Another name for Letty was Leenah Couenhoven.6
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1800 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA. 7 The 1800 census recorded Jown Cownover with this household:
2. Residence: in 1816 in Taneytown, Carroll, MD. 8 The obituary of Henry's son William Beecher, who was born in 1816, states William was born near Taneytown, Marland.
3. Census in 1820 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. 9 The 1820 census recorded Henry Beecher's household with:
4. Vol. B page 452: Orphan's court appoints Robert Thompson guardian of Henry Beecher's children on 2 Oct 1822 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. 10 "On application the Court appoint Robert Thompson of Cumberland township to be guardian of the person and estates of David Beecher, John Beecher, William Beecher, Eli Beecher, Catherine Elizabeth Beecher minor children under the age of fourteen years of Henry Beecher late of Cumberland township decd."
5. Vol. B page 461. Court orders the sale of Henry Beecher's land on 20 Dec 1822 on 14 Nov 1822 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. 4 The petition of William Counover and Garret Counover Administrators of the estate of Henry Beecher late of the township of Cumberland in the County and state aforesaid decd. Was read to the Court setting forth that the said Intestate left a widow to wit, Letty, and five children to survive him to wit David John William Eli and Betsey all in their minority, that the personal estate of said decd. is insufficient to pay his debts & maintain and educate the said minor children as by the account herewith produced appears and that the said deceased died seized in his demense as of fee of and in a certain plantation of Tract of land situate in the township and County aforesaid adjoining lands of Andrew Walker William Wilson Robert McCreary & others containing about eight five acres - The petitioner therefore prays the Court to grant him an order to make sale of the said Tract of land with appurtenances for the payment of the debts and the maintenance of the minor children of the said Intestate -- The said Administrators having produced and exhibited an inventory of all the said Intestates personal estate, and also a just and true account upon oath of all the debts of the said decd which have come to their knowledge - It therefore appearing to the Court upon due proof and consideration had of the premises that the personal estate of said intestate will not be sufficient to pay the debts and maintain and educate the minor children of said Intestate until the eldest child attains to the age of twenty one years, or to put them out to be apprentices and to teach them to read & write - It thereupon allowed, ordered and directed that the said Administrators make public sale of the premises on Saturday the 20th day of December next at 11 o'clock A.M. the same upon the best computation being by the same Court adjudged necessary to be sold for the purpose aforesaid and the Court further order and direct that before any such sale is made twelve writings be made by the Clerk of said Court upon parchment or good paper signifying and giving ten days Notice of such sale and of the day and hour, when and the place were the same will be, and what lands are to be sold, and where they lie, which notices shall be delivered to the Sheriff in order to be fixed upon in the most public places of the County of Adams, at least ten days before sale, and the said Sheriff is hereby required to make publication accordingly, and that publication of the same be made in the Adams Centinel at least ten days before the said sale.
6. Residence: in 1826 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA. 3
7. Newspaper: Republican Compiler, Marriages: "Thursday last, Robert M'Kinney of Mountjoy to Mrs. Beecher of Cumberland.", 18 Oct 1826, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 1
8. Census in 1830 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA. 11 Robert McKinney was listed with this household:
9. Newspaper: Gettysburg Compiler: Orphan's Court Notice for John Cownover, 23 Oct 1832, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 12 At an Orphan's Court, Held at Gettysburg, for the county of Adams, on the second day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-two -- before John Reed, Esq. and his Associates, Judges &c. assigned, &c.
10. Census in 1840 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA. 13 Free White Persons - Males - 10 thru 14: 2
11. Census in 1850 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA. 14 The 1850 census recorded Robert McKenney, farmer, 57, living with wife Alley, 56; Andrew, 22; Robert C., 20; and Mary M., 18. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. Robert's real estate was valued at $1700.
Letty married Henry Beecher, son of Samuel Beecher and Barbara Winterode. (Henry Beecher was born from 1776 to 1794 in , , PA, died on 22 Jul 1822 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA 15 16 17 and was buried in Gettysburg: Pine Bank Cemetery, Adams, PA 17.)
Letty next married Robert McKinney on 12 Oct 1826 in , Adams, PA.1 (Robert McKinney was born on 7 Apr 1793 in , , PA,11 18 died on 29 Jul 1863 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA 18 and was buried in Gettysburg: Pine Bank Cemetery, Adams, PA 18.)
1 Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania, Oct 18, 1826 edition.
2 <i>Records of Sharon Nickol Swope</i> (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=nickol).
3 <i>The Republican Compiler, Gettysburg, PA</i>, Sep 20, 1826 Edition.
4 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994</i> (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28695-27325-95?cc=1999196&wc=M99F-4SX:n2072520744 Adams > Orphans' Court records 1800-1827 vol. A-C > image 505 of 746. Vol. B page 461.
5 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79694744.
6 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2VV-6ZW Leenah Couenhoven, 19 Aug 1792; Christening, Conewago Dutch Reformed Church, FHL microfilm 20,338.
7 <i>1800 United States Census</i>, Year: 1800; Census Place: Mount Joy, Adams, Pennsylvania; Series: M32; Roll: 35; Page: 507; Image: 30; Family History Library Film: 363338.
8 <i>Pittsburgh Daily Post (Pittsburgh, PA)</i>, 26 Jan 1897, page 8. Obituary of William Beecher.
9 <i>1820 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Adams County, Cumberland Township, Series: M33 Roll: 96 Page: 15.
10 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994</i> (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28695-27110-90?cc=1999196&wc=M99F-4SX:n2072520744 Adams > Orphans' Court records 1800-1827 vol. A-C > image 501 of 746.
11 <i>1830 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Adams County, Mount Joy Township, Series: M19 Roll: 143 Page: 36.
12 <i>Gettysburg Compiler</i> (Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania.), 23 Oct 1832, page 3. Probate notice for John Cownover.
13 <i>1840 United States Census</i>, Year: 1840; Census Place: Mount Joy, Adams, Pennsylvania; Roll: 435; Page: 35; Image: 75; Family History Library Film: 0020535.
14 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M44H-H65 Robert Mckenney, Mount Joy, Adams, Pennsylvania, United States; citing family 167.
15 Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
16 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania.
17 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149231306.
18 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79694689.