|Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1930 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 7 8 The 1930 Census in Allentown recorded owning a $15,000 home at 224 South 16th St.: Benjamin F. Beacher, mechanical engineer, 53, living with his wife, Bertha P., 45; daughter Ruth E., 24, occupation piano teacher; and sons B. Donald, 16; John H., 13; Bruce F., 10;, and Robert L., 5. Their home had a radio. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
2. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Piano Pupils Offer Recital, on 26 Jan 1930, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 9 9 Miss Ruth Beacher, teacher of piano, presented students of her class of beginners and the elementary groups in recital at her home, 224 South Sixteenth street, yesterday. Takmg part were Lida Morrison, Jean Messersmith, Catherine Dierurl, Julia Odenheimer, Hattie Eileen Odenheimer, Ruth Hertz, Frances Leonard, Betty Ward, Ruth Parmet, Betty Brinker, Mary Catherine Wenck, Miriam Snyder, Sylvia Sontag, Anna Seip, Roy Hertz and Bruce Beacher.
3. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Scout Program Broadcast by Troop 10, on 21 Feb 1931, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 10 10 Radio listeners who tuned Into Station WCBA Thursday night heard an interesting Boy Scout program presented by the members of Troop 10, which meets regularly at the Asbury M. E. church. The program opened with the assembly bugle call by Troop Bugler John Beacher, after which Donald Beacher, senior patrol leader, led In the pledge of allegiance. Frederick Everett and John Beacher then recited the Scout laws and William Ruch favored with a violin solo. A quartet composed of Committeemen John Eddy, Lester Bally, Claude Horlacher and Edgar, then sang several numbers and they were accompanied at the piano by Ralph Ruch. Donald Beacher then offered a trombone solo and Robert Keck played a piano solo. A talk entitled, "Taking the Boys Measure In a Popular Way," was then given by Edgar Weaver, a member of the troop commute. In his address Mr. Weaver explained the work being done for the youth of Allentown by the Boy Scout organization. The sounding of taps by Bugler Beacher brought the program to a close. The scoutmaster of Troop 10 Is Fred Erwin. Assistant scoutmasters of the troop are Adraln Hoffman, Wilbur Hemstreet and George Hemstreet.
4. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Beacher Family Entertains, on 30 Jan 1932, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 11 11 The Men's Bible class of Grace E. C. church, Fifteenth and Turner streets. Rev. H. E. M. Snyder, pastor, sponsored an unusual supper party and program in the social rooms of the church last evening. It was called a "Family Night" and was attended by almost 100 persons, members of the class with their wives. So successful was the affair that it will be a regular event at intervals throughout the year. John I. Baker, president of the class, was a capable toastmaster during the dinner program, which featured two addresses by William Thomas and Rev. D. G. Reinhold. Mrs. H. C. Pottelger entertained with vocal solos. Following the dinner, there was an entertainment program staged by the Beacher family, which includes: Mr. and Mrs. B. Beacher, Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn and Donald, John, Bruce and Bobby Beacher. The group formed an orchestra and offered instrumental numbers; there were also a number of songs, piano duets and solos, etc. The program concluded with a demonstration of various types of Indian war dances, performed by the Beacher boys in costume.
5. Newspaper: Morning Call: V C. E. Society Discusses Program of Denomination, on 28 Jan 1935, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 12 12 V C. E. SOCIETY DISCUSSES PROGRAM OF DENOMINATION
6. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: A. H. S. Grads Attain High College Averages, on 26 Feb 1936, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13 13 A. H. S. Grads Attain High College Averages
7. Newspaper: Morning Call: Two Brothers Among 9 Localites Graduated From Penn State College, on 13 Jun 1939, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 14 14 A group of nine Allentonians, including two brothers, Bruce P. and John H. Beacher of 224 S. 16th St., yesterday received degrees as Pennsylvania State college graduated its largest class in history. John received his degree in zoology and entomology, and it is reported he has been hired by the National Geographic society to join a research expedition to Africa. John is aged 23, while Bruce is only 20, one of the youngest students in the class. He received his degree in agronomy. Both are A.H.S. graduates. Others from Allentown who received their degrees were: Kenneth H. Bunk, 239 E. Elm St., health and physical education; Frank E. Davis, Route 4, dairy husbandry; Robert S. Givler Jr., 1744 Chew St., journalism; Wilmer K. Rockmaker, 122 S. 16th St., commerce and finance; Morton Schneider, 313 N. 6th St.. commerce and finance; William N. Wrem, 1121 Linden St., commerce and finance, and Kermit F. R. Riedy, 866 Sherman St., a graduate student, advanced degree of electrical engineering.
8. He appeared on the census in 1940 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 15 The 1940 Census recorded at 224 16th Street in Allentown Benjamin F. Beacher, 62, living with wife Bertha P., 54; and sons John H., 23; Bruce F., 20; and Robert L., 15. Benjamin owned the home valued at $10,000. Benjamin had completed 4 years of high school, his wife and Robert 2 years. John and Bruce had completed 4 years of college. Benjamin was employed as a utility man in an office. Bruce was a soil technician with the Department of the Interior. The census was recorded on 17 Apr 1940
9. He appeared on the census in 1940 in Billings, Yellowstone, MT, USA. 16 The 1940 census recorded Bruce F. Beacher, junior soil technologist with U. S. Depot. of Interior, 20, single, as a lodger at 1024 North 30th Street. HIs residence in 1935 was Allentown, Lehigh, PA. The census was recorded on 15 Apr 1940.
10. Newspaper: Gazette and Daily: Beecher-Strayer Wedding, 27 Sep 1941, York, York, PA. 6 BEACHER STRAYER
11. Residence: on 27 Sep 1941 in Billings, Yellowstone, MT, USA. 6
12. Newspaper: Morning Call: marriage of Bruce Franklin Beecher and Betty Marguerite Strayer, 28 Sep 1941, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 2 Betty Marguerite Strayer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nevin Warner Strayer of York, and Bruce Franklin Beacher, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Beacher of 224 S. 16th St., this city, were united in marriage. The Rev. John Baker, D.D., read the ceremony. Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn, the bridegroom's sister, was at the organ console. The bride had as her maid of honor and bridesmaids sorority sisters from the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, Penn State chapter. John H. Beacher, entomologist of Newark, Del., was his brother's best man. Ushers were also brothers, B. D. Beacher of Salladasburg and Robert L. Beacher, a student at Penn State, and the third, Alden K. Horn, a brother-in-law. Mrs. Beacher was graduated from Pennsylvania State college in 1940. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and has been teaching French in Allentown, Pa. Mr. Beacher, who graduated from Allentown High school with the class of 1935, played baritone in the Allentown High school band and was a member of the National Honor Society. He received his degree from the agronomy department of Penn State in 1939. While at college he played in the Blue Band and was a member of Phi Eta Sigma and Alpha Zeta fraternities. Mr. Beacher returned East on Sept. 17 from Billings, Montana, where he Is stationed as a soil technologist for the United States Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Reclamation. Following a reception in a York hotel, the couple left on an extended tour of the Western states. They are visiting in western Pennsylvania and then going to Colorado and New Mexico. After Oct. 13, the Beachers will be at home in Billings, Montana.
13. Residence: 485 S. Logan St., Denver, CO on 9 Jun 1943 in Denver, Denver, CO. 4
14. Military from 9 Jun 1943 to 1 Aug 1945 in Denver, Denver, CO: World War II. 4
15. Residence: 182 Buttles St., Columbus, OH in 1949 in Columbus, Franklin, OH. 4
16. Residence: Student at Ohio State University on 23 Dec 1949 in Columbus, Franklin, OH. 17
17. Residence: 833 Northampton Dr., Silver Spring, MD on 6 May 1950 in Silver Spring, Montgomery, MD. 4
18. Newspaper: Morning Call: At Birthday Party, on 16 Jun 1950, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 18 18 Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn entertained at a turkey dinner Saturday night at her home, 1024 Chew St., in honor of her mother, Mrs. Bertha P. Beacher, 1935 Greenleaf St., and her uncle, W. H. Snyder, 1233 Walnut St., who observed their 65th birthday anniversaries last Sunday. They are the twin children of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Snyder of Frackville.
19. Newspaper: Morning Call: Bruce F. Beachers Leave for Denver, 5 Feb 1954, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 19 Bruce F. Beachers Leave for Denver
20. Residence: in Jul 1955 in , , CO. 20
21. Newspaper: Gettysburg Times: AARP Meets at Apple Museum, 8 Apr 1991, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 21 More than 100 enthusiastic members and guests of the AARP Chapter 2635 held their April meeting at the National Apple Museum in Biglerville on April 4.
22. Newspaper: Gettysburg Times: Penns' Opposum Creek Manor cited, 6 Nov 1991, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 22 The Biglerville Historical and Preservation Society at its October meeting received a plaque commemorating the 250th anniversary of the founding of Penn's Opposum Creek Manor where the National Apple Museum now stands.
23. Newspaper: Gettysburg Times: Diversity and dedication: The Apple Core Band, 18 Dec 1991, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 23 A secretary and a businessman, an insurance agent and a graphic designer, an auto mechanic and a scientist, a student and a teacher, a retired principal and a future mayor.
24. Residence: 60 Hillside Dr., Biglerville, PA in 1992 in Biglerville, Adams, PA. 24
25. Obituary: The Gettysburg Times on 28 Jan 2004 in Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 25 Dr. Bruce F. Beacher, 84, of 60 Hillside Drive, Biglerville, died Saturday, Jan. 24 at home.
Bruce married Betty Marguerite Strayer, daughter of Nevin Warner Strayer and Margaret Sarah Wolfe, on 27 Sep 1941 in York, York, PA.1 2 (Betty Marguerite Strayer was born on 22 Aug 1918 in York, York, PA,1 died on 7 Aug 2012 in Monroe, Butler County, OH 3 and was cremated in Allentown: Grandview Cemetery, Lehigh, PA 3.)
1 Genealogy Research conducted by Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D. (1919-2004).
2 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 28 Sep 1941, page 21. Marriage Bruce Franklin Beecher and Betty Strayer.
3 Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, PA), 11 Aug 2012, obituary of Betty M. Beacher.
4 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Veteran Compensation Applications, WWII, 1950, Box Title : Bayne, James J - Beane, John C (Box 43). Bruce Franklin Beacher Service No. 37346274 Serial O-2064205.
5 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), SSN 203016985 Bruce Franklin Beacher, father Benjamin F Beacher, mother Bertha P Snyder.
6 The Gazette and Daily (York, PA) (York, York, Pennsylvania.), 27 Sep 1941, page 4. Beacher-Strayer Wedding.
7 1930 United States Census, Enumeration District 37-38 Visit 430 Sheet 17A.
8 Zitkus, Mae Beacher (15 May 1978 Letter to Bruce Beacher).
9 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 26 Jan 1930, page 5.
10 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 21 Feb 1931, page 2.
11 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 30 Jan 1932, page 7.
12 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 28 Jan 1935, page 13.
13 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 26 Feb 1936, page 5.
14 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 13 Jun 1939, page 15.
15 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQDF-TMJ Benjamin F Beacher, Ward 13, Allentown, Allentown City, Lehigh, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 39-56, sheet 9B, family 195.
16 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBQF-LP1 Bruce F Beacher in household of Charles E Joyce, Ward 2, Billings, School District 2 Billings, Yellowstone, Montana, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 56-5A, sheet 6A, family 217.
17 Republican and Herald (Pottsville, PA) (www.republicanherald.com), 24 Dec 1949, page 1. Obituary of Benjamin F. Beacher.
18 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 16 Jun 1950, page 28.
19 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 5 Feb 1954, page 12.
20 FamilySearch.org, United States National Register of Scientific and Technical Personnel Files, 1954-1970, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KLW3-64Q Bruce F Beacher, Colorado, United States, Jul 1955; citing 1954 National Register of Scientific and Technical Personnel, 622629, National Archives at College Park, Maryland.
21 Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, PA), 8 Apr 1991, page 7.
22 Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, PA), 6 Nov 1991, page 11 of 12.
23 Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, PA), 18 Dec 1981, page 14.
24 Ancestry.com, U.S. Public Records Index (Original data: Voter Registration Lists, Public Record Filings, Historical Residential Records, and Other Household Database Listings.), Vol. 1, Bruce F. Beacher, Biglerville, PA.
25 Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, PA), 28 Jan 2004 Edition.