|Ira Ambrose Beecher
FamilySearch ID: LD6S-2XM.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1900 in Dinsdale, Tama, IA. 4 John W. Beecher, blacksmith, 47, born Nov 1852, was living with his wife Hannah R., 39, born Sep 1860. They were married 22 years and she had given birth to 7 children, all still living in 1900. Living with them: Matilda J., 18, Aug 1882; Ira, 13, born Oct 1886; and Merle E., 8, born Mar 1892. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
2. Census in 1910 in Traer, Tama, IA. The 1910 census recorded Ira Beccler (indexed wrong due to poor handwriting), 23, born in Pennsylvania, married to Serba Beccler, 24, born in Wisconsin.
3. Newspaper: Evening Times-Republican: Ira Beecher succeeds Wallace Gaston as clerk at the Wetzel store., 28 Aug 1911, Marshalltown, Marshall, IA, United States. 11
4. Newspaper: Evening Times-Republican: Ira Beecher and Roy Kern have purchased the Buckman restaurant and will get possession at once., 12 Apr 1915, Marshalltown, Marshall, IA, United States. 12
5. Newspaper: Evening Times-Republican: Ira Beecher succeeds E. E. Cox as manager of the Standard Oil Company business in Traer., 9 Nov 1918, Marshalltown, Marshall, IA, United States. 13
6. Census in 1920 in Traer, Tama, IA. 14 The 1920 census recorded Ira Beecher, 34, born in Pennsylvania, living with wife Leota, 34, born in Wisconsin, and her mother, Mary, 68, born in Pennsylvania.
7. Newspaper: Evening Times-Republican, 19 Jul 1920, Marshalltown, Marshall, IA, United States. 15 Mr. and Mrs. Ira Beecher are soon to leave Traer. Mr. Beecher is district manager for the Standard Oil Company in territory which makes it inadvisable to continue to live in Traer. The company is urging him to locate in West Liberty on account of better railroad connections.
8. Newspaper: Evening Times-Republican: The Standard Oil Company has decided to establish Ira Beecher at Cedar Rapids. Mr. Beecher has purchased a home in that city and will move Sept. 1., 3 Aug 1920, Marshalltown, Marshall, IA, United States. 16
9. Iowa State Census census in 1925 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 17 The 1925 Iowa State census recorded renting on 8th Avenue: I. A. Beecher, 38, with wife Leota, 38. Both were educated to the 11th grade. He was born in Pennsylvania, she in Wisconsin. His father was J. W. Beecher born in Pennsylvania, age 72. His mother was Hannah Heiser born in Pennsylvania, age 62. His parents were married in Pennsylvania. Her father was Peter Aldrich born in Michigan, deceased. Her mother was Mary Farnsworth born in Pennsylvania, age 72. Her parents were married in Vinton, Iowa. Ira and Leota were affiliated with the Presbyterian Church.
10. Census in 1930 in Torrance, Los Angeles, CA. 18 The 1930 census recorded Ira Beecher, 42, born in Pennsylvania, living with wife Mary L., 43, born in Wisconsin.
11. Newspaper: The Courier, 16 Mar 1938, Waterloo, Black Hawk, IA, United States. 19 Walker Newspaper Is Sold to Former Tama Co. Resident
12. Census in 1940 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 20 The 1940 census recorded Ira A. Beecher, 53, born in Pennsylvania, living with wife Mary L, 54, born in Wisconsin. Also with them is his mother-in-law Mary S. Hoover, 87, born in Pennsylvania; and two lodgers, Ersell F. Price, 45, and George W. Auld, 25, both born in Iowa.
13. Occupation: W. L. Perley, 1509 1st Ave, Cedar Rapids on 27 Apr 1942 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 7
14. He was described as 5'4" 180 pounds, blue eyes, brown hair, light complexion on 27 Apr 1942 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 7
15. Residence: 1502 C. Ave NE, Cedar Rapids, IA on 27 Apr 1942 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 7
16. Census in 1950 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 3 The 1950 census recorded at 1502 C Avenue: Ira A. Beecher, house painting, 63, living with wife Mary, 64. He was born in Pennsylvania and she in Wisconsin.
17. Residence: on 14 Jun 1957 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 6
18. Residence: Masoniic Home in Bettendorf in 1971 in Bettendorf, Scott, IA. 10
19. Obituary: The Gazette: obituary of Ira A. Beecher on 28 May 1973 in Cedar Rapids, Linn, IA. 10 Ira A. Beecher, 86, a resident of Cedar Rapids 45 years, died Sunday in a Davenport hospital. He was born Oct. 10, 1886, at Salem, Pa. On Nov. 24, 1909, at Traer he was married to Leota Aldrich. Mr. Beecher had been a retail clerk in Cedar Rapids grocery stores and had moved to the Masonic home in Bettendorf a year and a half ago to make his home. He was a member of Central Park Presbyterian church; a 50-year member of Mizpah lodge A.F. & A.M.; the York Rite bodies; Apollo commandery, K.T. (past commander); and Cedar chapter, O.E.S. Surviving are three brothers, William F., Tempe, Ariz.; Homer R., Bremerton, Wash., and Merrill E., Traer. Services: 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Central Park Presbyterian church by the Rev. Allen S. Van Cleve and Mizpah lodge No. 639 A.K. & A.M. Burial: Dysart cemetery. Friends may call at the Beatty-Beurle chapel. All Master Masons are asked to meet at the church at 12:30 p.m. for services.
Ira married Mary Leota Aldrich, daughter of Dr. Peter Mortimer Aldrich and Mary Susannah Farnsworth, on 24 Nov 1909 in Dysart, Tama, IA.1 2 3 (Mary Leota Aldrich was born on 13 Nov 1885 in New London, Waupaca, WI,1 5 21 22 died on 7 Aug 1970 and was buried in Dysart: Dysart Cemetery, Tama, IA 22.)
1 FamilySearch.org, Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XJJL-597 John W Beecher in entry for Ira A Beecher and Mary Leota Aldrich, 1909.
2 , 27 Nov 1909, page 3. Beecher-Aldrich Marriage.
3 "1950 United States Census," https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6FQW-9RLC Ira A Beecher Cedar Rapids IA.
4 , Iowa, Tama County, Dinsdale: Grant Township, Series: T623 Roll: 460 Page: 76.
5 "Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992" (www.FamilySearch.org), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XJ51-BY6 Ira A Beecher and Mary Leota Aldrich, 24 Nov 1909.
6 , 14 Jun 1957, page 8. Obituary of Rebecca Beecher.
7 FamilySearch.org, United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKCH-WQ4M Ira Ambrose Beecher, 27 Apr 1942.
8 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/151114672.
9 U.S. Social Security Death Index, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J1PB-D43 Ira Beecher, May 1973; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
10 "The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, IA)," 28 May 1973, page 3. Obituary of Ira A. Beecher.
11 , 28 Aug 1911, page 5.
12 , 12 Apr 1915, page 2.
13 , 9 Nov 1918, page 5.
14 , https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MDMJ-H4C Ira Beecher, Traer, Tama, Iowa, United States; citing sheet , family 325, NARA microfilm publication T625, FHL microfilm 1820514.
15 , 19 Jul 1920, Page 2.
16 , 3 Aug 1920, page 2.
17 , 1925, Linn, Cedar Rapids Precinct 14.
18 , https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XCJ5-B1K Ira Beecher, Torrance, Los Angeles, California, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 1054, sheet , family 35, NARA microfilm publication .
19 , 16 Mar 1938, page 11.
20 , https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMYL-B2R Mary L Beecher in household of Ira A Beecher, Area A, Cedar Rapids, Rapids Township, Linn, Iowa, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 57-48, sheet 2B, family 53.
21 FamilySearch.org, Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XR2R-FFX Peter M. Aldrich and Mary S. Farnsworth in entry for birth of female Aldrich, 13 Nov 1885.
22 , https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/151114683.