Henry Beecher 1
Other names for Henry were Henry Bücher Jr 5 and Henry Buecher Jr.
FamilySearch ID: LDMX-5DT.
Also buried in Pine Bank Cemetery are unrelated Bucher descendants of immigrant Nicholas Bucher, not to be confused with the Buecher/Beecher famiily.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Fact: Henry is a grandson of Henry Beecher Sr. d.1795. We guess his father is Samuel but could be Samuel's brother William who also lived near Taneytown, MD where this Henry lived in 1816.
2. Residence: in 1816 in Taneytown, Carroll, MD. 6 The obituary of Henry's son William Beecher, who was born in 1816, states William was born nearTaneytown, Marland.
3. Census in 1820 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. 7 The 1820 census recorded Henry Beecher's household with:
4. Probate on 24 Jul 1822 in , Adams, PA. 5 8 His will is #1027 proved 24 July 1822. William & Garret Counover, Administrators. Inventory Filed 10 Aug 1822. Accounts Settled 26 Dec 1827.
5. Vol. B page 452: Orphan's court appoints Robert Thompson guardian of Henry Beecher's children on 2 Oct 1822 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. 9 "On application the Court appoint Robert Thompson of Cumberland township to be guardian of the person and estates of David Beecher, John Beecher, William Beecher, Eli Beecher, Catherine Elizabeth Beecher minor children under the age of fourteen years of Henry Beecher late of Cumberland township decd."
6. He signed a will on 11 Nov 1822 in , Adams, PA. 5 10 Abstract of his will executed 11 Nov. 1822.
7. Vol. B page 461. Court orders the sale of Henry Beecher's land on 20 Dec 1822 on 14 Nov 1822 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. 11 The petition of William Counover and Garret Counover Administrators of the estate of Henry Beecher late of the township of Cumberland in the County and state aforesaid decd. Was read to the Court setting forth that the said Intestate left a widow to wit, Letty, and five children to survive him to wit David John William Eli and Betsey all in their minority, that the personal estate of said decd. is insufficient to pay his debts & maintain and educate the said minor children as by the account herewith produced appears and that the said deceased died seized in his demense as of fee of and in a certain plantation of Tract of land situate in the township and County aforesaid adjoining lands of Andrew Walker William Wilson Robert McCreary & others containing about eight five acres - The petitioner therefore prays the Court to grant him an order to make sale of the said Tract of land with appurtenances for the payment of the debts and the maintenance of the minor children of the said Intestate -- The said Administrators having produced and exhibited an inventory of all the said Intestates personal estate, and also a just and true account upon oath of all the debts of the said decd which have come to their knowledge - It therefore appearing to the Court upon due proof and consideration had of the premises that the personal estate of said intestate will not be sufficient to pay the debts and maintain and educate the minor children of said Intestate until the eldest child attains to the age of twenty one years, or to put them out to be apprentices and to teach them to read & write - It thereupon allowed, ordered and directed that the said Administrators make public sale of the premises on Saturday the 20th day of December next at 11 o'clock A.M. the same upon the best computation being by the same Court adjudged necessary to be sold for the purpose aforesaid and the Court further order and direct that before any such sale is made twelve writings be made by the Clerk of said Court upon parchment or good paper signifying and giving ten days Notice of such sale and of the day and hour, when and the place were the same will be, and what lands are to be sold, and where they lie, which notices shall be delivered to the Sheriff in order to be fixed upon in the most public places of the County of Adams, at least ten days before sale, and the said Sheriff is hereby required to make publication accordingly, and that publication of the same be made in the Adams Centinel at least ten days before the said sale.
8. Vol. B page 466. Court accepts sale of Henry Beecher's land to John Counover on 13 Jan 1823 in Cumberland Twp., Adams, PA. Came into Court William Counover and Garret Counover Administrators of the estate of Henry Beecher late of Cumberland township Adams County decd. and made report to the Court in the words following to wit, That in pursuance of the within Order we did after due and public Notice agreeably to the directions of the within Order expose the plantation or tract of land with the premises within mentioned to public Sale on the premises, on the twenty first day of December A. D. eighteen hundred and twenty two, and sold the same unto John Counover of the County and State aforesaid, for the sum of twenty one dollars and fifty cents per acre, payable one thousand dollars on the first day of April next and the residue in annual payments of One hundred sixty dollars each, the first whereof to be paid on the first day of April A. D. eighteen hundred and twenty four, and so on annually until the whole is paid, he being the highest and best bidder, and the highest and best price bidden for the same.
9. Newspaper: Adams Sentinel: Notice that Henry Beecher estate confirmation set for 26 Dec 1827 in Orphan's Court, 19 Dec 1827, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 12 Notice is Hereby Given
10. Vol. D. page 1. Final account of the administrators of Henry Beecher's will on 26 Dec 1827 in Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 13 At an Orphan's Court held at Gettysburg for the County of Adams on the twenty-sixth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty seven -- Before Daniel Sheffer & William McClean Esquires & Judges.
Henry married Letty Cownover, daughter of John Cownover and Caty Covert. (Letty Cownover was born on 17 Jul 1792 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA 14, christened on 19 Aug 1792 in Straban Township: Conewago Dutch Reformed Church, Adams, PA, USA,15 died on 2 Jan 1863 in Mount Joy Twp., Adams, PA 14 and was buried in Gettysburg: Pine Bank Cemetery, Adams, PA 14.)
2 Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
3 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania.
4 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149231306.
5 (Frederick, MD).
6 , 26 Jan 1897, page 8. Obituary of William Beecher.
7 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Cumberland Township, Series: M33 Roll: 96 Page: 15.
8 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), Adams > Will Index 1800-1864. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28696-50133-87?cc=1999196&wc=9PMZ-VZS:268495201,277601701.
9 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28695-27110-90?cc=1999196&wc=M99F-4SX:n2072520744 Adams > Orphans' Court records 1800-1827 vol. A-C > image 501 of 746.
10 , Will Reel 144 pg. 359.
11 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28695-27325-95?cc=1999196&wc=M99F-4SX:n2072520744 Adams > Orphans' Court records 1800-1827 vol. A-C > image 505 of 746. Vol. B page 461.
12 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, 19 Dec 1827, page 4.
13 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), Adams > Orphan's court records 1827-1853 Vol D-G. Image 26 of 1061. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28697-16911-74?cc=1999196&wc=9PMZ-K68:268495201,277476801.
14 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79694744.
15 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2VV-6ZW Leenah Couenhoven, 19 Aug 1792; Christening, Conewago Dutch Reformed Church, FHL microfilm 20,338.