|Emma Margaret Beacher
Another name for Emma was Sadie Beacher.
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census in 1870 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 12 While Benjamin is listed in Shenandoah living with his brothers and mother, his wife Sarah Bucher, age 24, is in Shenandoah living without her husband on the day the census was recorded: 20 Aug 1870. The only other person in the household is her daughter, Emma, age 1.
2. Census in 1880 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 13 William Jacobs, laborer, (age 70) was living with wife, Mary (57) and his 10-year old granddaughter, Sadie Beacher. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
3. Occupation: Seamstress in 1886 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 14 When her mother died when Emma Margaret was 16, being the oldest daughter, she had to take care of her younger brothers and sisters. She worked in the tailor business of her uncle Will Jacobs sewing for men, women and children. She became a good tailoress herself and could make everything including men's suits.
4. Census in 1900 in Mahanoy City, Schuylkill, PA. 15 The 1900 census recorded Alfred Harix, coal laborer, 33, born Jun 1867, living with wife Emma, 30, Nov 1870; Harold, 7, Apr 1893; Ethel, 5, May 1895; and Hazel, 3, Oct 1897. They were married 11 years and Emma had given birth to 4 children, 3 still alive in 1900. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania except Alfred's parents in England.
5. Census in 1910 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 16 The 1910 census recorded at 24 Line Street: Alfred Harrox, working in a brewery, 46, living with wife Emma, 40; Harrold C., 17; Hazel M., 12; and Albert B., 6. Emma had been married for 21 years and birthed 5 children and 3 were alive in 1910. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania, except Alfred's parents were born in England.
6. Census in 1920 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 17 The 1920 census recorded renting a home at 310 N. Jardin Street: Alfred Harrop [Harrox], laborer in coal mine, 50, living with wife Emma, 50; Harrold, manager retail store, 27; Hazel, 22; and Albert, 16. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania, except Alfred's parents were born in England.
7. Census in 1930 in Upper Darby, Delaware, PA. 18 The 1930 Census recorded owning a home at 7234 Clinton Road: Harry E. Miller, carpenter, 32, living with wife Hazel, 32; daughter Claire, 10; and father-in-law Alfred Horrox, 63; mother-in-law Emma Horrox, 61; and brother-in-law Albert Horrox, 26.
8. Residence: 7234 Clinton Rd., Upper Darby, Pa. On 20 Dec 1930 in Upper Darby, Delaware, PA. 19
9. Census in 1940 in Hazleton, Luzerne, PA. 20 The 1940 census recorded renting a home at 111 N. Church Street in Hazelton: Harold Horrox, 46, manager, living with wife Cletus, 48; and his widowed mother, Emma, 71. In 1935 Harold was living in Morris, New Jersey, and his mother Emma in Philadelphia
10. Cause of Death: Emma died at Elmwood Sanatorium from acute myocarditis, uremia, 7 Jan 1947, Springfield, Delaware, PA. 8
11. Residence: Newtown Square, Larchmont, PA on 7 Jan 1947 in Larchmont, Delaware, PA. 8
12. Obituary: Chester Times: obituary of Mrs. Emma M. Horrox on 10 Jan 1947 in Chester, Delaware, PA. 11 Funeral services were held on Friday at 11 a. m. today from 1820 Chestnut street, Philadelphia, for Mrs. Emma M. Horrox, widow of Alfred E. Horrox, formerly of Shenandoah, Pa., who died on Tuesday. She had lived for the past 18 years with her daughter, Mrs. Harry E. Miller, West Chester pike, Larchmont. She is survived by her daughter and two sons, Harold of Washington and Albert, or 317 West Springfield road, Springfield. Interment was in Fernwood Cemetery.
Emma married Alfred E. Horrox, son of Edward Horrox and Ann Lee, on 22 Apr 1889 in , Schuylkill, PA.1 (Alfred E. Horrox was born on 13 Jan 1867 in Mahanoy City, Schuylkill, PA,3 4 19 21 22 died on 20 Dec 1930 in Upper Darby, Delaware, PA 3 4 19 22 and was buried on 23 Dec 1930 in Lansdowne: Fernwood Cemetery, Delaware, PA 3 4 19 22.)
1 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFWH-D4C Alfred Harrox and Emma M Beacher, 1889.
2 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, 1 Dec 1978.
3 Records of Karen Stehle.
4 Fernwood Cemetery, Lansdowne, Delaware County, PA.
5 Schalk, Adolf W. and Hon. D.C. Henning, editors, History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (State Historical Association, 1907. Found in Pennsylvania State Library, R974.863 Sch. 13 V.2), Volume II, pages 44-46.
6 Bible of Benjamin F. and Sarah Jane Beacher.
7 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=127320644.
8 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 2768. Emma M. Horrox. Father Benjamin F. Bedlier [sic - should be Beacher]. Mother Sarah Jane Jacobs. Spouse Alfred Horrox.
9 Republican and Herald (Pottsville, PA) (www.republicanherald.com), 22 Nov 1922, page 1. Obituary of B. F. Beacher Sr.
10 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255192; National Archives Film T9-1192; Page 524B.
11 Chester Times (Chester, Delaware, Pennsylvania.), 10 Jan 1947. Obituary of Emma M. Horrox.
12 1870 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah, Roll 1450 Book 1, Page 601.
13 1880 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah, Series: T9 Roll: 1192 Page: 524.
14 Horrox, Hazel M. (1897-1979), Record of the Beacher Family (1970. Typewritten family history narrative.).
15 1900 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M34Q-S5T Alfred Harix, 1900.
16 1910 United States Census, Year: 1910; Census Place: Shenandoah Ward 3, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1419; Page: 9A; Enumeration District: 0087; FHL microfilm: 1375432. Entry for Alfred Harrox.
17 1920 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MXSJ-GD8 Alfred Harrop, 1920.
18 1930 United States Census, Year: 1930; Census Place: Upper Darby, Delaware, Pennsylvania; Roll: 2033; Page: 34A; Enumeration District: 143; Image: 688.0; FHL microfilm: 2341767.
19 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 114913. Alfred E. Horrox. Father not listed. Mother Ann Lee. Spouse Emma M. Horrox.
20 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQD2-TG7 Emma Horrox in entry for Harold Horrox, 1940.
21 1880 United States Census, (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MWVW-RYH James Horrox in entry for Ann Scholes, 1880.
22 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=132841396.