|Vice Admiral William Gordon Beecher Jr.
BURIED AT: SECTION 1 SITE 305-B.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Evidence: An article about Gordon Beecher is on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Beecher.
2. Occupation: Composer, author, naval officer. 9 Biography for Lt. W.J. Beecher.
3. Occupation: poet. At the "National Museum of the Pacific War," the online gift store sells...
4. Census in 1910 in Baltimore, Baltimore, MD. 2 Renting at 401 Seminole Ave was Gordon W. Beecher, architect, 33. He was married for 7 years to wife Gertrude R., 29. She had given birth to 3 children: W. Gordon Jr., 6; Mary, 4; and Clara G., 11 months old on May 9, 1910 when the census was recorded. Also in the home was Clara B. Robertson, mother in law, 55, married for 32 years with 4 children, including 2 daughters living with her: Ethel K., 27, single; and C. M., 23, single. Everyone was born in Maryland except the mother-in-law in Virginia.
5. Census in 1920 in Baltimore, Baltimore, MD. 10 William G. Beecher, architect, 42, was living with wife Gertrude, 38; William G. Jr., 15; Mary I., 13; C. Gertrude, 10; and C. Robertson Beecher, 7. Also with them: Clara B. Robertson, mother in law, 64, widowed; and C. Myrtle Robertson, sister in law, clerk in a telephone company, 32. William was renting his home at 254 Frederick Ave. Everyone and their parents were born in Maryland, except Gertrude's mother Clara was born Virginia of Virginian parents.
6. Military from 22 Jun 1921 to 1 Aug 1955 in , , , USA: Served in the U.S. Navy. 11
7. He was educated at William Gordon Beecher Jr.'s photo appears in the 1925 Lucky Bag Yearbook at the U.S. Naval Academy in 1925 in Annapolis, Anne Arundel, MD. 12
8. Newspaper: Baltimore Sun: Miss C. B. Benson Weds Ensign W. G. Beecher Jr., 24 May 1927, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD. 1 Ceremony Is Performed In Mount Vernon Place Methodist Episcopal Church.
9. Residence: Beecher, Wm. G (Carvilla B) USN r 416 D Avenue, San Diego, CA in 1930 in San Diego, San Diego, CA. 13
10. Residence: Beecher Wm G (Carvilla) USN h 1215 3rd Avenue, San Diego, CA in 1932 in San Diego, San Diego, CA. 14
11. S.S. Lurline Departing Los Angeles 14 Jun 1935 Arriving Honolulu 20 Jun 1935 on 20 Jun 1935 in Honolulu, Honolulu, HI. 15 Beecher, William 31
12. SS Lurline, Depart Honolulu, HI 15 Jan 1938 Arrive Los Angeles, CA 22 Jan 1938 on 15 Jan 1938 in Honolulu, Honolulu, HI. 16 Beecher, William, 33
13. William served in the military on 1 Oct 1941. COMMANDING OFFICERS BY SIGNAL NUMBER, OCTOBER 1, 1941
14. SS Aquintania, Depart Honolulu, Arrive San Pedro, CA 10 Apr 1942 on 10 Apr 1942 in Honolulu, Honolulu, HI. 17 Beecher, Carvilla, 35
15. Occupation: Chief of information in the Department of the Navy on 23 Sep 1954 in Alexandria, Alexandria (city), VA. 5
16. Residence: on 27 Jan 1963 in Arlington, Arlington, VA. 4
17. Occupation: military correspondent to the New York TImes in 1969 in New York, New York, NY. 1969: Reporter Breaks the News of Secret Bombing in Cambodia. William Beecher, military correspondent for the New York Times, publishes a front page dispatch from Washington, "Raids in Cambodia by U.S. Unprotested," which accurately described the first of the secret B-52 bombing raids in Cambodia. Within hours, Henry Kissinger, presidential assistant for national security affairs, contacted J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, asking him to find the governmental sources of Beecher's article. During the next two years, Alexander Haig, a key Kissinger assistant, transmitted the names of National Security Council staff members and reporters who were to have their telephones wiretapped by the FBI.
18. Residence: on 11 Mar 1972 in Alexandria, Alexandria (city), VA. 18 A letter discussing their family genealogy was sent to Vice Admiral W. Gordon Beecher at 2500 N. Van Dorn St., Alexandria, Virginia 22302 on March 11, 1972 by Craig Bennett of Charleston, SC who is a descendent of Sarah Salome Beecher b.1796.
William married Carvilla Brian Benson, daughter of Carville Dickinson Benson and Harriette Cassard Miller, on 23 May 1927 in Baltimore, Baltimore, MD.1 (Carvilla Brian Benson was born on 27 Jun 1906 in Halethorpe, Baltimore, MD,3 died on 9 Nov 1986 in McLean, Fairfax, Virginia, United States 3 19 and was buried in Arlington: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA 19.)
1 database(http://www.baltimoresun.com), 24 May 1927, page 3. Marriage of Miss C. B. Benson and Ensign W. G. Beecher Jr.
2 <i>1910 United States Census</i>, Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore District 1, Series: T624 Roll: 550 Page: 42.
3 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
4 database(http://www.baltimoresun.com), 28 Jan 1963, pages 1 and 11, obituary of William Gordon Beecher.
5 database(http://www.baltimoresun.com), 24 Sep 1954, page 17. Obituary of Mrs. Gertrude Beecher.
6 <i>Internet Movie Database (IMDb)</i> (http://www.imdb.com), http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0066328/.
7 <i>Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia</i> (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/ has online gravsite locator.), Section 1 Site 305-B.
8 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?GRid=21149597&page=gr.
9 <i>Internet Movie Database (IMDb)</i> (http://www.imdb.com), http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0066328/bio.
10 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore Ward 28, Series: T625 Roll: 667 Page: 257.
11 Ancestry.com, <i>U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010</i> (Beneficiary Identification Records Locator Subsystem (BIRLS) Death File. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.), Record for William Beecher, SSN 223-50-6846.
12 Ancestry.com, <i>U.S. School Yearbooks</i>, United States Naval Academy, 1925 Lucky Bag Yearbook, printed page 140, online image 151. Photo and article for William Gordon Beecher Jr.
13 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, 1930 San Diego Directory, page 1206.
14 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, 1932 San Diego City Directory, page 1054, image 546.
15 Ancestry.com, <i>Honolulu, Hawaii, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1900-1959</i> (National Archives, Washington, D.C.Passenger and Crew Manifests of Airplanes Departing from Honolulu, Hawaii, 12/1957-9/1969. NARA Microfilm Publication A3577 56 rolls. Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004, Record Group 85. National Archives, Washington, D.C.), Nara Roll: 156. William Beecher and family.
16 FamilySearch.org, <i>California, Los Angeles Passenger Lists, 1907-1948</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZQH-G7L William and family.
17 FamilySearch.org, <i>California, Los Angeles Passenger Lists, 1907-1948</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZQH-G7L Carvilla B. and children.
<i>Letter from Craig Bennett</i> (On file at the Adams County Historical Society, Gettysburg, Adams County, PA.
Mar 11 1972 letter from Craig M. Bennett, 31 Meeting St, Charleston Sc 29401, to Vice Admiral William Gordon Beecher of Alexandria, VA, describing the antique hand-painted fracturs cica 1800 proving birth of Samuel to father Henry Büger in possession of Craig, a descendent.
http://www.emmitsburg.net/achs/), March 11, 1972.
19 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35528986&.