|John Peter Herr Sr.
Another name for John was Johan Peter Herr.6
FamilySearch ID: MTTY-D6R.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He served in the military in Aug 1781 in , , VA. 7 Johan Peter Herr came to America as a mercenary Hessian solider employed as part of British General Cornwallis' army. He was in the Hesse-Kassel Regiment - Erbprinz. He deserted the army by August, 1781 and removed to Hagerstown, today's Washington County, Maryland, then Frederick County. The church records at Hagerstown show the baptisms of John Peter Herr's children with his wife, Susanna.
2. Military from Sep 1781 to 1782 in , Lancaster, PA: The Franklin County DAR publication states John Herr served in the Lancaster County Militia. 1 JOHN HERR Is shown in service under Capt. Thos. Robinson 1781-82, Lancaster County Militia. He was b. 1757, d. 1845; his wife Susan, b. 1762, d. 1841. They had a son Peter, b. 1799, d. 1848; a son Conrad, d. 1857, aged 59 yrs. The Baptismal Record of Zion's Reformed Church, Greencastle, Penna., shows the birth and baptisms in 1821, of George Isaiah Herr, for Daniel and Sarah Herr. They had a son John Herr, b. and baptized in 1823. A dau. Margaret Ann, baptized June, 1825. Conrad and Catherine Herr had Henrietta, b. July 3, 1821; Eleanor, b. Apr. 10, 1824; Elizabeth, b. May 11, 1826; Sara Jane, b. Feb. 1, 1828. The name continues on the church membership list. Hetty or Henrietta Herr (Harr) confirmed in 1841. Penna. Arch. 5th Ser. Vol. 7, p. 688, 701, 725, 741, 758, 777, 785.
3. Census in 1790 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. The 1790 census recorded John Herr with this household:
4. He was naturalized in 1797 in , Frederick, MD. 8
5. Census in 1800 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 9 The 1800 census recorded John L. Herr [sic, indexed wrong, handwriting is actually John P. Herr]
6. Census in 1810 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 10 The 1810 census recorded:
7. Arrival: 1818, in Lancaster, Fairfield, OH. 11
8. Census in 1820 in Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 12 The 1820 Census recorded:
9. Newspaper: The Torch Light: lawsuit of John P. Herr, 29 Jan 1822, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 13 Sheriff's Sales.
10. Newspaper: The Torch Light: William Fields, SADDLER, Respectfully informs the inhabitants of Hagers town and its vicinity, that he has commenced the Saddle and Harness Making Business, In the house lately occupied by John P. Herr n East Washington street Hagers-town, 2 Apr 1822, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 14
11. Census in 1830 in Lancaster, Fairfield, OH. 15 The 1830 census recorded John P. Herr with this household:
12. Newspaper: The Torch Light: Fires destroys stables of John P. Herr, 29 May 1830, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 16 Fire! About 11 o'clock on Monday night last, our citizens were aroused from their slumbers by the cry of fire; and, notwithstanding they promptly repaired to their posts, nearly the whole range of stables on the east side of the Globe alley as well as the Globe stable, were enveloped in one sheet of flame, before the Engines and Hose could be brought to operate. This is the eighth attempt that has recently been made to fire the Town, and the third that has been confined to this range of buildings; and in consequence of the late hour at which it was made, has proved the most successful -- eight stables and two sheds having been consumed. The properly destroyed consisted of the stables and sheds attached to the Globe tavern and Lambert's hotel, the two stables on Mr. John P. Herr's lot, Mr. Arthur Johnston's stable, those of Capt. Quantrill, and the heirs of Geo. Hammer, and Mr. F. Miller's stable.
13. John P. Herr and Susan Herr are listed as members of the German Reformed church in 1834, likely the year they arrived. in 1834 in Greencastle, Franklin, PA. 17 German Reformed Church Membership roster from 1818 to 1864. (It appears it shows the year member joined, as members only listed once.)
14. Census in 1840 in Greencastle, Franklin, PA. 18 The 1840 census recorded J. B. Harr [sic, as indexed on FamilySearch.org] with this household:
15. Tombstone: Section 4H Plot 2, 26 May 1845, Greencastle, Franklin, PA. 3 19 Jack Webb, an historian and caretaker of the German Reformed Cemetery in Greencastle, reports the following graves:
16. John P. Herr died intestate - no will. The court appointed Conrad Herr to administer the estate. on 22 Jul 1845 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA. 20 From Franklin County Administration Record Index 1700-1960 A-H:
17. Franklin County Orphan's Court Documents in Mar 1848 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA. 21 Volume F, page 19.
18. Franklin County Orphans' Court Dockets, Book F Page 97, John P. Herr on 15 Jan 1849 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA. 22 Book F Page 97
19. Newspaper: Herald of Freedom: Legal Notice of Herr Estate Dispute, 17 Oct 1849, Hagerstown, Washington, MD. 5 Legal Notice published on 17 Oct 1849 in the newspaper Herald of Freedom, Hagerstown, MD:
John married Susannah Weiss. (Susannah Weiss was born on 13 Dec 1762,1 23 died on 14 Mar 1841 in Greencastle, Franklin, PA 1 23 and was buried in Greencastle: German Reformed Cemetery, Franklin, Pennsylvania, United States 1 23.)
1 Fendick, Virginia Shannon, American Revolutionary Soliders of Franklin County Pennsylvania (Franklin County Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Chambersburg, Penna. 1944.), Page 257, John Herr.
2 Mabel McAtee Huyett, The Herr Family (Notebook with transcription of bible of John Peter Herr (1789-1855) and genealogy of his descendants including old photographs, created by descendant Mabel McAfee Huyett, in a storage room off Western Maryland Room at Washington County Free Library, Hagerstown, Maryland, call # WMR 929.2 H).
3 , Email received 20 Aug 2018.
4 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/176700341.
5 , 17 Oct 1849. Page 3, Column 3.
6 , FHL US/CAN Film 14145 Item 1 Church records of Zion United Church of Christ, 1766-1807 [Hagerstown, Maryland].
7 Nancy Rice Kiddoo, Of Revolutionary Memory: German Mercenaries who Immigrated to Western Maryland (Der Reggeboge, The Rainbow, Journal of the Pennsylvania German Society, Volume 23, p. 43-80.).
8 CLARK, RAYMOND B., JR, Frederick County, Maryland, Naturalizations, 1785-1799 (In The Maryland & Delaware Genealogist. Corrections and additions, vol. 10:1 (Jan. 1969), p. 19.).
9 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHRC-JMR John L Herr, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland, United States; citing p. 97.
10 , Year: 1810; Census Place: Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland; Roll: 16; Page: 530; Image: 0193669; Family History Library Film: 00240.
11 (Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio), 29 Mar 1897, obituary of William Herr.
12 , 1820 U S Census; Census Place: Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland; Page: 256; NARA Roll: M33_46; Image: 115.
13 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 29 Jan 1822, page 1.
14 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 2 Apr 1822, page 4.
15 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XH5L-P9N John P Herr, Lancaster, Fairfield, Ohio, United States; citing 203, NARA microfilm publication M19, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 130; FHL microfilm 337,941.
16 (Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Published 1851 to 1863.), 29 May 1830, page 1.
17 (Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania, United States), https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/249949 Zion German Reformed Church and East Conococheague Church Records, 1818-1864, Family HIstory Library Microfilm 382822.
18 , https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHRT-6H3 J B Harr, Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania, United States; citing p. 163.
19 John F. W. Pflueger, Tombstone Inscriptions of Franklin County, Pennsylvania (Chambersburg, Pa., Petticoat Press, 1985. 24 vols.), Vol. 5, Greencastle Cemeteries: German Reformed Cemetery.
20 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L991-M47X?i=479&wc=9PMD-16L%3A268496901%2C268559001&cc=1999196 Franklin County Administration record index 1700-1960 A-H.
21 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-899B-2VFG?i=320&wc=9PM8-VZ7%3A268496901%2C271007201&cc=1999196 Pennsylvania > Franklin County > Orphan's Court Dockets Vol. F Page 19. John P. Herr.
22 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G99B-2VLX?i=359&wc=9PM8-VZ7%3A268496901%2C271007201&cc=1999196 Pennsylvania > Franklin County > Orphans' Court Dockets Book F Page 97 John P. Herr.
23 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/176701219.