Stephen Beecher Cook 2 3 4
- Born: 1 Mar 1797, , , PA 3
- Marriage (1): Lydia Beecher on 19 Mar 1822 in New Holland, Lancaster, PA 1
- Died: 10 Mar 1874, Cynthiana, Harrison, KY at age 77 2 5
- Buried: 12 Mar 1874, Cynthiana: Battle Grove Cemetery, Harrison, KY 2
Noted events in his life were:
1. He has conflicting birth information of 1 Mar 1798. 2
2. Name Changed: Stephen added the middle name Beecher after his marriage because there was another Stephen Cook where he lived., 1822, , Lancaster, PA. 2
3. Residence: in 1830 in , York, PA. 6 JAMES A. COOK, deceased, was a distiller in Cynthiana, born in York County, Pa., 1830; son of Stephen B. and Lydia Cook, who were the parents of four sons and five daughters. Our subject remained with his parents in Pennsylvania, and emigrated with them to Clark County, Va., in 1847, continuing with them several years on their farm, but in 1855 returned to Pennsylvania and located near Carlisle. In 1861 he came to Kentucky, and for a short time remained in Lexington, but finally located in Cynthiana, where he engaged in the distilling business; was also engaged in the manufacture of woolens, flour, etc.
4. Census in 1840 in South Middleton Twp., Cumberland, PA. 7 The 1840 census recorded Steven Cook's household:
Free White Persons - Males - Under 5: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 5 thru 9: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 15 thru 19: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 40 thru 49: 1
Free White Persons - Females - Under 5: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 5 thru 9: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 10 thru 14: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 30 thru 39: 1
Persons Employed in Agriculture: 2
5. Census in 1850 in , Clarke, VA. 8 The 1850 census recorded Stephen B. Cook, 53, living with wife Lydia, 45; Cyrus B., 27; James A., 19; William, 15; Ann E., 11; Lewis P., 9; Martha, 7; and Elizabeth, 4. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. They were living in the 12th District is Clarke county.
6. Census in 1860 in Carlisle, Cumberland, PA. 9 The 1860 census recorded Stephen B. Cook, 63, living with wife Lydia, 55; Ann, 22; Martha, 17; and Elizabeth, 15. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
7. Census in 1870 in Cynthiana, Harrison, KY. 10 The 1870 census recorded Stephen B. Cook, 73, retired merchant, living with wife Liddia, 65; and domestic servant Margaret Giveris, African American, 19, born in Kentucky. The Cooks were born in Pennsylvania.
8. Book: Kentucky Pioneer and Court Records. Bio of Lydia Beecher Cook., 1929. 11
Background: In 1929 Mrs. Harry Kennett McAdams published a book, "Kentucky Pioneer and Court Records," and included in it some family histories, in particular two on her own ancestors, John Beecher, and his wife's Albrecht family. One section is found under John, and the Albrecht section is printed under his wife Mary Ann Albrecht. Following is the section pertaining to her daughter Lydia who married a Cook and all of their descendants:
Lydia Beecher (16th child of John and Mary Ann Albert Beecher, daughter of George and Mary)-Born June 10, 1805, Reading, Pa.; died July 81, 1885, Cynthiana, Ky. Married Mch. 19, 1822, Stephen Beecher Cook, in New Holland, Lancaster County, Pa., by Rev. Peter Philbert. Stephen was born Mch. 1, 1798; died Mch. 10, 1874, Cynthiana, Ky. They celebrated their golden wedding in 1872. Both are buried at Battle Grove, Cynthiana, Ky. When Lydia died, aged 80, there were living five of her 12 children, 26 grand-children, and 24 great-grandchildren. Stephen took the name of "Beecher" for a middle name, because when he married there was another Stephen Cook in the same town. Stephen B. Cook was son of Stephen Cook and Miss ___ Ayers, of Staten Island (where Mrs. Stephen, Sr., is buried). Stephen Cook, Sr., came over from England in a military band, during the Revolution, when he found what the Americans were fighting for, he deserted the English and joined the Americans, "Washington's forces"; no record of his services have been found, so he may have fought under another name. His brother, Dr. Cook, visited him later and some of the family settled in Ohio. The wife of President Hayes was a descendant of this Cook family. Mrs. Stephen Ayers Cook (Sr.) was a daughter of Captain ____ Ayers, of the "India Tea Co.," and during the "Embargo" was not allowed to land his "tea" in Philadelphia, Pa., (see Abagail Adams' diary) from his ship, "Polly," Dec. 28, 1773. Several histories made mention of him. Miss Ayers was educated in a convent in Madrid, Spain and when her mother died, she came on her father's ship, and was married in America. They (Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Cook, Sr.) had 6 children, birth dates not known. Three daughters: Polly mar. ___ Turman (they had son, Edward, and 2 dau.); Margaret Cook married ____ Scott (he was a Mason, and was killed by a falling scaffold), they had 5 children, the oldest son was a potter in Lancaster Co., Pa.; Eliza Cook married ___ Disbell, and lived in Lancaster Co., Pa.; the three sons were James, Jacob and Stephen "Beecher" Cook, who married Miss Ayres. (Stephen Sr. married the second time and had a family.) Their children:
1. Cyrus Beecher Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1832, March the 81st, at Forge Springs, Pa.
2. Benjainine Franklin Cook was born In the year of our Lord, 1825, September the 29th.
3. William Edmond Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1827, May the 26th.
4. Mary Lucetta Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1829, May the 1st.
5. James Albert Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1830, September the 20th.
6. Casia Ann Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1832, September the 4th.
7. William Augustus Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1834, June 22nd.
8. Christeana Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1836, August 23rd.
9. Anna Eliza Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1838, June 19th, at Liverpool, Pa.
10. Lewis Paxton Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1840, October 18th.
11. Martha Matilda Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1843, February the 24th (Woodburn Farm, near Carlisle, Pa.).
12. Elizabeth Josephine Cook was born in the year of our Lord, 1845, June the 9th (Bricker Farm, near Newville, Pa.).
Martha M. (Cook), (Norris), Hedges-Born 1848; died July 3, 1901; buried at Cynthiana, Ky.
Elizabeth Josephine (Cook) Wolford-Born 1845; died Dec. 9th, 1912, in New York City; buried Cynthiana, Ky.
William Augustus Cook-Born June 22, 1834; died March 9th, 1912, buried Cynthiana, Ky.
Anna Eliza (Cook) Wilson died July 12th, 1926, Lexington, Ky.; buried at Cynthiana, Ky.
Benjamine Franklin Cook died in the year of our Lord, 1828, Oct. 21st.
William Edmond Cook died in the year of our Lord, 1828, Oct. 25.
Christeana Cook died in the year of our Lord, 1836, Dec. 19th.
Louis P. Cook died in the year of our Lord, 1865, March 25th; buried at Cynthiana, Ky.
James Albert Cook died A. D., 1878, June 22; buried at Cynthiana, Ky.
Stephen Cook died March 10th, 1874, aged 77 years; buried at Cynthiana, Ky.
Cyrus B. Cook died November 14th, 1880; buried at Cynthiana, Ky. Mary Lucetta Swonger died July 7th, 1879; buried in Tiffin, Ohio. Lydia B. Cook died July 81, 1885.
Casia Ann "Kate" Smith died March 3rd, 1894; buried at Cynthiana, Ky.
Mary Lucetta Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married Matthias Swonger in Carlisle, Pa. Children:
1. James Franklin Swonger-Born Nov. 13, 1847.
2. Louis Theodore Swonger-Born May 1, 1849; died Mch. 29, 1850.
3. Charles Augustus Swonger.
4. Mary Ellen Swonger-Born Feb. 17, 1853.
5. Annie Lydia Swonger-Born Feb. 16, 1855.
6. Frances Rebecca Swonger-Born Oct. 19, 1857.
7. Josephine Elizabeth Swonger-Born July 5, 1859.
8. Mattie Cook Swonger-Born Apr. 27, 1861.
9. Abbie Almena Swonger-Born Jan. 9, 1868.
10. Malinda Catherine Swonger-Born Oct. 22, 1865.
11. Florence Augustus Swonger-Born Aug. 28, 1869.
12. Etutra Blanche Swonger-Born Sept. 4, 1872; died Sept. 23, 1872.
Mary Lucetta Cook Swonger died July 7, 1879; buried Tiffin, Ohio. James Albert Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married Sarah Wolford (daughter of Peter Wolford of Minneapolis, Minn.) Apr. 18, 1859. Children: (1) Mary Cook-Born Jan. 25, 1860; married James Frazer, of Cynthiana, Ky. (2) Charles Wolford Bates Cook-Born Aug. 31, 1861; died Sept. 23, 1918. (3) James Albert Cook-Born Dec. 25, 1864; died Sept. 9, 1865.
Casia Ann Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married Cornelius Smith, of York, Pa.; children: (1) John Calvin Smith-Born Jan. 9, 1853. (2) Virginia Smith-Born Aug. 22, 1863; died Feb. 5, 1865, White Pigeon, Mich. (3) Georgiana Smith-Born Feb. 10, 1867; married Evans D. Veach, Cynthiana, Ky. (4) Burt Wilson Smith-Born Dec. 24, 1871; married Salle Shinbower, Lexington, Ky.
William Augustus Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married (1st) Annie Elizabeth Farrel; children (born Harrison Co. Ky.): (1) Albert Beecher Cook-Born Aug. 29, 1868; died Oct. 17, 1892. (2) William Cook-Born May 28, 1872; died Apr. 24, 1877. Second wife Fannie Day. They adopted an orphan girl, Audrey. Third wife, Georgia (widow).
Anna Eliza Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married William Henry Jenks Wilson Jan. 19, 1861, in Lexington, Ky. He was the son of Ranselear Jeremiah Jenks and Asenath Woodburn (of Moses Woodburn, Revolutionary soldier). W. H. Jenks ran away from home when a small boy and was adopted by Mr. Wilson, and was always known as Wilson instead of Jenks. He was a well known trotting horse owner, and built Abdallah Park, Cynthiana, Ky. Children: (1) Annie Laurie Wilson-Born Nov. 5, 1862; married R. B. James. (2) Stephen Henry Wilson-Born 1864; died July 26, 1865. (3) Martha Ednah Wilson-Born Feb. 25, 1866; married H. K. McAdams, Cynthiana, Ky. (D.A.R.. No. 238379). Later moved to Lexington, Ky.
Lewis Paxton Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married Priscilla Kirkpatrick. No children.
Martha Matilda Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married (1st) Thomas Norris, Lexington, Ky.; one child, Frank Wolford Norris, who married his first cousin, Mattie Cook Swonger (of Mathias Swonger), no children. M. M. Cook Norris married (2nd) James Thompson Hedges (as his 2nd.wife). No children.
Elizabeth Josephine Cook (of Stephen B. Cook and Lydia Beecher) married Jacob Albert Wolford, Nov. 14, 1867. Children: (1) Mary Lydia Wolford-Born Dec. 3, 1868; married James W. Megibben; two children. (2) Louis Carl Wolford-Born July 4, 1870; married Jessie Myers, of New York; six children. (3) Josephine Alberta Wolford-Born June 19, 1872; married Webb Stringfield. No children.
Children of James Albert Cook and Sarah Wolford Cook:
1. Mary Cook-Born Jan. 25, 1860; married James Fraser, of Cynthiana, Ky. Their children: (1) Charles Royal Fraser- Born Oct. 17, 1877; (2) Maymie Frazer-Born -; died June 12, 1880; (3) James Cook Frazer-Born -; died Jan. 26, 1884.
2. Charles Wolford Cook-Born Aug. 31, 1861; died Sept. 23, 1918; married (1st) Jeanette Orr, of Mayslick, Ky., who died ten weeks later. He married (2nd) Willie Conyers, of Covington, Newton Co., Ga. She was born Aug. 19, 1863; married Mch. 21, 188S. Their children: (1) son, born Feb. 4, and died Feb. 6, 1889; (2) Wolford Bates Cook-Born Jan. 1, 1890; (3) Charles Conyers Cook-Born July 16, 1892.
Children: John Calvin Smith (of Cornelius Smith and Casia A. Cook Smith)-Born Sept. 4, 1853; married (1st) Addle Bates, Mch. 1, 1872. She was born Mch. 20, 1853, died June 17, 1911. Their children: (1) Francis G. Smith-Born Jan. 26, 1874; (2) Mattie K-Born July 12, 1878 (3) LeGrand-Born Sept. 7, 1880; (4) John C.-Born Jul 11, 1883 died May 20, 1893 at Sheldahl, Iowa; (5) Nettie A. Smith-Born May 6, 1887; (6) Milo K-Born Feb. 5, 1889; (7) Luella-Born Feb., 1895; died July, 1906. John Calvin married (2nd) Mrs. Sadie (Redfearn) Potts, a widow with one son, Roy Potts.
Georgiana Smith (of Cornelius and Casia A. Cook Smith)-Born Feb. 10, 1867; married Evans D. Veach (Son of Sam Veach and Priscilla Evans) Jan. 16, 1888. They had one son, Lamme Givens Veach- Born Dec. 20, 1888; died Sept. 17, 1892.
Burt Wilson Smith (of Cornelius and Casia A. Cook Smith)-Born Dec. 24, 1871; married Sallie Shindlebower, daughter of William Morton Shindlebower and Mary Winifred Adams. Wm. Morton Shindlebower was son of P. J. Shindlebower and Mary Robinson. Mary Winifred Adams was daughter of John Adams and Mary Sampson of Richmond, Va. (of Wm. Sampson, of England).
Children of Matthias Swonger and Mary Lucetta Cook:
3. Charles Augustus Swonger married Miss Jennie Shaw of Scotland; their children: (1) Mamie; (2) Carrie; (3) Jimmy; (4) Alma; (5) Wymo.
4. Mary Ellen Swonger married (as his 2nd wife) Cornelius Augustus Mathews, on Sept. 24, 1876. (His 1st wife was Sarah Catherine Whitmore, their children: (1) Allmamanda; (2) C. D. Mathews; (3) Earnest F. Mathews). Children of second marriage, all born in Seneca Co., Ohio: (1) Grace Manna Mathews-Born Oct. 21, 1878. (2) Ralph N. Mathews-Born Aug. 13, 1880. (3) Mabel V. Mathews-Born Oct. 8, 1886.
5. Annie Lydia Swonger-Born Feb. 18, 1855; married William Ashley, of Homer, Mich, Feb. 28, 1878; children: (1) Addie- Born may 18, 1879; (2) Alta Mary-Born Oct. 24, 1880; (3) Frank J.-Born Oct. 10, 1886; (4) Frances Louise-Born Oct. 20, 1890.
6. Frances Rebecca Swonger-Born Oct. 19, 1858; married G. L. Hollenbecker, of Marywell, Sutter Co., Cal., on Feb. 8, 1887.
7. Josephine Elizabeth Swonger-Born July 5, 1859; married Jacob A. Hamm.
8. Mattie Cook Swonger-Born Apr. .27, 1861; married her cousin, Frank Wolford Norris, of Cynthiana, Ky., Sept. 2, 1886.
9. Abbie Almena Swonger-Born Jan. 9, 1863; married J. W. Paddock (died); married Rev. J. E. A. Peel, of Peoria, Ill., July 7, 1901. Married (3rd) Rev. C. P. H. Benton, of Peoria, III., Aug. 22, 1912.
Annie Laurie Wilson (daughter of William Henry (Jenks) Wilson and Annie Eliza Cook)-Born Nov. 5, 1862, at Louisville, Ky.; married Robert Bruce James on Jan. 19, 1889, in Oakland, Cal. R. B. James was born Nov. 8, 1858 (son of Oscar James and Ruth Calvert. Oscar James was son of Sam Thayne James and Annie K. Gillespie. Ruth Calvert was daughter of Robert Bruce Calvert and Olivia Arnold. Olivia Arnold was daughter of Thomas Arnold, of Connecticut, and Elizabeth Potter. Robert Bruce Calvert was son of Robert Calvert of East Virginia, and Ruth Shelby of Maryland). Robert Bruce James and Annie Laurie Wilson had one son, Oscar William James-Born Nov. 6, 1889, who married Esther Anderson, of Salem, Oregon. Their children: (1) Roberta Mary James-Born Dec. 29, 1920, at Pocatello, Idaho; (2) Oscar Richard James-Born Oct. 16, 1922 at Eugene, Oregon. Oscar Wilson James was Lieutenant, Headquarters Co. 362nd Inf., in World War.
Martha Ednah Wilson-Born Feb. 25, 1866, at Cynthiana, Ky., (daughter of Wm. Henry Jenks Wilson and Annie Eliza Cook; married Harry Kennett McAdams at Cynthiana, Ky., May 23, 1888. He was born Dec. 18, 1865, at Williamsburg, Ohio (See McAdams History). Children: (1) Gladys Wilson McAdams, artist; (2) William Henry McAdams who married (1st) Helen Lucile Heckert (daughter of Mrs. Wm. Delmar Heckert of Tiffin, Ohio), who died; married (2nd) Miss Jean Estelle Dubbs (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carbon P. Dubbs) on Dec. 28, 1926. Their children: 1-Barbara Jean McAdams-Born Dec. 8, 1927, in Boston, Mass; 2-Nancy Ann McAdams-Born Jan. 31, 1929, in Boston, Mass.
W. H. McAdams is a professor of Chemical Engineering in Massachusetts Institute of Technology since 1927; consulting chemical engineer for several organizations; is a member of American Chemical Society and American Society of Mechanical Engineers. In 1924 he was elected a member of Alpha Chi Sigma (honorary chemistry fraternity). In 1926 he was elected a foundation member of Alpha of Kentucky, Phi Beta Kappa (honorary fraternity for arts and sciences). He served 14 months in the World War, as first Lieutenant of Chemical Service; later as Captain in Chemical Warfare Service, and later as Assistant Chief of Development Division, C. W. S. He designed the "narrow type" Flutter valve, adopted for U. S. Army gas mask.
O. K. McAdams served in the World War from Sept,, 1917, to April, 1919. Enlisted in Barrow Unit No. 40; was Corporal, and was overseas for nine months. Is now a physician specializing in gynecology and obstetrics in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Annie Elizabeth McAdams married Walter Peter Clemmons (son of Robert and Alice Hifner Clemmons) Nov. 30, 1922. Their daughter, Jane McAdams Clemmons was born Nov. 14, 1928, in Lexington Kentucky.
Stephen married Lydia Beecher, daughter of John Beecher Sr. and Mary Ann Albrecht, on 19 Mar 1822 in New Holland, Lancaster, PA.1 (Lydia Beecher was born on 10 Jun 1805 in Reading, Berks, PA,1 2 died on 31 Jul 1885 in Cynthiana, Harrison, KY 1 2 5 and was buried on 1 Aug 1885 in Cynthiana: Battle Grove Cemetery, Harrison, KY 2.)
They were married by Rev. Peter Philbert when she was 16 years old. 1