FamilySearch ID: K8NM-NGJ.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1850 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 15 In 1850 living in the South Ward of Pottsville is Jacob Bieger. Obviously the census taker was confused by his German pronounciation of his surname! Jacob Bieger, tailer, age 36, is living with wife Angeline, 35; William, 12; Jacob, 11; Hiram, 8; Benjamin, 6; George, 3; and Nathan, 8 months old when the census was recorded on 29 Aug 1850. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
2. Census in 1860 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 16 In 1860 living in the New Castle Township is Jacob Bucher, day laborer, age 48, living with wife Angeline, 45; William, day laborer, 21; Jacob, day laborer, 19; Hiram, day laborer, 17; B. Franklin, day laborer, 15; George, 12; and Nathan, 9; and Ann M., 7. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Broad Mountain.
3. Census in 1870 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 17 Angelina Becker [sic], 55, is listed as the head of the household. Living with her: William, 31; Heiram [sic], 28; Benjamin, 26; George, 24; Nathan, 20; and Mary, 18. The men are all employed as miners. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Shenandosh.
4. Fact: Hiram and George Beacher were ordered to testify in a investigation of election fraud in a U.S. Congress race, 7 Mar 1877, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 18 The United States of America
5. Census in 1880 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 13 Hiram Becher, coal miner, 38, was married to wife Henrietta, 31. Living with them: Lilly May, 12; Sarah Jane, 10; Edith, 7; and Willie, 5. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
6. Residence: in 1881 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 19 Beacher, Benjamin F., miner, h. W. Centre n Main
7. Residence: on 31 Aug 1894 in Mahanoy City, Schuylkill, PA. 20
8. Census in 1900 in Mount Carmel Twp., Northumberland, PA. 1 Hiram Beecher (age 57, born Jul 1843) is listed in the 1900 Census as a household head living on the west side of Oak Street in Mount Carmel Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. His wife is listed as Etta (51, born Sep 1848). Living with them is son Wilhelm J. (24, born May, 1876). Both father and son are employed as coal miners. Henrietta is listed as having given birth to 4 children, all of whom were living in 1900. Living in the same building as a boarder is Sadie Beecher, his daughter, born Feb 1874 and single, occupation servant, in the household of Lewis Hilbert and his wife, Edith (Hiram's daughter.).
9. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Daily News: "Mesdames Wm. Blue and Hiram Beecher and Misses Ruth Hilbert and Sallie Beecher attended teh funeral of a relative in Shenandoah today., 26 Apr 1905, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 21
10. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Daily News: "Sure Sign of Spring: William Blue, of 16 east Avenue, and Hiram Beecher, of 1 south Chestnut street, took a walk up the Ashland road this morning where they came across and killed a copperhead snake about three feet in length.", 13 Apr 1906, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 22
11. Newspaper: The Daily News: Visitor Dies of Typhoid Fever, 22 Oct 1907, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 23 Arthur Lindemtuh, of Mahanoy City, 17 years old, son of Elias Lindemuth, of that place, died at the home of Hiram Beecher on east Seventh street at about two o'clock this morning, after an illness lasting since the 29th of last month.
12. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: Miner's Eyes Blown Out, 3 Jun 1908, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 24 Miner's Eyes Blown Out
13. Newspaper: Republican and Herald: Mt. Carmel Men's Sight In Danger, 4 Jun 1908, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 25 Hiram Beacher, aged 66, and Wilson Blue, aged 38 years, his son-in-law, met with a fearful accident in the Skidmore vein of the REliance colliery, at Mt. Carmel.
14. Newspaper: The Daily News: Hiram Beecher In Serious Condition, 4 Jun 1908, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 26 A telephone inquiry to the Miners' hospital at Fountain Springs this afternoon elicited the information that the condition of Hiram Beecher, who was injured in a premature explosion at the Reliance colliery yesterday, is very serious and he may not recover.
15. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: Beecher Will Lose Both Eyes, 5 Jun 1908, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 27 Hiram Beecher, the well known miner who was so terribly injured in the Reliance mines by a premature blast, will lose the sight of both eyes. This opinion was expressed by the Fountain Springs authorities when Mr. Beecher was taken there, and the examination made today shows no improvement. However, it is not likley that he will lose his life. His son-in-law, Wilson Blew, who was injured by the same explosion, is recovering nicely, and will retain the sight of his eye.
16. Occupation: miner and was mentioned in a report on mine accidents. on 5 Jun 1908 in , Northumberland, PA. 5 June 1908 Beecher, Hiram- English, Miner, 64, M, Reliance Mine, Eyesight destroyed. He was pushing a cartridge of powder into a hole with an iron drill, when it exploded.
17. Newspaper: Republican and Herald: May Save His Sight, 9 Jun 1908, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 28 Hiram Beacher, of Mt. Carmel, who was severely burned by an explosion of gas, at the Reliance colliery, at Mt. Carmel, last week is reported in a more favorable condition. It is thought now that the sight of Mr. Beacher's eyes is not totally destroyed. His son-in-law, Wilson Blue, is also getting along nicely.
18. Newspaper: Daily News: "Mr. Beecher Home. Jacob Bicher, the miner who had his eyes blown out several weeks ago, was brought home from the hospital last evening on account of the death of his wife. After the funeral, Mr. Beecher will return to the hospital.", 31 Jul 1908, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 29
19. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: Ad: FOR SALE CHEAP -- A corner lot and property. Apply at 304 east Seventh street. H. Beecher, 28 Feb 1910, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 30
20. Newspaper: Daily News: "For Sale Household furnishings, in good condition, apply to Hiram Beecher, 304 E. Seventh St.", 5 Apr 1910, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 31
21. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: "A party of twelve consisting of Harry Blue, William Beecher, wife and family and H. Beecher left this morning on the Reading for Tulare, Cal. The party will go into the homestead territory and stake up a tract of land they will farm.", 14 Apr 1910, Mount Carmel Twp., Northumberland, PA. 32
22. Census on 4 May 1910 in Tulare, Tulare, CA. 33 Renting at 373 King St: William J. Beecher, 33, was married for 9 years to wife Emma, 26. She had given birth to 7 children, 6 alive in 1910. Living with them: Edith, 8; Anne, 7; Willie, 6; Arthur, 5; May, 3; John, 2; and William's father, Hiram, 68, widowed. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. No one had an occupation.
23. Residence: Hiram Beacher, Republican, Visalia, Coal Miner, is listed in the voter registration for Willow Precinct in 1916 in Visalia, Tulare, CA. 34
24. Census in 1920 in Visalia, Tulare, CA. 35 Hiram Beecher, age 76, widowed, is living in his daughter's household in the 1920 Census in Visalia Township, Tulare County, CA. The daughter, Edith, age 46, is married to Lewis Hilbert, 48. Living with them is son Lewis, 16; John S. 14; Elsia, 12; Nellie, 9; James, 8; Marg, 2 months. James and Marg were born in California, and everyone else in Pennsylvania.
25. LifeSketch:,. Hiram Beecher's birth was recorded in his parent's bible as 22 Feb 1842 in Bellefonte, Centre County, PA. He was the son of John Jacob Bicher and Angeline Eisenhuth. His father's original Bicher surname, pronounced like Beacher, was changed to that spelling and is first noted on 28 Sep 1853 when Hiram and his brothers and sister were christened on the same day at Trinity Lutheran Church in Pottsville, PA under surname Beacher. However, in later life, for reasons unknown, Hiram used surname Beecher, unlike his father and siblings who were all buried as Beachers.
26. Death Certificate: Tulare County death certificate filed as Herman [sic] Beecher, 26 Feb 1923, Visalia, Tulare, CA. 11 Place of Death: dist. 5401, Visalia, Tulare County
27. Obituary: Visalia Daily Times: obituary of Hiram Beecher on 27 Feb 1923 in Visalia, Tulare, CA. 9 -----
28. Obituary: Visalia Times-Delta: obituary of Hiram Beecher on 27 Feb 1923 in Visalia, Tulare, CA. 8 -----
29. Book: History of the Beacher Family, 1970. 12
Hiram married Henrietta Jacobs, daughter of William James Jacobs Sr. and Mary Ann Hough, in 1867 in , , PA.1 (Henrietta Jacobs was born on 20 Sep 1847 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA,1 13 14 36 37 died on 30 Jul 1908 in Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA 37 38 and was buried on 1 Aug 1908 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA 37.)
1 , Pennsylvania, Northumberland County, Roll 1449 Book 2, Page 98.
2 , Pennsylvania, Northumberland County, Milton Ward 2, Series: T624 Roll: 1383 Page: 251.
3 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, 1 Mar 1979.
4 California Vital Records, California Death Index record for Lillian Mayflower Lindenmuth.
5 California Vital Records, California Death Index record for Sarah Jane McConnell.
6 (http://www.Ancestry.com. Original from Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records.), Image 36.
7 Ancestry.com, California, Death Index, 1905-1939 (State of California. California Death Index, 1905-1939. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.), 1905-1929, Surnames A-E, printed page 707, online image 180, Beecher Hiram.
8 , 27 Feb 1923, page 2. Obituary of Hiram Beecher.
9 , 27 Feb 1923, page 6. Obituary of Hiram Beecher.
10 California Vital Records, California Death Index, 1905-1929. His File is 10149.
11 (California Death Certificate), Death Certificate in Tulare County for Herman [sic] Beecher, d. 26 Feb 1923.
12 Miller, Hazel Horrox and Horn, Ruth Beacher, History of the Beacher Family (1970, typewritten pages, self published.).
13 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255192; National Archives Film T9-1192; Page 501A.
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Dept. of Health, Pennsylvania Birth Certificate (http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=168&Q=229939
Pennsylvania Division of Vital Records
101 South Mercer Street
PO Box 1528
New Castle, PA 16101
(724) 656-3100), Delayed birth certificate of William Jacob Beecher Sr. (1876-1951) applied for on 17 Aug 1942.
15 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Pottsville South Ward, Series: M432 Roll: 827 Page: 388.
16 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1178 Page: 349.
17 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah, Series M593, Roll 1450, Page 597.
18 U. S. Government Printing Office, Congressional Series of United States Public Documents (Washington, D.C. 1877), Page 1182. http://books.google.com/books?id=FFNHAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22wm.%20jacobs%22%20%22schuylkill%20county%22%20shenandoah&pg=PA1182#v=onepage&q=beacher&f=false.
19 W. Harry Boyd, Boyd's Directory of Pottsville, Shenandoah, Ashland and Tamaqua (Pottsville, Penna.), 1881, page 331.
20 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMC5-QQ8 Lewis Jay Hilbert and Edith Beacher, 03 Sep 1894; citing , Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, United States; FHL microfilm 2131180.
21 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 26 Apr 1905, page 4.
22 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 13 Apr 1906, page 1.
23 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 22 Oct 1907, page 1. Visitor Dies of Typhoid Fever.
24 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 3 Jun 1908, page 1.
25 (www.republicanherald.com), 4 Jun 1908, page 1. Hiram Beacher Injured In Mine Accident.
26 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 4 Jun 1908, page 1.
27 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 5 Jun 1908, page 1.
28 (www.republicanherald.com), 9 Jun 1908, page 1. May Save His Sight.
29 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 31 Jul 1908, page 1. Mr. Beecher Home.
30 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 28 Feb 1910, page 4.
31 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 5 Apr 1910, page 4.
32 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 14 Apr 1910, page 1. To California.
33 , California, Tulare County, Tulare Ward 2, Series: T624 Roll: 111 Page: 92.
34 Ancestry.com, California, U.S., Voter Registrations, 1900-1968 (Original data: State of California, United States. Great Register of Voters. Sacramento, California: California State Library.), Willow Precinct, online image 173.
35 , California, Tulare County, Visalia Township, Roll 153 Book 1, Page 181.
36 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Roll: M432_827; Page: 167; Image: 274.
37 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 66899. Henrietta Beacher, b. 20 Sep 1847, d. 30 Jul 1908. Parents Wm Jacobs and Mary Huth.
38 Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Dept. of Health, Pennsylvania Death Certificate (Pennsylvania Division of Vital Records, New Castle, PA 16101 (724) 656-3100 http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=168&Q=229939), Pennsylvania Death Certificate 66899.