|Rev. Jacob Beecher
Another name for Jacob was Rev. Jacob Bucher.
The inscription on his tombstone:
Noted events in his life were:
1. Occupation: minister with the Reformed Church in Martinsburg, Berkeley, WV. 1
2. Occupation: minister with the Reformed Church in Shepherdstown, Jefferson, WV. 1
3. He has conflicting birth information of 2 May 1799 and Littlestown, Adams, PA. 5
4. Census in 1800 in Germany Twp., Adams, PA. 6 Several related families appear on the same Census page in 1800 in Germany Township.
5. Probate: When Samuel died without a will, Washington Co. MD bound Jacob Beecher, Samuel Eckleberger and Frederick Rohaer for $5000, as administrator's of Samuel's probate, the bonded sum to be voided when they submitted the estate accounts., on 17 Oct 1821, in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 7 7
6. Newspaper: The Torch Light: "Notice. I have appointed Mr. John H. Fechtig my Agent, and hereby authorise him to settle all accounts relating to the estate of the late Samuel Beecher, deceased, during my absence. Jacob Beecher, Adm'r.", 4 Nov 1823, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 8
7. Court gave Jacob Beecher, administrator, permission to sell Samuel Beecher's merchandise inventory on 6 Nov 1821 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 9 On application of Jacob Beecher Administrator of Samuel Beecher, It is ordered by the Court that he sell at private sale all the merchandise returned in an Inventory to this Court if practicable, if not then at Public Sale with the rest of the property contained in said Inventory on a credit of six months and that he give three weeks notice thereof, He is also permitted to sell at private sale a Negro Gril for not less than the Appraised Value.
8. Newspaper: United States Gazette: MARRIED. On Wednesday evening, the 16th instant, by the Rev. Dr. Ely, JACOB BEECHER, of Sheppards Town, Virginia, to Miss HANNAH MITCHELL, daughter of Mr. Jacob Mitchell, of this city., 22 May 1827, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 2
9. Evidence: 1828. 1 An oil portrait of the Reverend Jacob Beecher, painted by Edmund Brewster in 1828 is owned by Craig M. Bennett, Charleston, S.C.
10. Jacob Beecher filed his 2nd account of the estate of deceased father Samuel Beecher. List online at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYMK-NPF?i=124&wc=SNY8-K6D%3A146536101%2C146584001%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 on 1 Jun 1825 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 10
11. He has conflicting death information of 14 Jul 1831 and Shepherdstown, Jefferson, WV. 11
12. Newspaper: 28 Jul 1831, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 11 DIED, On Thursday night 14th inst. At his residence in Shepherdstown, VA. [now West Virginia] The Rev. Jacob Beecher, formerly a resident of Hagerstown.
13. Newspaper: Baltimore Patriot: Died: On the 15th inst. At his residence, Shepherdstown, Va. Rev. Jacob Beecher, Pastor of the German Reformed Church in that place., 21 Jul 1831, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD. 3
14. Newspaper: 21 Jan 1852, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 12 From Hagerstown Herald of Freedom and Torch Light newspaper, 21 Jan 1852, page 3 column E:
15. Book: History of Western Maryland, 1882. 13
16. Book: 1889. 5
Jacob married Hannah Mitchell, daughter of Jacob Duche Mitchell and Rebecca Burden, on 10 May 1827 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA.1 2 (Hannah Mitchell was born on 22 Aug 1802 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA,14 died on 23 Aug 1888 in Cape May Point, Cape May, NJ, USA 15 16 and was buried on 28 Aug 1888 in Philadelphia: Woodlands Cemetery, Philadelphia, PA 15 16 17.)
<i>Letter from Craig Bennett</i> (On file at the Adams County Historical Society, Gettysburg, Adams County, PA.
Mar 11 1972 letter from Craig M. Bennett, 31 Meeting St, Charleston Sc 29401, to Vice Admiral William Gordon Beecher of Alexandria, VA, describing the antique hand-painted fracturs cica 1800 proving birth of Samuel to father Henry Büger in possession of Craig, a descendent.
http://www.emmitsburg.net/achs/), March 11, 1972.
2 <i>The Valley Sentinel (Shippensburg, PA)</i>, 22 May 1827, page 4. Marriage of Jacob Beecher and Hannah Mitchell.
3 <i>Baltimore Patriot Newspaper, Baltimore, Maryland</i>, 21 Jul 1831, page 3. Death of Rev. Jacob Beecher.
4 <i>Find A Grave</i>, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40690099.
5 Ancestry.com, <i>U.S., College Student Lists, 1763-1924</i>, 1889. Biographical and Historical Catalogue of Washington and Jefferson College. Printed page 32, online image 32.
6 <i>1800 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Adams County, Germany Township, Series: M32 Roll: 35 Page: 515.
7 FamilySearch.org, <i>Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999</i> (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYM6-53D?i=33&wc=SNYZ-PTG%3A146536101%2C146726701%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Administration bonds 1821-1827 vol C page 59, Samuel Beecher.
8 <i>The Torch Light, Hagerstown, Maryland</i> (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 4 Nov 1823, page 4.
9 FamilySearch.org, <i>Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999</i> (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-893Z-CQZP?i=195&wc=SNYV-168%3A146536101%2C149214901%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Minutes and proceedings 1806-1833 Vol 1806. Page 118 Jacob Beecher.
10 FamilySearch.org, <i>Maryland Register of Wills Records, 1629-1999</i> (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986 are online document images), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YMK-VWP?i=57&wc=SNY8-K6F%3A146536101%2C146594001%3Fcc%3D1803986&cc=1803986 Administration accounts 1825-1827 vol 7 page 83. Jacob Beecher, adm. of Samuel Beecher 1 Jun 1825.
11 <i>The Torch Light, Hagerstown, Maryland</i> (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 28 Jul 1831.
12 <i>Herald of Freedom & Torch Light Newspaper</i> (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Copies may be ordered online through the Washington County Library Newspaper Archive.), 21 Jan 1852, page 3 column E:.
13 Scharf, J. Thomas, <i>History of Western Maryland; being a history of Frederick, Montgomery, Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties from the earliest period to the present day; including biographical sketches of their representative men</i> (Regional Pub. Co., 1968. Reprint of the 1882 ed. 2 volumes (1560 p.)), Vol. 2, Page 1269.
14 <i>1850 United States Census</i>, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia County, Philadelphia Dock Ward, Series: M432 Roll: 817 Page: 499.
15 FamilySearch.org, <i>Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915</i> (From originals housed at the Philadelphia City Archives. "Death Records."), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFH5-GJD Hannah B. Gildersleeve, 23 Aug 1888; citing , Philadelphia City Archives and Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; FHL microfilm 2,079,267.
16 <i>Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA)</i>, 28 Aug 1888, page 5. Obituary and funeral of Mrs. Hannah B. Gildersleeve.
17 <i>Wilkes-Barre Evening News (Wilkes-Barre, PA)</i>, 25 Aug 1888, page 4. Death of Mrs. Hannah Beecher Gildersleeve.