|Samuel W. Beecher Sr.
FamilySearch ID: 9KP6-NQR.
Baptism appears in the Personal Register of Reverend Traugott F. Illing. The translation as provided by author F. Edward Wright in his Church Records of the 18th Century volume: "Samuel, of John Bucher and wife Mary, b. 17 Dec 1785; bapt. 17 May 1786. Sponsor: John Geigel."
Noted events in his life were:
1. He has conflicting birth information of 17 Nov 1785 and , Lancaster, PA. 3
2. Newspaper: Lancaster Intelligencer, 20 Jan 1817, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 8 List of Letters
3. Residence: on 20 Jan 1817 in Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA. 8 See 1817 newspaper article on List of Letters at New Holland post office.
4. Residence: Lancaster Intelligencer: List of Letters at New Holland Post Office: Samuel Beecher on 21 Jan 1825 in Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA. 9
5. Census in 1830 in Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA. 10 The household of Samuel Beeker [indexed as Beeker but could be Becker?] was listed with:
6. Samuel Beecher of East Earl Township purchased land in Manheim Township from Andrew and Barbara Clements of Lampeter Township. Lancaster Deed Book Q Vol. 6 Page 160. on 2 Apr 1840 in Manheim Twp., Lancaster, PA. 11
7. Moved: 1843, Manheim Twp., Lancaster, PA. This was mentioned in son William C.'s obituary printed in 1895.
8. Census in 1850 in Manheim Twp., Lancaster, PA. 12 Samuel Beecher, age 62, laborer, has real estate valued at $1,500 in the 1850 Census for Manheim Township, Lancaster County. Living with him is Ellen, 60; Balinda, 28; Samuel Peifer, 8; and William Peifer, 6. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
9. Newspaper: Lancaster Examiner: Samuel Beecher buys Groff business, 18 Aug 1852, Eden, Lancaster, PA, United States. 13 The property of I. W. Groff, dec'd in Eden, with all the machinery, water-power, foundry, dwelling, &c., was sold on the 10th inst., for $10,000. Samuel W. Beecher, Benj. Harnish, and Wm. C. beecher, were the purchasers; all of whom have served as apprenticeship to different branches of the business, at that place. They will commence business immediately, and are well-prepared to execute contracts for all kinds of machinery.
10. Samuel W. Beecher, William C. Beecher, Benjamin W. Harmish purchased from the estate of Israel Groff deceased land in East Lampeter Township containing a factory, machine shop, foundry, two-story house, farm stable on 29 Mar 1853 in East Lampeter Twp., Lancaster, PA. 14
11. Pension in 1854. 15 Following in a copy of a letter from U. S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Pensions, received by Mrs. Harry Kennett McAdams, 309 N. Broadway, Lexington, KY. [Ms. McAdams is a descendent.]
12. Newspaper: Lancaster Examiner: ad to sell estate at Eden Machine Shops of Beecher & Bro., 8 Dec 1858, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 16 -----
13. Newspaper: Lancaster Examiner: Ad by Samuel W. Beecher to sell Swan Tavern in Sadsbury Township, Chester County, 9 Feb 1859, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 17 PUBLIC SALE. ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 59, will be sold at public sale, at the Swan Tavern, in Sadsbury township, Chester county, all the right, title and interest of Samuel W. Beecher, in all that certain property, known as tbe SWAN TAVERN, and the improvements thereon erected, with the tract of land thereto belonging adjoining lands of Jonas Chamberlin, Susanna W. Large, J. F. Paxson, James Williams and Christian O. Woodland, CONTAINING 73 3/4 ACRES, strict measure. Sale to commence at 1 oclock P. M., when attendance will be given and terms made known by the under signed. HENRY H. KURTZ, JAC ESBENSHADE, Assignees of SAM. W. BEECHER.
14. Samuel W. Beecher assigned land to son William C. Beecher on 21 Apr 1859 in East Lampeter Twp., Lancaster, PA. 18
15. Census in 1860 in Manheim Twp., Lancaster, PA. 5 Samuel Beecher, age 74, farmer, is living in the 1860 Census in Manheim Township, Lancaster County, with his real estate valued at $2000 and possessions at $500. With him is wife Eleanor, 72. Also in the home is Balinda Catherine Peifer, widow, 36 with her sons, Samuel Peifer, 18 and William Peifer, 16. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office listed is Oregon.
16. Newspaper: The Daily Evening Express, 25 Jan 1860, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 19 NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC. -- The undersigned, Proprietor of the National House, hereby notifies his friends and the public in general, that he will serve up lunch during the season, every day between the hours of 10 and 12, when and where every attention will be paid to his customers, by Saml. W. Beecher, who has charge of the Bar. GEORGE HORTING, Proprietor.
17. Newspaper: Lancaster Intelligencer, 1 May 1860, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 20 ASSIGNED ESTATE OF BEECHER & BRO. -- The undersigned Auditor, appointed by the Court of Common Pleas of Lancaster County, to distribute the balance of said Assigned Estate in the hands of Henry H. Kurtz, Esq , and Jacob Esbensnade, Assignees of Samuel W. and Wm. C. Beecher, late partners as Beecher & Bro., to and among those legally entitled thereto, hereby gives notice to all persons interested, that he will attend, for the purpose of his appointment, on TUESDAY, the 29th day of MAY, instant, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, at the Library Room in the Court House, Lancaster, when and where all persons interested may attend. W. CARPENTER, Auditor.
18. Newspaper: Lancaster Intelligencer, 3 Mar 1863, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 21 AUDITOR'S NOTICE -- Assigned Estate of Sam'l W. Beecher and Wife. -- The undersigned auditor appointed to distribute the balance remaining in the hands of Henry H. Kurtis and Jacob Esbenshade, assignees, to and among those legally entitled to the same, will sit for that purpose on FRIDAY, the 10th day of APRIL next, at 2 o'clock, P. M. in the Library Room of the Court House, in the City of Lancaster, where all persons interested in said distribution may attend. WM. CARPENTER, Auditor.
19. Residence: 1866 Lancaster City Directory: Samuel W. Beecher, machinist, home Shippen near R R bridge in 1866 in Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 22
20. Newspaper: Intelligencer Journal, 21 May 1866, Lancaster, Lancaster, PA. 23 -----
21. Samuel W. Beecher purchased from Henry Hilton and wife land in Manheim Township. on 3 Apr 1869 in Manheim Twp., Lancaster, PA. 24
22. Census in 1870 in Manheim Twp., Lancaster, PA. 2 Samuel Beecher, age 84, farmer, is living in the 1870 Census in Manheim Township, Lancaster County with his wife Ellen, 82, and daughter Belinda Peifer, 48. His real estate is valued at $5,000 and his possessions worth $400. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office was Landis Valley.
23. Book: Kentucky Pioneer and Court Records, 1929. 15
Samuel married Eleanor. (Eleanor was born on 28 May 1788 in , , PA,2 3 5 25 26 died on 29 Jan 1874 in Eden, Lancaster, PA, United States 3 25 26 and was buried on 31 Jan 1874 in Lancaster: City Cemetery, Lancaster, PA 3 25 26.)
1 "Personal Register of Reverend Traugott F. Illing" (https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1027932).
2 , Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Manheim Township, Series: M593 Roll: 1357 Page: 488.
3 (Online at http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/lancaster/cemeteries/lanc-cem-02.txt).
4 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35832892.
5 , Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Manheim Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1124 Page: 346.
6 Wright, F. Edward, Church records of the 18th century, Lancaster County, Pa. (Westminster, MD Family Line Publications 1994), Vol. 5, page 160.
7 Berks County Courthouse, Will of John Beecher, executed March 8, 1819.
8 (Lancaster, Lancaster County, PA), 20 Jan 1817, page 4.
9 (Lancaster, Lancaster County, PA), 21 Jan 1825, page 4.
10 , Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Earl Township, Series: M19 Roll: 153 Page: 223.
12 , Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Manheim Township, Series: M432 Roll: 787 Page: 323.
13 , 18 Aug 1852, page 2.
14 , Lancaster County Deed Book Q-8 Page 518-520.
15 McAdams, Mrs. Harry Kennett: compiler and publisher. Sections of Beecher Genealogy compiled with aid of direct descendent Dr. A.C. Beecher in Philadelphia, Kentucky Pioneer and Court Records: Abstracts of Early Wills, Deeds and Marriages from Court Houses and records of Old Bibles, Churches, Grave Yards, and Cemeteries. Copied by American War Mothers. (Keystone Printery, Lexington, KY. 1929.), Page 319.
16 , 8 Dec 1858, page 3. Ad: Public Sale. Beecher & Bro.
17 , 9 Feb 1895, page 3. Ad by Samuel W. Beecher to sell Swan Tavern in Sadsbury Township, Chester County.
18 , Lancaster Deed Book U-8 Page 608.
19 , 25 Jan 1860, page 4.
20 (Lancaster, Lancaster County, PA), 1 May 1860, page 3.
21 (Lancaster, Lancaster County, PA), 3 Mar 1863, page 3.
22 Ancestry.com, U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995, 1866 Lant's Directory of Lancaster City, 1866-67, page 10.
23 (Lancaster, Lancaster County, PA), 21 May 1866, page 2.
24 , Lancaster County Deed Book X-9 Page 142.
25 , http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35832771.
26 , 29 Jan 1874, page 3. Obituary of Ellenor Beecher.