JohanáJacob George 1
Sponsors were Jacob Fenstermacher and Gertraut Knoerr.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He has conflicting birth information of 24 Mar 1792. 6
2. He appeared on the census in 1820 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 7 Males (born)
3. He appeared on the census in 1860 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 8 Jacob George (age 67) is listed as head of a household including Lydia (60) and six others.
4. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 5 The 1870 Census lists Jacob George, age 78, occupation innkeeper. He is living with his wife, Lydia, age 71; and Isabella Diehl, age 15.
5. Newspaper: Record of the Times: "Jacob George, who keeps a hotel at the "Leather Corner Post," in Lowhill township, Lehigh county, is the veteran landlord of Eastern Pennsylvania. He has kept the same inn continously for 59 years and is 88 years of age., 29 Apr 1878, Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, PA. 9
6. Newspaper: Reading Tikmes: article about Jacob George, 29 Jun 1878, Reading, Berks, PA. 10 Jacob George, of Orefield, is the senior member of a family that is noted for their longevity. Jacob is eighty-six years old; his sister Betsy is eighty-five; Kate, eighty-two, and his brother John eighty-one. Jacob, by his healthy looks and springliness, may well be expected to live one hundred years.
7. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: A Fine Property, 3 Sep 1879, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 11 A FINE PROPERTY -- While there are a number of very desirable properties advertised for sale in these columns there is none that is more so than the tavern stand and farm in Lowhill tsp., owned by the late Jacob George, decd., at the Leather Corner Post. So far as the hotel property is concerned it is hardly worth while that we should say a great deal about it. The stand is one of the oldest and best known in the county. With a new, commodions and well adapted house, on a principal thoroughfare, it has always been a favorable stopping place. The farm is also a good one. Whoever wants to exameine this valuable stand and farm can do so by calling on either one of the executors, or on the occupant of the premises.
8. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: Ad: Hotel, Smithery and Personal Property At Auction!, 26 Nov 1879, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 12 HOTEL, SMITHERY AND PERSONAL PROPERTY AT AUCTION!
9. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: Large Sale [of Jacob George estate]., 17 Dec 1879, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13 LARGE SALE.-- The sale of the personal effects of the late Jacob George, decd., at the Leather Corner Post, in Lowhill, on Saturday week, was largely attended, and the articles offered brought fair prices. The hotel stand, so long in the occupancy of the deceased, was at the same time rented for the coming year to the highest bidder, who proved to be Mr. Tilghman Deshler, butcher, at Fogelsville. His bid was $215.
10. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: Ad: Executor's Sale of Jacob George Estate, 6 Jul 1881, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 14 EXECUTOR'S SALE OF VALUABLE REAL ESTATE.
11. Book: History of the counties of Lehigh and Carbon, 1884. 15
12. Book: Anniversary History Of Lehigh County, Volume II, 1914. 16
13. Magazine: The Weisenberg/Lowhill Historical Society News: Leather Corner Post Hotel, Apr 2013, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 17 Leather Corner Post Hotel
JohanáJacob married Lydia Wotring, daughter of Jacob Wotring and Magdalena. (Lydia Wotring was born on 30 Oct 1799 in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA 2 4, christened on 23 Mar 1800 in South Whitehall Twp.: Jordan Reformed Church, Lehigh, PA,18 died on 5 Oct 1884 2 4 and was buried in Leather Corner Post: Morgenland Church Cemetery, Lehigh, PA 2 4.)
1 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 19 Aug 1891, page 2. Diehl Family Re-Union.
2 Morganland Church Cemetery Listing (http://www.grammesgenealogy.com/morganland_cem.htm).
Lowhill Reformed Congregation, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, 1769-1881 (http://www.ancestry.com).
4 Knerr, Katie Isabelle, Notes of Katie Isabelle Knerr (Handwritten notes of her family history, in possession of her daughter, Isabel Beacher.).
5 1870 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Lowhill Township, Page 13.
Hollenbach, Raymond E, George family : descendants of Johan Jost Gorg (929.2 GEORGE
Scott Andrew Trexler II Memorial Library
Lehigh County Historical Society
PO Box 1548
Allentown, Pennsylvania 18105-1548
7 1800 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Roll 104 Book 1, Page 173.
8 1860 United States Census.
9 Record of the Times (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania) (Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, Pennsylvania.), 29 Apr 1878, page 1. State News.
10 Reading Times (Reading, PA) (Reading, Berks, Pernnsylvania.), 29 Jun 1878, page 1. Local Dashes.
11 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 3 Sep 1879, page 3.
12 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 26 Nov 1879, page 1.
13 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 17 Dec 1879, page 2.
14 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 6 Jul 1881, page 3. Ad: Jacob George Estate Sale.
15 History of the counties of Lehigh and Carbon, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Everts & Richards, 1884, 934 pgs.), Page 297.
16 Roberts, Charles Rhodes, History Of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, Volume II (Allentown, Pa., Lehigh Valley Pub. Co., 1914. 3 volumes, illustrated, maps. Prepared by a committee appointed by the Lehigh County Historical Society; chapters contributed by various writers.).
17 Weisenberg/Lowhill HIstorical Society (P.O. Box 91, New Tripoli, PA 18066. http://www.weisenbergtownship.org/), Apr 2013 Newsletter.
18 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, International Genealogical Index, http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MRTQ-LXS entry for Lydia Wotring.