John Beecher 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Other names for John were John Beeher,10 Johann Biecher,8 Johannes Bieger,11 Johannes Bucher, John Bucher,12 John Bücher 13 and John Buecher.10
FamilySearch ID: 9VH8-59W.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Alt. Name: Original surname Bücher with umlaut above u pronounced as Beecher which became the surname used by descendants,,.
2. He has conflicting birth information of See the Alt. Death for an explanation., 14 Sep 1748 and , , PA. 14 15
3. Baptism on 31 Dec 1775 in Littlestown: Christ Reformed Church, Adams, PA. Baptism by Rev. Charles Ludwig Boehme: Jacob Bücher b. 30 Oct 1775, parents John and Elizabeth, sponsor Jacob Sell and Christine 16
4. The list of communicants listed by Rev. Charles Lewis Boehme included Anna Maria Bucher, John Bucher, and Elizabeth Bucher. on 21 Apr 1776 in Littlestown: Christ Reformed Church, Adams, PA. 17
5. Military on 23 Oct 1776 in , Washington, MD: Revolutionary War: John Beecher served in Capt. William Keyser's Company of the German Battalion organized in Washington County, MD. 18 19 From "History of Western Maryland"
6. Tax List: 1780, Germany Twp., York, PA. 20
7. Tax List: Beacher, John, 48 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, valuation 239 pounds, tax 1 pound 4 shillings 11 pence, 1786, Heidelberg Twp., York, PA. 21
8. Recorded in Deed Book 2E: 147 on 17 May 1787 in Germany Twp., York, PA. 12 22 Henry and wife, Catherine, Sold 250 acres to John Beeher of Hidleberg Twp. Reserved 12 acres for Himself and wife and house where Christian Reek, Jr. now lives.
9. Tax List: 1789, Germany Twp., York, PA. 23 Beecher, Henry, 75 acres, 1 horse, 1 cow, 1 house, 2 lots.valuation 64,0,0, tax 0 9 0
10. Census in 1790 in Berwick/Cumberland, York County, PA. 24 John is difficult to find in the 1790 Census for York County (Adams County was not created until 1800.) The possible match for him is John Beher in Berwick/Cumberland Townships. John's household had 1 white male over 16, 1 white male under 16, and 3 white females.
11. Newspaper: Pennsylvania Herald & York General Advertiser, 27 May 1795, York, York, PA. 25 Sheriff's Sales: Estate of John Poffenberger, one equal undivided half part of improvement & tract in Mountpleasant Twp., York co. of 180 a., adjacent lands of Martin Botosff, Nicholas Lengle, & John Beegher.
12. Court: on 5 Dec 1797 in , York, PA. 12 His father Henry's inventory is filed and sons John and William were listed as executors.
13. Tax List: 1798, Straban Twp., Adams, PA. John Becher, distiller, 186 acres, log and stone house, log and stone barn, $873.50.
14. Tax List: 1799, Straban Twp., Adams, PA. 26 The tax list prepared in 1799 for the year 1800 shows only one possible name for John: John Beeher, distiller, $1,019.
15. Census in 1800 in Straban Twp., Adams, PA. 4 The first Beecher to appear in any Census in Pennsylvania spelled as such, John Beecher's household had:
16. Newspaper: The Sprig of Liberty: List of Letters Remaining in the Post Office at Gettysburg: John Beecher, John Beecher, jun., 16 Oct 1806, Gettysburg, Adams, PA.
17. Census in 1810 in Straban Twp., Adams, PA. 27 In the 1810 Census in Straban Township, the John Beaker household is listed with:
18. Census in 1820 in Straban Twp., Adams, PA. 28 Four Beecher households are listed on the same page of the 1820 Census in Straban Township.
19. Property in 1821 in Straban Twp., Adams, PA. He transferred 130 acres to George Saltzgiver. [NOTE: the 1830 census lists in Straban Townshp a George Saltsgiver age 60-69.]
20. Property on 24 Apr 1821 in Codorus Twp., York, PA. Grantor Peter Beecher and wife Catharine of Mount Pleasant Township, Adams County, sold to grantee John Beecher, Straban Township, Adams County, for £1600 130 acres 100 p. in Codorus Township, the land sold by Peter Klinefelder to Peter Beecher 1817. Original deed in file 11154.
21. Newspaper: Gettysburg Compiler: "The tax assessed for the year 1824 is as follows, viz: John Beecher, Sen., Straban, 498 38., 2 Feb 1825, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 29
22. Property on 26 Jun 1826 in Codorus Twp., York, PA. Grantor John Beecher, Sr. and wife Elizabeth of Straban Township, Adams County, sold to grantee Peter Runk, for $800 130 acres 100 p. in Codorus Township, the land sold by Peter Klinefelder to Peter Beecher 1817, and then Peter Beecher to John Beecher 1821. Original deed in file 11154.
23. Newspaper: Adams Sentinel: Conowago Woolen Factory, David Beecher, 30 Aug 1826, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 30 Conowago Woolen Factory
24. Property in 1827 in Straban Twp., Adams, PA. He sold 20 acres to Jacob Bucher.
25. Census in 1830 in Straban Twp., Adams, PA. 31 Listed is John Beicher with this household:
26. Fact: State Representative Thaddeus Stevens read a petition from John Beecher to the House of Representatives, 2 Feb 1835, Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. 32 In "Journal of the Forty-Fifth House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" on 2 Feb 1835, Thaddeus Stevens, State Representative from Adams County is recorded:
27. Fact: PA Law honoring John's Revolutionary War pension., 17 Mar 1835, , , PA. 33 A law passed in 1835 at the state capitol mentions John Beecher's service in the Revolutionary War:
28. He has conflicting death information of 14 Nov 1838 and , Adams, PA. 15 Both John and Elisabeth were originally buried in the Old Reformed and Lutheran Graveyard in Arendtsville but were later moved to the Fairview Cemetery in Arendtsville. The stones were read by Rev. N. A. Gobrecht and the list published in 1909 in the Pennsylvania German Magazine, Vol. 10 - Paper VI, page 15. John's death date was recorded as 14 Nov 1838 and his age 90 y. 2 m. "A soldier of the Revolution." [Rev. Gobrecht was married to a granddaughter of John and Elisabeth.]
29. Census in 1840 in Menallen Twp., Adams, PA. 34 The 1840 census recorded John Beecher with this household:
30. File 2271. John Beecher died 1842. Proved 11 Jun 1842 executor Anthony Deardorff. Inventory field 21 Oct 1843. Vendue filed 4 Jul 1842. Account settled 27 Nov 1842. on 11 Jun 1842 in , Adams, PA.
31. Newspaper: Republican Compiler: Another Reolutionary Patriot Gone: Died, Jun 2, 1842, Mr. John Beecher, Sr., Menallen Township, this county, aged 85 years., 13 Jun 1842, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 35
32. Obituary: Adams Sentinel on 13 Jun 1842 in Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 5 Died. On Weds. last, John Beecher, Sr. of Menallen Twp., in the 85th year of his age - a revolutionary patriot.
33. Obituary: Reading Adler: Staub. am 8ten June, in Menallen Taunschip, Adams County, Sr. Johann Biecher, sen. ein Revolutionär patriot, im 85sten Jahre seines Alters. on 5 Jul 1842 in Reading, Berks, PA. 8 Translation: on June 8th, in Menallen Township, Adams County, Sr. Johann Biecher, sen. a revolutionary patriot, in the 85th year of his age.
34. Court: Orphans Court Records are in Vol. J pg 154, Vol. F pg 146. Acct. Docket is Vol. B pg 383. in 1843 in , Adams, PA.
35. Newspaper: Gettysburg Compiler: Estate of John Beecher, deceased., 24 Apr 1843, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 36 Estate of John Beecher, deceased.
36. Estate: 21 Oct 1843, , Adams, PA. 12 37 Administration 2271, John Beecher, Sr. filed 21 Oct. 1843. Sureties: David Beecher, Anthony Deardorf and John Gilbert. Inventory dated 14 June 1842. Purchasers were David Beecher, David Beecher, Jr., George Beecher, James Russell, Jesse Beecher, Samuel Beecher and the widow Saltzgiver. [We believe that John Gilbert was a brother-in-law of David Beecher.] He was living with his son, David, when he died.
37. Orphans Court on 27 Nov 1843 in , Adams, PA. 37 38 "Came into Court Anthony Deardorff Administrator of the estate of John Beecher Deceased and produced a document of his Administration as Settled with the Registers of this county which account appears balanced whereupon it is considered by the Court and ordered that the Same be and is herly confirmed."
38. Newspaper: The Sentinel, 4 Dec 1843, Gettysburg, Adams, PA. 39 REGISTER'S NOTICES
39. Magazine: The Pennsylvania-German: article about bibles of John Christopher Gobrecht and John Beecher owned by N.A. Gobrecht, Apr 1908, , , PA. 40 N. A. Gobrecht, Altoona, Pa., has in his possession a German Bible printed at Zurich, Switzerland, by Emanuel and Johann Rudolff, printers, 1729. It was brought over by John Christopher Gobrecht, the ancestor born October, 1733, at Angerstein, Hanover, Germany; landed September 11, 1753, at Philadelphia, from the ship "Queen of Denmark," Geo. Parish, captain; settled in Bucks county; studied theology under Rev. John George Alsentz, and was licensed 1764 as the first Reformed student under the care of Coetus in Pennsylvania; died at Hanover in 1815. He has also another German Bible printed by Christopher Sauer, Germantown, Pa., 1763, having family record of John Beecher and Elizabeth Keplinger, the ancestors of the numerous Beecher families in Adams and York counties, Pa. John Beecher was a soldier of the Revolution, died in his 90th year, August 1838, and was buried at Arendtsville, Pa. This Bible comes to N. A. Gobrecht by his wife, who is a Beecher descendant of the third generation. Both German Bibles are in good condition and are in the hands of a worthy member of the Pennsylvania German Society of Pennsylvania and are cherished by him as family heirlooms.
40. Magazine: The Pennsylvania-German Vol. 10: documentation of Gilbert-Fox-Beecher graves, 1909, Lititz, Lancaster, PA. 9 In 1909, N.A. Gobrecht Altoona, Pa., a descendant of Jacob Gilbert and son-in-law David Beecher, visited his Gilbert, Fox, and Beecher ancestors' graves in Arendtsville, and documented the cemetery in Volume 10 of the Pennsylvania-German magazine entitled "Paper VI, Tombstone Inscriptions of Persons Born Prior to 1800 and Past 16 years at Death at Arendtsville, Adams County, Pa."
John married Elizabeth Keplinger, daughter of Henry Keplinger and Unknown. (Elizabeth Keplinger was born in 1755 in , , PA,9 41 42 43 died on 14 Aug 1845 in Arendtsville, Adams, PA 9 41 43 44 and was buried in Arendtsville: Old Reformed & Lutheran Graveyard, Adams, PA 6 9 43.)
1 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, International Genealogical Index (R) (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of November 17, 2005).
4 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Straban Township, Series: M32 Roll: 35 Page: 497.
5 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, June 13, 1842.
6 (http://marciasandmeyerwilson.com and emails from Macia S. Wilson), Telephone call on 30 Mar 1997 between Lorraine Beecher Fiece and Marcia Sandmeyer Wilson, recorded in notes in the Beecher surname file at Adams County Historical Society library.
7 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/244995939.
8 (Reading, Berks, Pennsylvania.), 5 Jul 1842, page 2. Death of Johann Biecher.
9 N. A. Gobrecht, "Paper VI, Tombstone Inscriptions of Persons Born Prior to 1800 and Past 16 years at Death at Arendtsville, Adams County, Pa.," The Pennsylvania-German, Volume 10, 1909; Page 98. Online free at Google Books: http://books.google.com/books?id=cdMwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA98-IA5#v=onepage&q&f=false
10 , Book A:376, Henry's will written 23 Feb. 1795, filed under Becher.
11 , 16 Oct 1806, page 4.
12 (Frederick, MD).
13 (Ancestry.com. Original data: Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Historical Society of Pennsylvania.), Reel 671, Adams --> Littlestown --> St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, printed page 37, online image 47 of 279.
15 N. A. Gobrecht, "Paper VI, Tombstone Inscriptions of Persons Born Prior to 1800 and Past 16 years at Death at Arendtsville, Adams County, Pa.," The Pennsylvania-German, Volume 10, 1909; Page 98.
16 William J. Hinke, Church Record of The Conewago Or Christ Church Congregation Near Littlestown Adams County Pennsylvania 1747-1871 (Online https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE2130818&from=fhd in FamilySearch.org Books), Page 11.
17 (Family Line Publications, Westminister, MD 21157. No year.), Page 86.
18 Scharf, J. Thomas, History of Western Maryland; being a history of Frederick, Montgomery, Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties from the earliest period to the present day; including biographical sketches of their representative men (Regional Pub. Co., 1968. Reprint of the 1882 ed. 2 volumes (1560 p.)), Page 1190. John Beecher listed in Captain William Heyser's company in the Revolutionary War.
19 Charles Francis Stein, The German Battalion of the American Revolution (The Society for the History of the Germans in Maryland.), Online at Loyola Notre Dame Library, 200 Winston Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21212 http://loyolanotredamelib.org/php/report05/articles/pdfs/Report36Steinp26-50.pdf .
20 Stemmons, John & E. Diane, Pennsylvania in 1780: A State-Wide Index of Circa 1780 Pennsylvania Tax Lists (1978. P.O. Box 20531, Salt Lake City, UT 84119.), Page 27.
(Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Tax and Exoneration, 1768-1801 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
Tax & Exoneration Lists, 1762–1794. Series No. 4.61; Records of the Office of the Comptroller General, RG-4. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), PA > York > Heidelberg, Beacher, John.
22 , Deed Book 2E: 147.
(Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Tax and Exoneration, 1768-1801 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
Tax & Exoneration Lists, 1762–1794. Series No. 4.61; Records of the Office of the Comptroller General, RG-4. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), PA > York > Germany Township, Beecher Henry, Beecher Frederick, Beecher John.
24 , Pennsylvania, York County, Berwick/Cumberland Townships, Series: M637 Roll: 9 Page: 462.
25 (York, York County, Pennsylvania.), 27 May 1795.
26 (Warren, Beers & Co; Chicago, IL; 1886), Page 333.
27 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Straban Township, Series: M252 Roll: 44 Page: 43.
28 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Straban Township, Series: M33 Roll: 96 Page: 52.
29 (Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania.), 2 Feb 1825, page 7.
30 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, 30 Aug 1826, page 1.
31 , Pennsylvania, Adams County, Straban Township, Series: M19 Roll: 143 Page: 51.
32 (Harrisburg, PA. 1834-1835.), Page 288. http://books.google.com/books?id=LnNDAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA283&ots=1GnM0nF5y6&dq=%22mr%20stevens%22%20%22adams%20county%22%20pennsylvania&pg=PA288#v=onepage&q=beecher&f=false.
33 Limric, Vi P, Laws of Pennsylvania Genealogical Data (Copyright Vi P. Limric 1998.), 1835, Paragraph Number 53. http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/xmisc/1835laws.txt.
34 , Year: 1840; Census Place: Menallen, Adams, Pennsylvania; Roll: 435; Page: 77; Image: 158; Family History Library Film: 0020535.
35 Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
36 (Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania.), 24 Apr 1843, page 4. Estate Noice for John Beecher.
38 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), Orphan's Court Vol. F. page 146, image 583 of 1061 at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28697-13630-88?cc=1999196&wc=M99F-4S5:1695714483 .
39 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, 4 Dec 1843 edition.
40 "Clippings from Current News," The Pennsylvania-German, Apr 1908, page 188; (https://books.google.com/books?id=DtMwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA189#v=onepage&q=gobrecht&f=false).
41 (http://www.Ancestry.com. Original from Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records.), Gettysburg: St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church, Adams County, Pennsylvania, USA http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=2451&iid=40355_267549-00325&fn=Elisabeth&ln=Beecher&st=d&ssrc=&pid=6767076.
42 , 17 Sep 1938, page 5. Backgrounds of Adams County, No. 57.
43 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/142655005.
44 The Adams Sentinel (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams, Pennsylvania, Aug 25, 1845.
Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List
This website was created 21 May 2023 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org