|Christina Barbara Bittinger
Another name for Christina was Tennie Bittinger.16
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1850 in Menallen Twp., Adams, PA. 8 The 1850 census recorded Andrew Bittinger, farmer, 47, living with wife Barbara, 38; Philip, 17; Ann, 14; Levinia, 15; George, 15; Andrew Jr., 11; Amos, 8; Armanias, 7; Susan, 5; Elmira, 3; Christina, 2, and Clara, 1. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
2. Census in 1880 in Logan Twp., Blair, PA. 17 Adam Beecher, carpenter, 29, was living with wife Christina, 32; Cora May, 6; and Emery C., 1. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
3. Residence: in 1895 in Altoona, Blair, PA. Listed in C. B. Clark's Altoona City Directory...
4. Census in 1900 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 4 Owning the home at 200 E Fourth Avenue was Christina Beecher, 51, born Mar 1849. Christina had birthed 6 children, four stil alive, all living with her: Emory, carpenter, 21, Dec 1878; Olive, 19, Oct 1880; Edgar, laborer, 17, Jan 1883; and Wilmer, 13, Jul 1886. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
5. Newspaper: Altoona Mirror: No. 3 Company used one Rex to extinguish a burning flue on the residence of Mrs. Christina Beecher, 200 E. Fourth avenue, at 10:40 this morning., 17 Feb 1905, Altoona, Blair, PA. 18
6. Census in 1910 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 19 The 1910 census recorded at 200 E. Fourth Avenue: Christina B. Beecher, widow, 62, living with daughter Olive S. Beecher, dressmaker, 28, and son John W. Beecher, printer, 23. Christina had birthed 6 children by 1910, 4 still alive then. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
7. Newspaper: Adams County News, 11 Sep 1915, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 20 Mrs. Christina Beecher, Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Beecher and children, Emory and Cathrine, and Olley Beecher, Mr. and Mrs. Jeremiah Long, of Altoona, were visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Smelser. They came in an automobile. Mrs. Christina Beecher is a sister of Mrs. Harry Smelser. Mrs. Beecher and Mrs. Smelser are the only two of a family of twelve children that are living.
8. Newspaper: Altoona Tribune: "City firemen from Nos. 2 And 3 stations extinguished a threatening blaze originated by lightning at the home of Mrs. Christina Beecher, 200 East Fourth avenue, at 1.10 o'lock, when the roof and attic caught fire. No one was injured.", 25 Jul 1918, Altoona, Blair, PA. 21
9. Census in 1920 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 22 The 1920 census recorded at 200 E. Fourth Avenue: Christinia Beecher, 71, living with daughter Olive, store clerk, single, 38, and son William [Wilmor], steam crain operator, single, 38. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
10. Newspaper: Altoona Tribune: "Mrs. Christina Beecher Has A Happy Birthday", 12 Mar 1923, Altoona, Blair, PA. 13 Mrs. Christina Beecher, a well-known resident of the Tenth ward, residing at 200 East Fourth avenue, celebrated her seventy-fifth birthday anniversary March 8. All the children and the grandchildren were in attendance and an evening of memorable festivity was enjoyed.
11. Obituary: Altoona Tribune: obituary of Mrs. Christina Barbara Beecher on 25 Aug 1925 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 2 Mrs. Christina Barbara Beecher, widow of Adam Beecher of 204 East Fourth avenue, died at 3:15 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the family home. She was born March 8, 1848, and had been a resident of Altoona for the past forty-two years. She was united in marriage on January 5, 1873, the husband having died in 1892. Surviving are one daughter, Miss Olive, at home, and two sons, Emory, of Altoona and Edward of Greenwood. She was a charter member of the Bethany Lutheran church. Funeral services will be conducted at 3:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the church, in charge of the Rev. A. J. Rudisill. Interment in Fairview Cemetery.
12. Obituary: on 29 Aug 1925 in Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 16 Mrs. Tennie Beecher, widow of Adam Beecher, and native of Adams county, died in Altoona on Monday. She was the last member of the family of the late Andrew and Barbara Bittinger, of Arendtsville. She is survived by one daughter, Miss Olive, and two sons, Emory and Edward Beecher, all of Altoona. The funeral services were on Wednesday from her home in Altoona, followed by interment there.
Christina married Adam Beecher, son of John Beecher and Elizabeth Gulden, on 5 Jan 1873 in Arendtsville, Adams, PA.1 2 (Adam Beecher was born in 1850 in , Adams, PA,11 23 24 died on 22 Dec 1892 in Altoona, Blair, PA 24 25 and was buried on 24 Dec 1892 in Altoona: Fairview Cemetery, Blair, PA 24 25.)
1 <i>Hanover Herald Newspaper, Hanover, York County, Pennsylvania</i>, 18 Jan 1873.
2 <i>Altoona Tribune (Altoona, PA)</i>, 25 Aug 1925, page 12. Obituary of Mrs. Christina Barbara Beecher.
3 <i>Records of Sharon Nickol Swope</i> (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=nickol).
4 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Blair County, Altoona, Series: T623 Roll: 1381 Page: 97.
5 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF3Z-Z8S Edgar A. Beecher and Bessie Gale Long, 1906.
6 Ancestry.com, <i>Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966</i> (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 109097. Edgar Andrew Beecher. Father Adam Beecher. Mother Christine Bittinger.
7 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V2FP-S1F Andrew Bittinger in entry for Christina Barbara Bittinger, 04 Jun 1848; Christening, FHL microfilm 824351.
8 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11873-32301-43?cc=1401638 Pennsylvania > Adams > Menallen > image 3 of 35; citing NARA microfilm publication M432.
9 <i>Altoona Tribune (Altoona, PA)</i>, 13 Jan 1939, page 12. Obituary of Mrs. Olive Susan Long.
10 Ancestry.com, <i>U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007</i> (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), Edgar Andrew Beecher, SSN 716070543.
11 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255103; National Archives Film T9-1103; Page 427A.
12 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=89827109.
13 <i>Altoona Tribune (Altoona, PA)</i>, 12 Mar 1923, page 3.
14 Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania, 29 Aug - from Adams Co. card file.
15 Pennsylvania Department of Health, <i>Pennsylvania, Death Indices</i> (Pennsylvania Division of Vital Records, New Castle, PA, 16103. Online at http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/public_records/20686 .), Death Certificate 77631. Christine Beecher, d. 23 Aug 1925 in Altoona.
16 <i>The Star and Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA)</i> (Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania), 29 Aug 1925, obituary of Mrs. Tennie Beecher.
17 1880 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Blair County, Logan Township, Family History Library Film 1255103, NA Film Number T9-1103, Page 427A.
18 <i>Altoona Mirror (Altoona, PA)</i> (Altoona, Blair County, Pennsylvania), 17 Feb 1905, page 1.
19 <i>1910 United States Census</i>, Year: 1910; Census Place: Altoona Ward 10, Blair, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1317; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 0057; FHL microfilm: 1375330.
20 <i>Adams County News, Adams County, PA</i>, 11 Sep 1915, page 4.
21 <i>Altoona Tribune (Altoona, PA)</i>, 25 Jul 1918, page 1.
22 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, Year: 1920; Census Place: Altoona Ward 10, Blair, Pennsylvania. Enumeration District: 0074; Description: Altoona City, Ward 10 (part) bounded by Ward line, City limits, 4th Ave, 3rd, 3rd extd.
23 <i>1860 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Adams County, Tyrone Township, Roll 1057 Book 1, Page 637.
24 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=89826719.
25 <i>Altoona Tribune (Altoona, PA)</i>, 23 Dec 1892, page 1. Death of Adam Beecher.