|John Jacob Beacher
Noted events in his life were:
1. Residence: Wastehouse Run Dam for twenty years. 5
2. He appeared on the census in 1900 in Mahanoy Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 16 The 1900 census recorded renting a home: William Beecher, day laborer, 54, born Aug 1846, living with wife Priscilla, 47, Jan 1853; son Nathan, day laborer, 14, Jul 1885; son John, 12, Jul 1888; son Alfred, 8, Jan 1892; and daughter Laura, 6, Aug 1894. William and Priscilla were married for 17 years and she had birthed 10 children, 8 still alive in 1900 (some of these were by her first marriage.) The parents could read but not write. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. Their census was recorded 8 Jun 1900.
3. He attended school on 16 Feb 1901 in Scotland, Franklin, PA. 5 17 When William Beacher died, his children were eligible to be sent to schools for fatherless boys because he was a Civil War solider. According to genealogist Bruce Beacher who gathered information from Alfred Beacher, Alfred said he and his brother John Jacob were raised in Scotland, Pa. in an orphanage.
4. Court: John Jacob, Laura and Alfred Beacher were appointed a guardian, Joseph T. Lyons on 13 Apr 1903 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 18 Orphan's Court Dockets.
5. Newspaper: Miner's Journal: Guardian Appointed for Beacher Children, 14 Apr 1903, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 19 On motion of Wm. F. Lyons court appointed Joseph T. Lyons guardian of Laura, Alford and John Jacob Beacher, minor children of Wm. Beacher. Three bonds in the sum of $300 each with Wm. F. Lyons as surety, were approved.
6. He appeared on the census in 1910 in North Braddock, Allegheny, PA. 20 The 1910 census recorded at 28 High Street: John Beacher, laborer, single, 20, living with his step-brother William H. Derrick, laborer in machine shop, widowed, 33. They were boarders in the home of Martin J. Fisher, 36. and his wife Elizabeth, 36. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
7. Newspaper: West Schuylkill Herald: Guardian of John Jacob Beacher, 3 Feb 1911, Tower City, Schuylkill, PA, United States. 21 Notice is hereby given that the Executors, Administrators, Guardians, Trustees, etc. herein named filed their respective accounts in the following estates in the Register's Office at Pottsville, in and for the County of Schuylkill, which accounts having been allowed by the Register, will be presented to the Judge of the Orphan's Court for confirmation nisi, on Monday, March 6th, 1911, at 10:30 o'cock in the forenoon, in the Borough of Pottsville, as follows, to wit:
8. Military Draft: 5 Jun 1917, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 14 World War I Draft Registration Card
9. Cause of Death: lobar pneumoinia, 25 Mar 1919, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 10
10. Residence: 34 E. Penn Street, Shenandoah, PA on 25 Mar 1919 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 10
11. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: Shenandoah Man Died, 27 Mar 1919, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 22 Shenandoah Man Died
12. Letter: from Mae C. Beacher to Bruce Beacher, 1978. 6 "I am the daughter of John J. Beacher. My grandfather was William Beacher. I also have a sister in Shenandoah. Her name is Anna Beacher Zagorski. She also has two children and eight grandchildren. My father died when I was six years old. He was only 29 when he died. My brother was three and my sister was eleven months. ... I had two uncles Nathan and Alfred also an aunt Laura Beacher Parsons. I can remember when I was very small, my father would take me to Beacher's candy store. I do not know how he was related to my father but I do remember his name was Benjamin Beacher."
John married Anna Sverha, daughter of George Sverha and Dorothy Seval, on 1 Jan 1913 in , Schuylkill, PA.1 (Anna Sverha was born on 24 Aug 1894 in Yatesville, Schuylkill County, PA,23 24 25 died on 14 Apr 1970 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA 23 24 25 26 and was buried on 18 Apr 1970 in Shenandoah Heights: Odd Fellows Cemetery, Schuylkill, PA 24 25 26.)
1 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMCT-YWZ John J Beacher and Anna Schwerka, 1913.
3 http://www.ancestry.com, http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/localities.northam.usa.states.pennsylvania.easternpa/9036.
4 1910 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Allegheny County, Roll 1296 Book 1, Page 215b.
5 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, Issue 1 Jun 1978.
6 Zitkus, Mae Beacher (15 May 1978 Letter to Bruce Beacher).
7 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMZW-CPC Peter Zogorski and Anna Beacher, 1938.
8 Billion Graves (http://www.BillionGraves.com), http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/JohnJacobBeacher/2802040.
9 Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, PA (Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania), 23 Jul 1990, page 2, obituary of Anna D. Zagorski.
10 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate 39281. John Beacher. Father Wm Beacher. Mother Priscilla Derrick.
11 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993, PA > Schuylkill County. Will Book 12, Page 580. Online image 326. Priscilla Beacher.
12 Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104440303.
Rice, Phillip A, Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) Cemetery, Shenandoah Heights, West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (Apollo, PA : Closson Press, c1993.
135 p. : map ; 28 cm. Includes index.), Page 93.
14 WWI Civilian Draft Registrations, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K6KG-6DW John Beacher, 1917-1918.
15 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMZ9-YHD Fred Nuemeista and Anna Becker, 1925.
16 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mahanoy Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1483 Page: 253. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M34Q-P7Q .
Wm. Stanley Ray, State Printer of Pennsylvania, Annual Report of the Pennsylvania Commission of Soldiers' Orphan Schools (State of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, 1905.
http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/pa+index+31918244740+F), For the Year Ending May 31, 1904.
18 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28854-1452-9?cc=1999196 : Schuylkill > Orphans' Court dockets 1901-1911 vol 29-31 > image 211 of 1018; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.
19 The Miners Journal (Pottsville, PA), 14 Apr 1903, page 1.
20 1910 United States Census, Year: 1910; Census Place: North Braddock Ward 2, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1296; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 0174; FHL microfilm: 1375309.
21 West Schuylkill Herald (Tower City, PA), 3 Feb 1911, page 4. Legal Notices.
22 Mount Carmel Item (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 27 Mar 1919, page 7. Shenandoah Man Died.
23 Social Security Death Index, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JBBX-LJX Anna Neumeister, April 1970; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
24 Billion Graves (http://www.BillionGraves.com), http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/AnnaBNeumeisterSverhaBeacher/2802041.
25 Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104440359.
26 Shenandoah Evening Herald (Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania.), 15 Apr 1970, page 19. Obituary of Mrs. Anna Neumeister.