Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1900 in Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 12 The 1900 census recorded Milton [index wrong due to poor handwriting which actually is William] Kendrick, coal miner, no age listed, living with wife Matilda, 68, born Jun 1832. They were married for 19 years, and she had given birth to eight children, 5 still alive in 1900. Living with them are two lodgers: Flossie Miller, 11, May 1889; and Emma Youst, dressmaker, 17, May 1883. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania, except Milton and his parents in Wales. Milton immigrated in 1870 and had become a U.S. citizen. [Note: Emma Youst is Matilda's granddaughter by her first marriage to George Derr.]
2. Census in 1910 in Tulare, Tulare, CA. 4 Renting at 373 King St: William J. Beecher, 33, was married for 9 years to wife Emma, 26. She had given birth to 7 children, 6 alive in 1910. Living with them: Edith, 8; Anne, 7; Willie, 6; Arthur, 5; May, 3; John, 2; and William's father, Hiram, 68, widowed. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. No one had an occupation.
3. Census in 1920 in Castroville, Monterey, CA. 13 William J. Beecher, laborer in salt works, 43, was living with wife Emma, 36; William J., 16; Arthur, 14; May, 13; John L., 11; and Benjamin Franklin, 10. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. William was renting his home, and had served in World War I.
4. Census in 1930 in Monterey, Monterey, CA. 14 The 1930 census recorded owning a $2500 home at 561 Broadway: William Bucher [indexed wrong, handwriting is Beecher], laborer in fish cannery, 53, living with wife Emma, 47; son William Jr., machinist in fish cannery, 25; daughter-in-law Mary, 23; and grandson William 3rd, 4. The child and his mother were born in California, the others and their parents in Pennsylvania. Mary's father was born in Nevada and mother in Texas.
5. Census in 1940 in Monterey, Monterey, CA. 15 In the 1940 Census William J. Beecher, 64, was living with wife Emma, 57. Both were born in Pennsylvania.
Emma married William Jacob Beecher Sr., son of Hiram Beecher and Henrietta Jacobs, on 15 Dec 1900 in Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA.1 2 3 (William Jacob Beecher Sr. was born on 24 May 1876 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA,4 16 17 18 19 20 21 died on 17 Feb 1951 in Monterey, Monterey, CA 18 21 and was buried in Pacific Grove: El Carmelo Cemetery, Monterey, CA 1 21.)
They were married by Rev. F. Weiss according to the marriage certificate. 19
1 Beecher, Dianne, <i>Interview with Dianne Beecher, wife of William E. Beecher, son of Arthur L. Beecher.</i> (June 11, 2008).
2 <i>Northumberland County Courthouse, Northumberland County, PA</i>, Marriage certificate of William J. Beecher and Emma Youst.
3 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF9P-QGS William J. Beacher and Emma Youst, 15 Dec 1900; citing , Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States; FHL microfilm 961098.
4 <i>1910 United States Census</i>, California, Tulare County, Tulare Ward 2, Series: T624 Roll: 111 Page: 92.
5 California Vital Records, Death Certificate of William Jacob Beecher b.1903 states mother's maiden name as Youst.
6 California Vital Records, Death Certificate of Emma Beecher born 05/01/1883.
7 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=39415158.
8 FamilySearch.org, <i>California, County Marriages, 1850-1952</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K82R-D91 William Jacob Beecher and Mary Ella Huckaby, 10 Dec 1923; citing p. 254, San Joaquin, California, United States; FHL microfilm 1841869.
9 <i>Mount Carmel Item</i> (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 15 Jan 1942, page 6. Obituary of Henry N. Youst.
10 <i>Mount Carmel Item</i> (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 30 Jan 1939, page 8. Obituary of Mrs. Henry Youst.
11 <i>Mount Carmel Item</i> (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 26 Jul 1938, page 8. Obituary of Joseph H. Youst Sr.
12 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M379-T88 Matilda Kendrick in household of Milton Kendrick, Mt Carmel borough Ward 3, Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet 20A, family 389, NARA microfilm publication T623.
13 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, California, Monterey, Castroville, Series: T625 Roll: 122 Page: 85.
14 <i>1930 United States Census</i>, Year: 1930; Census Place: Monterey, Monterey, California; Roll: 179; Page: 23B; Enumeration District: 0028; Image: 860.0; FHL microfilm: 2339914.
15 <i>1940 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K94Q-MNB William J Beecher, Monterey Judicial Township, Monterey, California, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 27-34, sheet 28B, family 734.
16 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Northumberland County, Roll 1449 Book 2, Page 98.
17 California Vital Records.
18 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mount Carmel Boro, Series: T623 Roll: 1449 Page: 43.
19 <i>Northumberland County Courthouse, Northumberland County, PA</i>, Marriage license of William Beecher and Emma Youst.
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Dept. of Health, <i>Pennsylvania Birth Certificate</i> (http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=168&Q=229939
Pennsylvania Division of Vital Records
101 South Mercer Street
PO Box 1528
New Castle, PA 16101
(724) 656-3100), Delayed birth certificate of William Jacob Beecher Sr. (1876-1951) applied for on 17 Aug 1942.
21 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=39415179.