 38545. Minnie M. Shigley. Father Washington Allison. Mother Martha Medden.