|George Washington Beacher
FamilySearch ID: K4YM-4GJ.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1850 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 7 In 1850 living in the South Ward of Pottsville is Jacob Bieger. Obviously the census taker was confused by his German pronounciation of his surname! Jacob Bieger, tailer, age 36, is living with wife Angeline, 35; William, 12; Jacob, 11; Hiram, 8; Benjamin, 6; George, 3; and Nathan, 8 months old when the census was recorded on 29 Aug 1850. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
2. Census in 1860 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 8 In 1860 living in the New Castle Township is Jacob Bucher, day laborer, age 48, living with wife Angeline, 45; William, day laborer, 21; Jacob, day laborer, 19; Hiram, day laborer, 17; B. Franklin, day laborer, 15; George, 12; and Nathan, 9; and Ann M., 7. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Broad Mountain.
3. Census in 1870 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 2 The 1870 census lists Jacob Beacher, the first census to spell his name this way. He is a laborer, age 57, living with wife, Angeline, 55; 3 sons who are all laborers: William, 31; George, 22; Nathan, 21; and daughter Mary, 18. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Broad Mountain.
4. Census in 1870 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 9 Angelina Becker [sic], 55, is listed as the head of the household. Living with her: William, 31; Heiram [sic], 28; Benjamin, 26; George, 24; Nathan, 20; and Mary, 18. The men are all employed as miners. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Shenandosh.
5. Fact: Hiram and George Beacher were ordered to testify in a investigation of election fraud in a U.S. Congress race, 7 Mar 1877, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 10 The United States of America
6. Census in 1880 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 11 George W. Beacher, miner, 31, is alone with his wife Mary, 21. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. He was living at 59 Center St.
7. Residence: in 1881 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 12 Beacher, Benjamin F., miner, h. W. Centre n Main
8. Census in 1890 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 13 His record appears in the Third Ward. Listed in the household was Beacher, George W., 42, miner. 224 N. Jardin St. Mary M., Sarah C.
9. Census in 1900 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 1 George Beacher, coal mine laborer, 52, born Oct 1847, was married for 25 years to wife Mary M., 42, Dec 1858. She had given birth to no children by 1900. Living with them was mother-in-law Sarah Brosius, 78, Feb 1822, widow, who had birthed one child by 1900. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. The census was recorded on June 6, 1900. George was a miner but only employed for 4 months in the past year.
10. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Daily News: "The family and household goods of Geo. Beecher were moved here from Shenandoah today. The home will be at 24 north Hickory street. Mr. Beecher has secured employment at the Reliance colliery.", 3 May 1905, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 14
11. Census in 1910 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 15 The 1910 census recorded George Beacher, coal mine laborer, 62, living with wife Mary, 46. They were married for 35 years and had birthed no children. Living with them were three boarders, men who worked at the coal mine.
12. Newspaper: Republican and Herald: B. F. Beacher, Sr., spent Saturday at Pottsville, visiting his brother, George, who is a patient at the hospital there., 31 Jan 1910, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 16
13. Cause of Death: cerebral apoplexy, acute Bright's disease, 5 May 1917, New Castle, Schuylkill County, PA. 6
14. Occupation: coal miner on 5 May 1917 in New Castle, Schuylkill County, PA. 6
15. Obituary: Republican and Herald: obituary of George Beacher on 8 May 1917 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 17
16. Newspaper: Pottsville Republican: Funeral of George Beacher, 9 May 1917, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 18 The funeral of George Beacher, Broad Mountain, who died on Sunday last, was held this morning from his late home at that place. Services were conducted at the house by the Rev. E. F. Faust, of the Reformed church, following which the cortege proceeded by auto to Shenandoah, where interment was made. The services were largely attended. Messrs. Peter McCloskey, James Mahoney, Jos. mediar, Abe Mills, Benjamin Eisenhuth and Joseph Eisenhuth acted as bearers. Undertaker Morgans had charge.
George married Mary M. Brosius, daughter of Daniel Brosious and Sarah C. Goho, about 1875.1 (Mary M. Brosius was born in Dec 1858 in Butler Township, Schuylkill, PA,1 19 died on 2 Aug 1920 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA 19 20 21 and was buried on 5 Aug 1920 in Shenandoah Heights: Odd Fellows Cemetery, Schuylkill, PA 19 21.)
1 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah, Ward 3, Series: T623 Roll: 1484 Page: 195.
2 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Series: M593 Roll: 1450 Page: 627.
3 (http://www.Ancestry.com. Original from Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records.), Image 36.
4 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/191999086.
5 , 19 may 1920, page 6."Dad" Beacher Celebrated 75th Birthday.
6 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate Number: 57500. George Beecher [sic].
7 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Pottsville South Ward, Series: M432 Roll: 827 Page: 388.
8 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1178 Page: 349.
9 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah, Series M593, Roll 1450, Page 597.
10 U. S. Government Printing Office, Congressional Series of United States Public Documents (Washington, D.C. 1877), Page 1182. http://books.google.com/books?id=FFNHAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22wm.%20jacobs%22%20%22schuylkill%20county%22%20shenandoah&pg=PA1182#v=onepage&q=beacher&f=false.
11 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255192; National Archives Film T9-1192; Page 34B.
12 W. Harry Boyd, Boyd's Directory of Pottsville, Shenandoah, Ashland and Tamaqua (Pottsville, Penna.), 1881, page 331.
14 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 3 May 1905, page 4.
15 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Roll 1417 Book 1, Page 213a.
16 (www.republicanherald.com), 31 Jan 1910, page 4.
17 (www.republicanherald.com), 8 May 1917, page 3. Obituary of George Beacher.
18 , 9 May 1917, page 8. Funeral of George Beacher.
19 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/191999164.
20 , 1 Jan 1921 Edition, 1920 Death Listings: http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/pa+index+12592316665071+F.
21 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate Number: 87984. Mrs. Mary Beacher.