Samuel Beecher 1 2 3 4 5 6
Other names for Samuel were Samuel Beaher,9 Samuel Beeker, Samuel Boucher, Samuel Bücher,10 11 Samuel Buecher,12 Samuel Buger and Samuel Büger.8
FamilySearch ID: LDMX-XNP.
Event Description: Death noticed in the Baltimore Patriot newspaper
Noted events in his life were:
1. Alt. Name: Original surname Bücher with umlaut above u pronounced as Beecher which became the surname used by descendants, in 1767,.
2. Property in 1783 in Germany Twp., York, PA. 13 Samuel Beeher & Barbara of Petersburg, Germany Twp. sold land to Michael Depert. N side of King St. / W bounded by Lot #48 / N by land of Mathias Baker / E by 16' alley / Known on plat as 49 & 50.
3. Census in 1790 in Berwick/Cumberland, York County, PA. 14 Samuel Beeher is listed with 1 white male over 16, 0 white males under 16, and 1 white female.
4. In 1791 in Littlestown: Christ Reformed Church, Adams, PA. Samuel appears in church records for the baptisms of his children.
5. Tax List: Henry, Samuel, and William Beecher appear on 1793 enumeration list for Germany Townshp, York (now Adams) county, 1793, Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 5
6. Tax List: Samj. Beecher appeared as Wintrott's Hiers on 1798 tax list., 1798, Germany Twp., York, PA. 15 126. Sam Beecher, Winrott's Hiers, 1 dwelling house, 20 x 25 feet, construction: log, 1 story, 3 windows, 12 lights, 2 acres, adjoining Jas. McSherry. Assessed 275. On same property: Widow Winrott. Wintrott's Hiers, 1 dwelling house, 20 x 30 feet, construction log, 1 story, 4 windows, 12 lights, 2 acres.
7. He appeared as a sponsor at a baptism on 24 Nov 1798 at Littlestown: St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Adams, PA. Samuel Bücher and Barbara were sponsors for the baptism of Samuel Rek [Reck], son of Christian and Sophia, b. Sep 28 1798. 16 17
8. Tax List: History of Adams County, 1799, Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 18 In the History of Adams County book appears the tax assessment list for Germany Township for 1799. Included on the list:
9. Census in 1800 in Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 9 Several related families appear on the same Census page in 1800 in Germany Township.
10. Newspaper: Adams Sentinel: Samuel Beecher mentioned as a deputy in the Federal Party, 16 Sep 1807, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 19 IN pursuance of Public Notice, the Deputies from the several townships in the county of Adams met, at the Court house in the borough of Gettysburg, on Monday the 21st of September, 1807, in order to fix upon and recommend suitable persons to be run at the ensuing election - John Morrow was appointed Chairman, and John McConaughy Secretary of the meeting - and, having taken the matter into consideration, do recommend the following persons to their fellow citizens, for their support at the next general election, as men well qualified to service in the several offices.
11. Census in 1810 in Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 10 Living in the household of Samuel Beecher:
12. Census in 1820 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 20 In 1820 the William Beacher household had:
13. Newspaper: Torch Light: "DIED Yesterday afternoon, at an advanced age, Mr. Samuel Beecher, merchant, a respectable and worthy citizen of this place.", 9 Oct 1821, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 21
14. Newspaper: Baltiomore Patriot: "DIED At Hagerstown, Mr. Samuel Beecher, merchant, at an advanced age.", 12 Oct 1821, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD. 22
15. When Samuel died without a will, Washington Co. MD bound Jacob Beecher, Samuel Eckleberger and Frederick Rohaer for $5000, as administrator's of Samuel's probate, the bonded sum to be voided when they submitted the estate accounts. on 17 Oct 1821 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 23
16. Court gave Jacob Beecher, administrator, permission to sell Samuel Beecher's merchandise inventory on 6 Nov 1821 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 24 On application of Jacob Beecher Administrator of Samuel Beecher, It is ordered by the Court that he sell at private sale all the merchandise returned in an Inventory to this Court if practicable, if not then at Public Sale with the rest of the property contained in said Inventory on a credit of six months and that he give three weeks notice thereof, He is also permitted to sell at private sale a Negro Gril for not less than the Appraised Value.
17. Newspaper: The Torch Light: Estate notice for Samuel Beecher, 13 Nov 1821, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 25 PUBLIC SALE
18. Hagerstown Torch Light newspaper: William Beecher's notice to settle accounts for deceased Samuel Beecher on 2 Jul 1822 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 26 Notice
19. Jacob Beecher filed his 1st account of the estate of deceased father Samuel Beecher. List online at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYMK-NPF?i=124&wc=SNY8-K6D%3A146536101%2C146584001%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 on 3 Nov 1823 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 27
20. Newspaper: The Torch Light: "Notice. I have appointed Mr. John H. Fechtig my Agent, and hereby authorise him to settle all accounts relating to the estate of the late Samuel Beecher, deceased, during my absence. Jacob Beecher, Adm'r.", 4 Nov 1823, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 28
21. Jacob Beecher filed his 2nd account of the estate of deceased father Samuel Beecher. List online at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYMK-NPF?i=124&wc=SNY8-K6D%3A146536101%2C146584001%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 on 1 Jun 1825 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 29
22. Newspaper: 18 Jan 1854, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 30 Hagerstown Herald Freedom & Torch Light newspaper, 18 Jan 1854, Page 3 column B:
23. Evidence: 4 historic Geburt and Taufschein fracturs for Samuel Beecher's family, 1972, Charleston, Charleston, SC. 8 Proof of Samuel's family history is preserved in four historic Geburt and Taufschein fracturs, a PA Dutch tradition of hand painting commemorative papers to celebrate a birth, death or other occassion. The following letter written in 1972 and on file at the Adams County Historical Society describes them. The author mentions surname "Büger" but probably wasn't aware than in 1700's German handwriting a "ch" combination appears like a "g":
Samuel married Barbara Winterode, daughter of Johann Jacob Winteroth Sr. and Anna Maria Barbara Mayer. (Barbara Winterode was born on 13 Nov 1771 in Frederick, Frederick, MD 31, christened on 8 Mar 1772 in Frederick: Evangelical Reformed Church, Frederick, MD 31 and died on 7 Jun 1851 in Wellersburg, Somerset, PA 32.)
1 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, International Genealogical Index (R) (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of November 17, 2005).
4 Scharf, J. Thomas, History of Western Maryland; being a history of Frederick, Montgomery, Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties from the earliest period to the present day; including biographical sketches of their representative men (Regional Pub. Co., 1968. Reprint of the 1882 ed. 2 volumes (1560 p.)), Page 1094.
5 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Septennial Census, 1779-1863 (Septennial Census Returns, 1779–1863. Box 1026, microfilm, 14 rolls. Records of the House of Representatives. Records of the General Assembly, Record Group 7. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, PA.), York, 1793, image 42 of 69, Henry Beecher, William Beecher, Samuel Beecher.
6 (Chicago. Waterman, Watkins & Co. 1884.), Page 584, bio of S. C. Fechtig M.D.
7 , Date: 1821-10-12; Vol: XVIII; Iss: 87; Page: 3.
(On file at the Adams County Historical Society, Gettysburg, Adams County, PA.
Mar 11 1972 letter from Craig M. Bennett, 31 Meeting St, Charleston Sc 29401, to Vice Admiral William Gordon Beecher of Alexandria, VA, describing the antique hand-painted fracturs cica 1800 proving birth of Samuel to father Henry Büger in possession of Craig, a descendent.
http://www.emmitsburg.net/achs/), March 11, 1972.
9 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Germany Township, Series: M32 Roll: 35 Page: 515.
10 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Germany Township, Series: M252 Roll: 44 Page: 62.
11 (Frederick, MD).
12 William J. Hinke, Church Record of The Conewago Or Christ Church Congregation Near Littlestown Adams County Pennsylvania 1747-1871 (Online https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE2130818&from=fhd in FamilySearch.org Books), Page 26.
13 , Deed Book 2M-59.
14 , Pennsylvania, York County, Berwick/Cumberland Townships, Series: M637 Roll: 9 Page: 464.
15 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S. Direct Tax Lists, 1798 (United States Direct Tax of 1798: Tax Lists for the State of Pennsylvania. M372, microfilm, 24 rolls. Records of the Internal Revenue Service, 1791-2006, Record Group 58. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.), York County, Germany Township, Sam. Beecher, online image 121.
16 St. John's Lutheran Church, Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
17 (Family Line Publications, Westminister, MD 21157. No year.), Page 183.
18 (Warren, Beers & Co; Chicago, IL; 1886), Pages 262-271.
19 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, 16 Sep 1807, page 6.
20 , Maryland, Washington County, Hagerstown, Series: M33 Roll: 46 Page: 110-111.
21 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 9 Oct 1821, death notice of Samuel Beecher.
22 , 12 Oct 1821, page 3. Death of Samuel Beecher.
23 FamilySearch.org, Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999 (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYM6-53D?i=33&wc=SNYZ-PTG%3A146536101%2C146726701%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Administration bonds 1821-1827 vol C page 59, Samuel Beecher.
24 FamilySearch.org, Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999 (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-893Z-CQZP?i=195&wc=SNYV-168%3A146536101%2C149214901%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Minutes and proceedings 1806-1833 Vol 1806. Page 118 Jacob Beecher.
25 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 13 Nov 1821, page 4.
26 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 2 Jul 1822, page 1. Estate Notice by William Beecher, agent.
27 FamilySearch.org, Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999 (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYMK-NPF?i=124&wc=SNY8-K6D%3A146536101%2C146584001%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Administration accounts 1820-1824 vol 6 page 248. Jacob Beecher, adm. of Samuel Beecher 6 Nov 1823.
28 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 4 Nov 1823, page 4.
29 FamilySearch.org, Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999 (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YMK-VWP?i=57&wc=SNY8-K6F%3A146536101%2C146594001%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Administration accounts 1825-1827 vol 7 page 83. Jacob Beecher, adm. of Samuel Beecher 1 Jun 1825.
30 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Copies may be ordered online through the Washington County Library Newspaper Archive.), 18 Jan 1854, Page 3 column B, Trustees Sale of land of Samuel Beecher.
31 Fogel, Patricia A, Baptisms of Evangelical Reformed Church in Frederick, MD (This book is from translations by Wm. Hinke in 1941.), Page 26.
32 , 11 Jun 1851, Page 3 A. Copy available from Washington County, MD library newspaper archives.
Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List
This website was created 21 May 2023 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by email@example.com