George Bucher Scott 1 2 3 4
- Born: 23 Oct 1855, , , PA 3
- Marriage (1): Bettie Winn on 14 Feb 1882 in Decatur, DeKalb, GA 1
- Marriage (2): Mary Louise
- Died: 6 Sep 1920, Decatur, DeKalb, GA at age 64 3
- Buried: Decatur: Decatur Cemetery, DeKalb, GA 3
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1860 in Tallahassee, Leon, FL. 5 George Scott, planter, 34, has real estate valued at $4,000 and possessions worth $4,000. Living with him is Rebecka, 25; son G. B., 5; Anna, 2; and Mary, 5 months when the census was recorded on 21 Jul 1860.
Everyone was born in Pennsylvania, except Annie and Mary who were born in Florida.
2. Census in 1870 in Tallahassee, Leon, FL. 6 George Scott, planter, 41, has real estate valued at $30,000 and possessions worth $8,000. Living with him is Rebecka, 32; son Bucher Scott, 14; Annie, 11; Mary, 9; and Nellie, 5.
Everyone was born in Pennsylvania, except Annie and Mary who were born in Florida. This means in 1859, George was in Florida when Annie was born, but in 1865, Nellie is born in Pennsylvania, perhaps because her mother returned home during or after the Civil War?
Also in the household is Charlotte Proctor, 33, no occupation listed, and her children, Ellen, 11, and Toney, 8. Since Charlotte is black, she is likely a servant.
3. Census in 1880 in Decatur, DeKalb, GA. 7 George W. Scott, merchant, 51, is living with wife Rebecca, 46; George B., merchant, 24; Anne, 21; Mary, 20; Nellie, 14; and Bessie, 5. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania, except Anne and Mary were born in Florida, and Bessie in Georgia. Also, George W's mother was born in Ireland.
4. Fact: He founded the neighborhood known as Winona Park, Abt 1900, Decatur, DeKalb, GA. 8 Winnona Park is a historic neighborhood of some 700 households located in the southeastern area of the City of Decatur, Georgia. Decatur was incorporated in 1823 as the county seat of the newly created DeKalb County -- two decades before the Georgia Railroad chose a site six miles to the west as the terminus of its new railroad. The "Terminus" settlement, later incorporated as Marthasville, eventually grew up to become the city of Atlanta.
Winnona Park itself had its beginnings in the early 1900s when George Bucher Scott (of the Scott family that founded nearby Agnes Scott College and Scottdale Mills) acquired land from Dr. James C. Avary to develop and build the neighborhood. Scott named the new development Winnona Park in honor of his wife's family, the Winns. An advertisement in a 1912 edition of the Decatur New Era newspaper promoted Winnona Park as "the Druid Hills of Decatur" and "Atlanta's most beautiful neighborhood."
One of the earliest structures in the developing Winnona Park area was the Decatur Athletic Club, built in 1915 and located on Avery Street near Winnona Drive. The club had a pool, tennis courts and a dance floor.
At about the same time the first homes and a recreational facility were being built, Joseph Hughey purchased a lot on East College Avenue at South Candler Street in 1913 for the area's first business district. He reportedly operated a drug store; the site was also the location of a streetcar waiting station and was adjacent to the Decatur train depot and Agnes Scott College.
Many of Winnona Park's streets bear the names of local families who were early settlers in the area.
Winnona Drive: Like the neighborhood, it was named for the Winn family who settled in the Decatur area in the first half of the 19th century. James J. Winn is described in Vivian Price's book, The History of DeKalb County, Georgia 1822-1900, as both a surgeon in the Confederate Army and an area clergyman. His children, besides Mrs. George Bucher Scott, whose husband developed Winnona Park, included longtime Decatur resident Mrs. Kate Winn Kirkpatrick and two minister sons, the Reverends Paul P. and Samuel K. Winn.
South Candler Street: The Candler family, for whom South Candler is named, is well known for its civic leaders, including U.S. Rep. Milton A. Candler Sr.; his son, Georgia Senator and Rep. Charles Murphey Candler; and his grandson, Decatur Mayor and DeKalb Commissioner Scott Candler. All lived in homes on South Candler.
Bucher Drive and Hilldale Drive (originally Hough Road): Charles Murphey Candler married Mary Hough Scott, daughter of George Washington Scott (founder of Agnes Scott College) and Rebecca Bucher Scott. Mary's sister, Nellie Scott, married Charles' brother, Milton Anthony Candler Jr., further linking the two prominent Decatur families. Mary and Nellie's brother, Bucher Scott, built a home, the Scott-Sams House at 312 South Candler, near the current Bucher Drive.
[Note: Hough Road is named after Hannah Hough who married Scott's ancestor, Judge George Hortter Bucher (born 1798).]
5. He was named as an heir in a will. Nov 1903 Decatur, DeKalb, GA. 4
Deceased: Scott, George W.
Heir: Agnes Scott Institute
Heir: Bidwell, Carrie B. (daughter of sister Susan)
Heir: Bucker, Annie C.
Heir: Bucker, Hannah C.
Heir: Candler, Mary K. (daughter)
Heir: Candler, Nellie B. (daughter)
Heir: Cassessls, Clara M.
Heir: Cooper, Annie India (daughter)
Heir: Harmon, Bessie N.
Heir: Phillips, Susan
Heir: Rebecca Scott Memorial Fund
Heir: Scott, Carrie I. (niece, daughter of brother Alfred)
Heir: Scott, George B. (son)
George married Bettie Winn on 14 Feb 1882 in Decatur, DeKalb, GA.1
George next married Mary Louise. (Mary Louise was born on 7 Sep 1856,3 died on 10 Nov 1927 in Decatur, DeKalb, GA 3 and was buried in Decatur: Decatur Cemetery, DeKalb, GA 3.)