|Emma Jane Beecroft
Emma's parents were from England. Her father died while she was young, so Emma was raised by her grandparents when her mother remarried. Her mother ran a boarding house to support the family. 14
Noted events in her life were:
1. Issue: 10 children. 2
2. Census in 1900 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 4 The 1900 census recorded owning the home at 304 Cherry Street: Bella Beecroft, occupation - grocery store, widow, 55, born Nov 1844 in England as were her parents. She immigrated in 1865. Bella had given birth to 9 children, and 6 were alive in 1900. Living with her in 1900 were: son Harry, 23, Oct 1876; Mary, 22, Apr 1878; Joseph, 16, Nov 1883, and granddaughter Emma Jane Beecroft, 11 months, Jun 1899. All children were born in Pennsylvania and their parents in England.
3. Newspaper: Republican and Herald: The engagement of Miss Emma Beecroft to Alfred Beacher, of Leavenworth, Kansas, is announced. The wedding will take place at the home of the bride in February., 28 Dec 1915, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 15
4. Census in 1920 in North Braddock, Allegheny, PA. 16 Alfred Beacher, occupation oiler in engine company, 27, was living with wife Emma, 21; and son Jack, 2 years 9 months. Jack was born in Ohio, the parents and their parents in Pennsylvania.
5. Census in 1930 in Clementon, Camden, NJ. 17 The 1930 census in Clementon recorded Alfred Beacher, 37, living with wife Emma J., 30; John C., 12; Lillian A., 9; Alfred R., 7; William, 5; Henry, 3; and Richard G., 0. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania except John in Ohio and Alfred R. in Delaware.
6. Census in 1940 in Lewes, Sussex, DE. 18 The 1940 census recorded living the home at 115 Woodland: Alfred Beacher, 48, living with wife Emma J., 40; John C., 23; Lillian A. Evans, 20; Alfred R., 17; William, 15; Henry W., 13; and Richard G., 11, Lura M., 7, and Joseph L., 2. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania except John and Lura in Ohio and Alfred R. in Delaware. Also in their home was Laban Evans, son in law, 23, born in Maryland, and granddaughter Reida V. Evans, 2 and grandson Alfred J. T. Evans, 0, both born in Delaware. In 1935, the census reports they were living in Burton, Geauga, Ohio.
8. Obituary: Evening Herald: obituary of Emma Beacher on 27 Dec 1977 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 20 Emma J., widow of Alfred Beacher, antive of Shenandoah, died December 23 in Union Hospital, Elkton, Md. She was 78.
9. Obituary: Hazleton Standard-Speaker on 27 Dec 1977 in Hazleton, Luzerne, PA. 21 MRS. ALFRED BEACHER
10. Obituary: The Morning News: obituary of Emma J. Beacher on 28 Dec 1977 in Wilmington, New Castle, DE. 13 BEACHER On December 23rd, 1977. Emma J. Beacher of Boxwood Road, Elkton, Md., wife of the late Alfred Beacher, mother of John C. Beacher, near Elkton, Alfred Beacher, of Baltimore, Md., Henry W. Beacher, near Elkton, Richard G. Beacher, Elkton, Joseph L. Beacher, of Newark, Del., James W., Elkton, Mrs. Lillian Evans of Salisbury Md., Mrs. Laura Parsons, Salisbury, Md., Mrs. Suzanne Bell of Elkton, Md., 23 grandchildren, 18 great grandchildren, 1 great, great grandchild. Aged 78 years. Relatives and friends are invited to attend the funeral service on Wednesday morning December 28th, at 11 o'clock, from the GEE FUNERAL HOME, 259 E. Main Street, Elkton. Md. Interment at the Templeville Cemetery, Templeville, Md.
Emma married Alfred Beacher Sr., son of William M. Beacher and Priscilla Brigitta Wary, on 18 Jan 1916 in West Hazleton, Luzerne, PA.1 (Alfred Beacher Sr. was born on 21 Jan 1892 in Boston Run, Schuylkill, PA,1 3 10 19 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 died on 30 Jun 1963 in Perry Point, Cecil, MD, USA 3 8 10 12 19 24 and was buried on 3 Jul 1963 in Templeville: Templeville Cemetery, Caroline, MD 3 8 24.)
1 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMCB-N7S Priscilla Derrick in entry for Alfred Beacher and Emma Beecroft, 1916.
2 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, <i>Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter</i>, Issue 1 Jun 1978.
3 <i>Templeville Cemetery, Templeville, Caroline County, Maryland</i>.
4 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M34W-DFM Emma Jane Beecroft in entry for Bella Beecroft, 1900.
5 <i>Cecil Daily (Elkton, MD)</i>, 8 Feb 2104, obituary of Richard G. Beacher.
6 <i>Cecil Daily (Elkton, MD)</i>, 31 Dec 2009, obituary of James W. Beacher.
7 Ancestry.com, <i>U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007</i> (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), John Charles Beacher, SSN 222090145.
8 <i>The Morning News (Wilmington, DE)</i>, 3 Jul 1963, page 17. Obituary of Alfred Beacher.
9 <i>Parsell Funeral Home</i> (Lewes, Sussex, Delaware), http://www.parsellfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Lura-Parsons/.
10 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
11 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5296717.
12 <i>Social Security Death Index</i>, Death record for Fred G. Gibbons.
13 <i>The Morning News (Wilmington, DE)</i>, 28 Dec 1977, page 7. Obituary of Emma J. Beacher.
14 <i>Genealogy Research conducted by Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D. (1919-2004)</i>.
15 <i>Republican and Herald (Pottsville, PA)</i> (www.republicanherald.com), 28 Dec 1915, page 1.
16 <i>1920 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Allegheny County, North Braddock Ward 3, Series: T625 Roll: 1515 Page: 259.
17 <i>1930 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X48B-2PL Alfred Beacher, Clementon, Camden, New Jersey; citing enumeration district (ED) 0091, sheet 5A, family 91, NARA microfilm publication T626, roll 1323.
18 <i>1940 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VRZ2-3YT Alfred Beacher, Representative District 3, Sussex, Delaware, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 3-15B, sheet 5B, family 115, NARA digital publication T627, roll 547.
19 Ancestry.com, <i>U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1963</i> (Original data: Applications for Headstones for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1941. Microfilm publication M1916, 134 rolls. ARC ID: 596118. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General, Record Group 92. National Archives at Washington, D.C.Applications for Headstones, compiled 01/01/1925 - 06/30/1970, documenting the period ca. 1776 - 1970 ARC: 596118. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General, 1774–1985, Record Group 92. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.), Alfred (no middle initial) Beacher. Service Number 1461063.
20 <i>The Evening Herald (Shenandoah, PA)</i>, 27 Dec 1977, apge 2. Obituary of Emma Beacher.
21 <i>Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, PA</i> (Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania), 27 Dec 1977, obituary of Emma J. Beacher.
23 <i>1900 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mahanoy Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1483 Page: 253.
24 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5296716.
25 <i>World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918</i> (Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005. Original data: United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls.), National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C; State Headquarters: Maryland; Microfilm Series: M1939; Microfilm Roll: 3. Registration of Alfred Beacher, Snow Hill, MD. Draft Card Serial # U 362.
26 <i>United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918</i>, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K6F6-3H6 Alfred Beacher, 1917-1918.
27 Ancestry.com, <i>Ohio Military Men, 1917-18</i> (Original data: Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War, 1917-1918. Vol. I-XXIII. Columbus, OH, USA: F. J. Heer Printing Co., 1926.).
28 FamilySearch.org, <i>United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3Z1-M2S Alfred Beacher.