|Reuben A. Beecher
Another name for Reuben was Reuben Beicher.3
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1870 in Mifflin Twp., Franklin, OH. 3 William Beicher, shoe maker, 42, was living with wife Susan, 41; Frances, 16; Medora, 14; Laura A., 12; Jeremiah, 7; and Reuben, 6. The parents were born in Pennsylvania, and the children in Ohio, so William moved there before 1854. The post office was Gahanna.
2. Census in 1880 in Silver Lake, Shawnee, KS. 1 William Beecker [as indexed in census, handwriting looks like Beecher], farmer, 54, was living with wife Susan, 52; son Francis M., laborer on farm, 25; daughter Modora, 22; son Jeremiah, 18; Reuben A., 16; and William A., 5. The parents and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. Francis and Maderu were born in Ohio, the younger children in Indiana.
3. Newspaper: Daily Commonwealth: Reuben Beecher Again in Trouble, 21 Jun 1884, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 7 Again In Trouble.
4. Newspaper: Topeka Daily Capital: Reuben Beecher Stole Money, 4 Oct 1884, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 8 North Topeka. Mr. Earl Craig, special police, deserves great credit for the efficient manner in which he apprehended Reuben Beecher, who stole the money from Mr. Jones. He got a description of his man and in two hours had him safely behind the bars. He also succeeded in recovering part of the money.
5. Kansas State Census census on 1 Mar 1885 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 2 The 1885 Kansas state census recorded Wm. Beechard, laborer, 60, living with wife Susanna, 57; Francis M., farmer, 30; Medora E., 28; Laura A., 25; Jeramiah, 23; Reuben A., 21; and Wm. Arthur, 10. Wm. Sr. was born in Pennsylvania, Jeramiah and Reuben in Indiana, and all others in Ohio. They moved to Kansas from Ohio.
6. Newspaper: Topeka Daily Capital: Reuben Beecher shot himself, 12 Mar 1886, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 9 North Topeka. Reuben Beecher, shot and seriously wounded himself Wednesday evening, while handling his revolver, which he was exhibiting to a friend. The ball -- a 38 -- entered the palm of his hand, between the middle fingers, and came out at the wrist joint, splintering the bone and causing a very painful, if not dangerous wound. Policeman Ward heard the firing, and secured the shooting iron, which he placed in safe-keeping, as Beecher is evidently unfit to handle such articles.
7. Newspaper: Topeka Daily Capital: "U.S. District Courts. United States vs. Brigham Young, Reuben Beecher, and Shorty. Rebuen Beecher arraigned and pleads guilty. Two years of hard labor in the penitentiary and $1.00 fine.", 22 Apr 1886, Topeka, Shawnee, KS.
8. Occupation: Painter in 1907 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 10 The 1907 Polk-Radges Directory for Topeka, Kansas recorded:
9. Census in 1910 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 11 The 1910 census recorded Ruben Beecher, painter, 45, single, as a roomer at 602 N. Kansas Avenue. He was born in Indiana and his parents in Pennsylvania.
10. Residence: 842 N. Kansas Ave, Topeka, KS in 1916 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 12
11. Newspaper: Topeka Daily Capital: Reuben Beecher Brought Back from Death at Hospital, 9 Sep 1916, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 13 STABBED, PERHAPS FATALLY SHIELDING CONVICT'S WIFE
12. Newspaper: Topeka Daily Capital: Reuben Beecher Stabbed by Ex-Con, 10 Sep 1916, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 14 Sunday, September 10, 1916. THE TOPEKA DAILY CAPITALS
13. Newspaper: Topeka Daily Capital: Rebuen Beecher Stabbed, 11 Sep 1916, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 15 "Reuben Beecher, who was stabbed in a drunken brawl Friday night by Frank White, a former convict, is much improved and his chances for recovery are excellent according to reports yesterday. He was resting well last night and without complications will recover."
14. Newspaper: Topeka Daily: T. B. Brings Another Release, 20 Oct 1916, Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 16 T. B. Brings Another Release -- "T. B." [tuberculosis] has released Frank White from prison for the fourth and perhaps the last time. Several weeks ago White stabbed Reuben Beecher during a quarrel at his home in the bottoms. He was captured and has been held in the county jail on a charge of assault with attempt to kill. Beecher was all but dead when taken to the hospital, but has since recovered and has disappeared from Topeka. Yesterday afternoon Beecher was taken in an ambulance from the county jail to his home. He was released on bond because his condidtion was such that the other prisoners were in great danger of becoming infected. White is 35 years old, and has been arrested several times.
15. Census in 1920 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 17 The 1920 census recorded Reuben A. Beecher, 51, born in Ohio, living in the household of Laura L. White, 39, born in Indiana. Also in the home is James W. Springate, 40, born in Ohio.
16. Census in 1930 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 18 The 1930 census recorded Rubin A. Beecher, 66, single, living as a lodger in the household headed by Fred A. Doan, 81. Rubin was born in Ohio.
17. Obituary: Topeka State Journal on 28 Feb 1957 in Topeka, Shawnee, KS. 5
18. He has conflicting death information of 1 Apr 1957. 6
19. Tombstone: Siblings Medora, William and Reuben Beecher are buried at A-Acacia Lawn, Lot 288, sp. 2A, 1 Apr 1957, Topeka: Penwell-Gabel Cemetery and Mausoleum, Shawnee, KS, USA.
1 1880 United States Census, Kansas, Shawnee County, Silver Lake Township, Series: T9 Roll: 397 Page: 274.
2 Ancestry.com, <i>Kansas State Census</i> (Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925.), Kansas State Historical Society; Topeka, Kansas; 1885 Kansas Territory Census; Roll: KS1885_127; Line: 14.
3 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Ohio, Franklin County, Mifflin Township: Series: M593 Roll: 1200 Page: 599.
4 Ancestry.com, <i>Kansas State Census</i> (Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925.), Roll v115_142, Topeka Ward 1, family 345.
5 <i>Topeka State Journal</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 29 Feb 1957, page 18. Obituary of Reuben A. Beecher, age 92.
6 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=117874282.
7 <i>The Daily Commonwealth</i> (Topeka,Shawnee, Kansas.), 21 Jun 1884, page 4.
8 <i>Topeka Daily Capital</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 4 Oct 1884, page 4.
9 <i>Topeka Daily Capital</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 12 Mar 1886, page 5.
10 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, Topeka, Kansas. Printed page 114, Image 391 of 665.
11 <i>1910 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2ZF-3XR Ruben Beecher in household of Jacob Krantz, Topeka Ward 1, Shawnee, Kansas, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 142, sheet 10A, family 178.
12 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, 1916 Topeka City Directory. Reuben A. Beecher.
13 <i>Topeka Daily Capital</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 9 Sep 1916, page 8.
14 <i>Topeka Daily Capital</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 10 Sep 1916, page 22.
15 <i>Topeka Daily Capital</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 11 Sep 1916, page 2. Topeka Happenings.
16 <i>Topeka Daily Capital</i> (Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas.), 20 Oct 1916, page 4.
17 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MFXS-98B Reuben A Beecher in entry for Laura L White, 1920.
18 <i>1930 United States Census</i>, Year: 1930; Census Place: Topeka, Shawnee, Kansas; Roll: 722; Page: 23B; Enumeration District: 17; Image: 320.0; FHL microfilm: 2340457.