|William James Jacobs Sr.
William James Jacobs Sr. 2 3 4 5 6 7
FamilySearch ID: 2JM6-DV5.
Event Description: The 1850 through 1880 censuses indicate 1820 is his birth, but 1900 census says Jul 1812
Noted events in his life were:
1. Relatives To Research: If you are related to William Jacobs please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Occupation: He was a stage coach driver before the railroads. Later, he sold coal oil in Pottsville and Shenandoah. 2
3. Census in 1840 in Schuylkill Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 10 A possible but unsubstantiated match: Robert Jacobs, the only Jacobs appearing in Schuylkill County in the 1840 Census. Could this be William's brother and he is living with him?
4. Census in 1850 in New Castle, Schuylkill County, PA. 11 The 1850 census recorded William Jacobs, 30 living with wife Mary, 27, and children Mary Anne, 7; Jane, 4; and Henrietta, 2. His occupation is listed as Stage Driver. Their birthplaces are missing on the census form. They were living in the town of New Castle within New Castle Township, Also in the home was Harriet Gossler, age 4.
5. Census in 1860 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 4 The 1860 census recorded William Jacobs, day laborer, 40, living with wife, Mary, 36; and daughters Sarah J., 14, and Emma , 6. Next door (on the previous census page) is Mary A. Jacobs, servant, 16, living in a hotel owned by hotel keeper Robert Philips, 60. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office was Broad Mountain.
6. Census in 1870 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 12 The 1870 census listed William Jacob (no S), laborer, 50, living with wife Mary, 48; Emma, 17; and William, 8. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office was Shenandoah.
7. Fact: Wm. Jacobs was in the list of voters who voted in north ward, Tamaqua, Schuylkill County in the November election, 1876, 2 Nov 1876, Tamaqua, Schuylkill, PA. 13
8. Census in 1880 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 14 The 1880 census recorded at 156 Jardin Street: William Jacobs, laborer, 70, living with wife Mary, 57; and granddaughter Sadie Beacher, 10. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
9. Residence: in 1881 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 15 Beacher, Benjamin F., miner, h. W. Centre n Main
10. Census in 1890 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 16 He was recorded in the Third Ward. The original census was destroyed in a fire, but an index created from the census shows the following listings:
11. William is not found in Schuylkill and Northumberland County will indexes at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 in , Schuylkill, PA.
12. Book: Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania on page 656, 1893. 17
13. Newspaper: Evening Herald: Personal: W. J. Jacobs attended the Washington memorial parade in Frackville yesterday., 23 Feb 1894, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 18
14. Newspaper: Shenandoah Evening Herald: Personal. Rev. J. Jacobs of Roxanna, Mich., is visiting his brother, William Jacobs, of town. [Note: Roxanna should be Roxand Township in Eaton County, Michigan.], 28 Oct 1895, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 19 20
15. Census in 1900 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 21 Renting at 218 Strawberry Street was William Jacobs, age 87, born July 1812, 60 years married to his wife, Mary, who is age 77 born May, 1823. (The census was recorded on June 6, 1900.) The census lists her as the mother of 7 children, 4 of whom are living. Mary and her parents are listed as born in Pennsylvania. William is born in Pennsylvania but his father is from France and his mother from Wales. William is listed as unable to read or write but he can speak English. Mary can read, can't write, and can speak English.
16. Obituary: Republican and Herald: Obituary of William Jacobs Sr. on 17 Oct 1902 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 6 SHENANDOAH SCREENINGS
17. Obituary: Republican and Herald: funeral notice for William Jacobs Sr. on 18 Oct 1902 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 22 JACOBS. -- At Shenandoah, Pa., on the 17th inst., Wm. Jacobs Sr., aged 90 years and three months. Funeral will take place Monday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock from the late residence, No. ___ West Strawberry alley, proceeding to the Methodist Episcopal church, where services will be conducted. Interment in the Odd Fellows' cemetery. Relatives and friends respectfully invited to attend.
18. Newspaper: Republican and Herald: Funeral of William Jacobs Sr., 20 Oct 1902, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 9 SHENANDOAH SCREENINGS
19. Book: History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, 1907. 3
William married Mary Ann Hough, daughter of Henry Hough and Margaret Kline, about 1840.1 (Mary Ann Hough was born on 23 Sep 1822 in Selinsgrove, Snyder, PA,8 23 24 died on 5 May 1908 in Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA 8 23 24 25 and was buried on 8 May 1908 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA 8 23 24 25.)
3 Schalk, Adolf W. and Hon. D.C. Henning, editors, History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (State Historical Association, 1907. Found in Pennsylvania State Library, R974.863 Sch. 13 V.2), Volume II, pages 44-46.
4 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1178 Page: 352.
5 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 66899. Henrietta Beacher, b. 20 Sep 1847, d. 30 Jul 1908. Parents Wm Jacobs and Mary Huth.
6 (www.republicanherald.com), 17 Oct 1902, page 4. Obituary of William Jacobs Sr.
7 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/191845509.
8 (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 7 May 1908, page 1. Funeral of Mrs. Jacobs.
9 (www.republicanherald.com), 20 Oct 1902, page 4. Funerla of William Jacobs Sr.
10 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Schuylkill Township, Page 122.
11 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Roll: M432_827; Page: 167; Image: 274.
12 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah Borough, Series: M593 Roll: 1450 Page: 603.
13 U. S. Government Printing Office, Congressional Series of United States Public Documents (Washington, D.C. 1877), Page 342. http://books.google.com/books?id=FFNHAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22wm.%20jacobs%22%20%22schuylkill%20county%22%20shenandoah&pg=PA342#v=snippet&q=%22jacobs%22&f=false.
14 1880 United States Census, Year: 1880; Census Place: Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1192; Family History Film: 1255192; Page: 524B; Enumeration District: 201; Image: 0306.
15 W. Harry Boyd, Boyd's Directory of Pottsville, Shenandoah, Ashland and Tamaqua (Pottsville, Penna.), 1881, page 331.
16 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah City, Third Ward, 1890 Federal Census Directory, http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/schuylkill/census/1890/shenandoah3.txt.
17 Wiley & Ruoff, Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, 1893 (1893), Page 656.
18 , 23 Feb 1894, page 1.
19 Ancestry.com, "Michigan, Death Records, 1867-1952" (Death Records. Michigan Department of Community Health, Division for Vital Records and Health Statistics, Lansing, Michigan.), Certificate 464. Jeremiah Jacobs. Father ? Jacobs. Mother unknown. Informant J. Augustus Jacobs.
20 , 28 Oct 1895, page 4. Personal.
21 , Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah Ward 5, Series: T623 Roll: 1484 Page: 257.
22 (www.republicanherald.com), 18 Oct 1902.
23 , http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149709086.
24 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates. Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate Number: 48627. Mary Jacobs. Father Henry Hough. Mother Mrs. Kline.
25 (www.republicanherald.com), 7 May 1908, page 4. Obituary of Mary Jacobs.
Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List
This website was created 17 Mar 2023 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by email@example.com