|Mary H. Snyder
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1850 in Manheim Twp., York, PA. 6 In the 1850 Census on the same page in Manheim Township are two families whose children later marry: Elias Beecher and Ann Mary Snyder.
2. Census in 1860 in Manheim Twp., York, PA. 11 The 1860 census recorded Daniel Snyder, brick maker, 51, living with wife Elizabeth, 48; Levi, farm hand, 21; Wm Lewis, farm hand, 17; Daniel James, farm hand, 15; Elias, 13; Francis A. M., 10; John, 9; and Josephene A., 6. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania except Daniel Sr. in Maryland. The post office was Xenia.
3. Census in 1870 in Manheim Twp., York, PA. 12 13 Elias Becker [mispelling by Census enumerator], age 29, labourer, living with wife Anna Mary, 20, and son Levi, 2. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. He had no real estate and his possessions are worth $200.
4. Census in 1880 in York, York, PA. 14 The 1880 census recorded at 227 West Market Street: Henry J. Gresley, butcher, 46, living with his second wife, Mary H., 30, who married Henry after she divorced her first husband, Elias Beecher. Living in their home are step-children: Emma M. Beecher, 14 (whose future husband Charles Kurtz is listed below); and Elmer B. Beecher, 6; and the Gresley children: David A. Gresley, 20; Bertha L. Gresley, 14; and 12-year old twins Nellia G. and Robert J. Gresley. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
5. Census in 1900 in York, York, PA. 15 The 1900 census recorded owning the home at 229 W. Market Street: Mary Gresly, widow, 49, born Jun 1851, living with servant Annie Sweitzer, 57, and boarder Joseph Warden, dealer patent medicine, 36. Mary had birthed 3 children by 1900 and none were alive that year. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. Living at 221 W. Market Street was Sophia Gresly, widow, 74, with some of her children.
6. Newspaper: York Daily: news about Ward Beecher, sister Isabelle, and grandmother Mrs. Henry Gressly of Baltimore, 20 Aug 1913, York, York, PA. 16 Ward Beecher and sister Isabelle, of Philadelphia, are spending several weeks in this city, the guests of Mr. and Mrs. William McIlvain, South Penn street. Both are former Yorkers and this is the first trip to this city for Mr. Beecher since leaving 17 years ago. Miss Beecher visited here but once in that time. Before returning home they will visit their grandmother, Mrs. Henry Gressly, who formerly resided on West Market street, and is now living in New Friendship, Md.
7. Residence: Living in New Friendship neighborhood in Baltimore, MD on 20 Aug 1913 in Baltimore, Baltimore, MD. 17
8. Newspaper: The Gazette and Daily: "Mrs. Mary Gresly, who was the widow of Henry Gresly, former burgess of York, before incorporation of the city, died in Baltimore on May 27. Mrs. Gresly was seventy-five years old. Burial would take place in York.", 28 May 1938, York, York, PA. 9
Mary married Elias Beecher, son of Levi Beecher and Eve Flickinger, on 18 Nov 1866 in , York, PA.1 The marriage ended in divorce in 1874. (Elias Beecher was born on 2 Apr 1842 in Manheim Twp., York, PA 4 6 18 and died on 6 Nov 1924 in , Morrow, OH 4 19.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Newspaper: The Press, 29 Nov 1866, York, York, PA. Their marriage notice read: "Beecher, Eli - Snyder, Mary Ann (both of Manheim) Nov 18 1866 Rev. J.D. Zehring."
Mary next married Henry J. Gresly, son of Andrew Gresly and Rosanna Schrum, in 1880 in York, York, PA.2 3 (Henry J. Gresly was born on 31 Mar 1834 in York, York, PA,2 3 20 21 died on 3 Nov 1898 in York, York, PA 3 21 and was buried on 7 Nov 1898 in York: Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, PA 3 21.)
1 <i>The Press (York, PA)</i>, November 29, 1866 edition.
2 Prowell, George, <i>History of York County, Pennsylvania</i> (Historical Society of York County, PA. 1907. 3 volumes.), Vol. 2, page 20.
3 <i>The Gazette and Daily (York, PA)</i> (York, York, Pennsylvania.), 4 Nov 1898, page 1. Henry J. Gresly is Dead.
4 <i>Research Papers of Hank Beecher</i>.
5 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950</i>, (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFMV-P2F Daniel Beecher and Laura Zinn, 1889.
6 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, York County, Manheim Township, Series: M432 Roll: 839 Page: 328.
7 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=100159987. Grave of Mary Snyder Beecher Gresly.
8 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2FZ-TPP Frans Anna Mary Snyder, 28 Oct 1849 Saint Jacobs Stone Lutheran and Reformed Church, Brodbecks, York, PA.
9 <i>The Gazette and Daily (York, PA)</i> (York, York, Pennsylvania.), 28 May 1938, page 2. Death of Mary Gresly.
10 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ2B-6NQ Elias Becker, 1870.
11 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MXRC-5FZ Daniel Snyder, Manheim Township, York, Pennsylvania, United States; citing "1860 U.S. Federal Census - Population," Fold3.com; p. 65, household ID 504, NARA microfilm publication M653.
12 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, York County, Manheim Township, Series: M593 Roll: 1469 Page: 77.
13 <i>1870 United States Census</i>, Year: 1870; Census Place: Manheim, York, Pennsylvania; Roll: M593_1469; Page: 72B; Image: 146; Family History Library Film: 552968.
14 1880 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MWV1-BMY Charles Kurtz in household of William H Kurtz, York, York, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet 306A, NARA microfilm publication T9.
15 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M3H4-RM1 Mary Gresly, York city Ward 5, York, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet , family 7, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1241503.
16 <i>The York Daily (York, PA)</i>, 20 Aug 1913, page 2.
17 <i>The York Daily (York, PA)</i>, 30 Apr 1913, page 5.
18 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1254495; National Archives Film T9-0495; Page 602A.
19 FamilySearch.org, <i>Ohio Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007</i>, B -> Printed page 505, image 471 of 1005.
20 1880 United States Census, Pennsylvania, York County, York Ward 5, Family History Library Film 1255207, NA Film Number T9-1207 Page 305D.
21 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=61194205.